Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    gator
    Quote Originally Posted by patriot45 View Post
    I waant one too! I heard you can get that booger over 1000 degrees! Sear a steak, Oh my! And you can keep the temp down enuf to cook some killer ribs! Post pics!
    You always want the wrong thing. A Big Green Egg is really nothing more than an expensive and hard to use pressure cooker.

Gas grills, Cuban boxes, Green Eggs; they all are substitutes for the real thing.

To get the real in depth BBQ flavor you need a smoker with an offset fire box. You need to cook real slow with real wood to get the real BBQ flavor. Anything other than that and you are missing the boat. You may turn out decent food with these other gadgets but it is not the real thing. I have been telling you that for years.

The stereotype for you yankee boys is that you are hard headed and stubborn. Just listen to Uncle Gator for a change and you thank me for it later. You know that I am always right.

Quote Originally Posted by gator View Post
    You always want the wrong thing. A Big Green Egg is really nothing more than an expensive and hard to use pressure cooker.

Gas grills, Cuban boxes, Green Eggs; they all are substitutes for the real thing.

To get the real in depth BBQ flavor you need a smoker with an offset fire box. You need to cook real slow with real wood to get the real BBQ flavor. Anything other than that and you are missing the boat. You may turn out decent food with these other gadgets but it is not the real thing. I have been telling you that for years.

The stereotype for you yankee boys is that you are hard headed and stubborn. Just listen to Uncle Gator for a change and you thank me for it later. You know that I am always right.
    I've gotta go with Gator on this. God invented burnable trees for the sole purpose of providing charcoal and tasty woods to be used in BBQ. The shade and fruit and all that are just examples of Divine generosity.

Of course, ribs cooked almost any way are superior to a lot of food. :)

gator
    Quote Originally Posted by Gingersnap View Post
    Of course, ribs cooked almost any way are superior to a lot of food. :)
    Ribs are just like sex. The worst I have ever has in my life was still wonderful.

An Adversary of Linda #'s
    Ribs are just like sex. The worst I have ever has in my life was still wonderful.
    How high did you rate the Gator sex ?Just kidding . what brand smoker do you use ?I have been planning to build my own with an offset smoke box and burning hickory wood !They don't look very difficult to design and fabricate .

Also how do you feel about the vertical electric fired water smokers ? The Grill/smokers I've seen have a rather small smoke box unless you plan on buying an elaborate competition job but those are sure expensive.

I just want to smoke some brisket,fish and turn some smoked jalapeño into chipotles and someday even try a turkey.I've had some good results with an old beat-up charcoal grill with a small castiron frying pan filled with hardwood sawdust but I have to change the sawdust after about an hour and lose the smoke.

Those offset boxes are good because they keep the heat down and minimizes smoke loss when more wood is needed . The meat smokes and doesn't overheat .

I did boston butts yesterday .....and used a dry rub, originally found on the web a few years ago and have modified it to the following:

3 parts Coarse Black Pepper
    3 parts Kosher Salt
    3 parts Brown Sugar
    2 parts Spanish Paprika
    2 parts Garlic Powder, and
    2 parts Cumin

Turned out EXCELLENT ....

Put the butts on at 0730 @ 215 - 220 degrees with Charcoal and apple wood for the smoke ...

2 hours later began mopping the butts hourly with a solution of:

1 cup apple cider vinegar
    1/2 cup water
    3 TBS worcestershire sauce
    2 TBS vegetable oil and
    3 TBS black pepper

Butts were on for 10 hours --- at the 8 hour mark - stopped smoking, wrapped them in foil and returned to the cooker for 2 hours at @ 300 degrees ...

FALL OF THE BONE, MELT IN YOUR MOUTH good, my friends .... DID NOT need any BBQ sauce ----- wish you could have joined us ...

BTW, i have a char broil silver smoker looking very near like the photo below

Last edited by TandT; 04-06-2009 at 02:37 PM.

gator
    Quote Originally Posted by megimoo View Post
    [SIZE="3"]How high did you rate the Gator sex ?
    I was drunk, I don't remember it very well but my friends told me I had a great time.

what brand smoker do you use ?I have been planning to build my own with an offset smoke box and burning hickory wood !They don't look very difficult to design and fabricate .
    I don't have a smoker now. I can buy all the good BBQ I want so there is no need for me to fix my own. When I lived in Washington State and couldn't get real BBQ I bought a Brinkman's down at WalMart and it worked fine. The only problem is that I had to use apple wood because they didn't have hickory.

By the way, it took me about a year before I learned how to make good BBQ. There is a lot to learn and you won't get it right the first time.

Also how do you feel about the vertical electric fired water smokers ?
    They are slightly better than gas grills but that is about it. They are a subsitute but still nowhere as good. I would get a charcoal one before an electric.

I just want to smoke some brisket,fish and turn some smoked jalapeño into chipotles and someday even try a turkey.I've had some good results with an old beat-up charcoal grill with a small castiron frying pan filled with hardwood sawdust but I have to change the sawdust after about an hour and lose the smoke.
    You can do a lot with a charcoal grill.

The best by far to get is an offset firebox smoker. If you don't want to get one then you will never cook really good meat.

The second best is a charcoal grill or charcoal smoker. That will be a passable subsitute.

Electric and gas grills/smokers will dry out meat for the most part and will never be anywhere as good.

Gas grills have their place. People use them because they are easy but they don't even come close to a real smoker. I have a Weber and I use it to brown meat sometimes before putting it into the oven and to cook hot dogs. It is a good emergency heat source in case we have a hurricane but it really doesn't cook meat all that good.

I can cook much better steaks or hamburgers in a hot cast iron skillet than I can on a gas grill. You very seldom find professional cooks using a gas grill and there is a reason for it. Some people can cook good food on a gas grill but they are few and far between.

An Adversary of Linda #'s
    I was drunk, I don't remember it very well but my friends told me I had a great time.

I don't have a smoker now. I can buy all the good BBQ I want so there is no need for me to fix my own. When I lived in Washington State and couldn't get real BBQ I bought a Brinkman's down at WalMart and it worked fine. The only problem is that I had to use apple wood because they didn't have hickory.

By the way, it took me about a year before I learned how to make good BBQ. There is a lot to learn and you won't get it right the first time.

They are slightly better than gas grills but that is about it. They are a subsitute but still nowhere as good. I would get a charcoal one before an electric.

You can do a lot with a charcoal grill.

The best by far to get is an offset firebox smoker. If you don't want to get one then you will never cook really good meat.

The second best is a charcoal grill or charcoal smoker. That will be a passable subsitute.

Electric and gas grills/smokers will dry out meat for the most part and will never be anywhere as good.

Gas grills have their place. People use them because they are easy but they don't even come close to a real smoker. I have a Weber and I use it to brown meat sometimes before putting it into the oven and to cook hot dogs. It is a good emergency heat source in case we have a hurricane but it really doesn't cook meat all that good.

I can cook much better steaks or hamburgers in a hot cast iron skillet than I can on a gas grill. You very seldom find professional cooks using a gas grill and there is a reason for it. Some people can cook good food on a gas grill but they are few and far between.
    Good advice,Thank you !

Lots of grill snobs here I see...lol

Patriot, those ribs are making my mouth water...Also, I have slow cooked baby back ribs on my dad's gas grill, and they were delicious, falling off the bone juicy and tender.

But me, personally, I use an old school Weber charcoal grill.

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkgirl View Post
    Lots of grill snobs here I see...lol

Patriot, those ribs are making my mouth water...Also, I have slow cooked baby back ribs on my dad's gas grill, and they were delicious, falling off the bone juicy and tender.

But me, personally, I use an old school Weber charcoal grill.
    when i grill (or have a small portion to smoke) i also use the pot-bellied weber ...

truth be told, i have NEVER used a gas grill .... :D

Quote Originally Posted by Space Gravy View Post
    I've heard from word of mouth from a few people they are awesome. I'll know soon enough.

Check out some of these videos.

http://www.biggreenegg.com/videos/videos.html
    Oh hot damn! That's almost as sexy as Megan Fox that is! :D
    Stand up for what is right, even if you have to stand alone.