Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    The founding fathers provided us with the means to choose our leaders, and by doing so, choosing the direction our nation will head. I think they would be proud of that, and if they didn't like where it was headed at this moment, would figure that either this is what most of the people wanted, and if they didn't like what they got, they could get rid of it in 2-4 years.

Quote Originally Posted by noonwitch View Post
    The founding fathers provided us with the means to choose our leaders, and by doing so, choosing the direction our nation will head. I think they would be proud of that, and if they didn't like where it was headed at this moment, would figure that either this is what most of the people wanted, and if they didn't like what they got, they could get rid of it in 2-4 years.
    They also provided us with a foundation of law - and a means to alter that law - ie the amendment process - as well as checks and balances - but leftist judges and leftists in general are not at all interested in abiding by that law and process and seek to change the law by judicial fiat. When a judge can raise the taxes levied on people - there is a serious problem.
    Stand up for what is right, even if you have to stand alone.

From all I've read, the founding fathers became aware that they'd left a loophole open for the judiciary branch to become an oligarchy...and Jefferson hoped that we'd find a way to close that loophole. Of course, we didn't, so we now live in a country that is controlled by a powerful ruling elite that possesses the power to "interpret" anything they please into the Constitution.

I believe the founding fathers would have cheered the end of slavery, but would be aghast and ashamed of many of the "progressive" decisions made through the judicial branch...especially the many Pastors and Ministers that signed the Declaration, those who have been carefully eliminated from American History classes in the name of a "separation" they supposedly supported.
    -
    -
    -

In actual dollars, President Obama’s $4.4 trillion in deficit spending in just three years is 37 percent higher than the previous record of $3.2 trillion (held by President George W. Bush) in deficit spending for an entire presidency. It’s no small feat to demolish an 8-year record in just 3 years.

Under Obama’s own projections, interest payments on the debt are on course to triple from 2010 (his first budgetary year) to 2018, climbing from $196 billion to $685 billion annually.

Quote Originally Posted by FlaGator View Post
    I've been told that I have a pretty jaded view of mankind and this statement isn't going to help that impression but, I think that we have become a society that is incapable of shame.
    Speak for yourself, FlaGator...

Im sorry you feel shame and disgust for our country and society. I cannot speak for everyone, just myself, but I feel shame when I, as an individual does something wrong. When that happens I fully expect retribution.

Conversely, I feel great pride in America.

Someday maybe you will too.

I used to feel that pride also. The primary reason I decided long ago that no finer career path could I be called to than to "serve my Country".

But somewhere during those twenty years I was in uniform we went from a hard working, relatively ethical Nation of individuals to a Nation of self serving, self centered and greedy spoiled brats in adult clothing who ask not "what they can do for their Country....", but "What's in it for me?"

I stand aghast at what this once fine Nation is devolving into.

My only consolation is that I can say that "my time" of living in this Nation was the best of times for it, until recently, at any rate. I would have liked to have seen it passed on to subsequent generations with the strength and integrity intact. Alas! This is apparently not to be.

Our present greed is being added to the debt your children will have to pay off (or default on, more likely). A sad ending to the once richest Nation on the planet.

I say "your children" because, by mutual prenuptial agreement with my present wife of 27 years, we have no children to leave burdened with the "State of the Union" as it is. I "saw" this coming all those years ago, I just didn't realize it would get this bad before my time was done.

LS

Quote Originally Posted by Fergus View Post

Im sorry you feel shame and disgust for our country and society. I cannot speak for everyone, just myself, but I feel shame when I, as an individual does something wrong. When that happens I fully expect retribution.

First of all I was speaking for myself, but you seem to be putting a lot of words in my mouth that I didn't say. It seems that you are the one attempting to speak for me. I wasn't speaking about America in specific. I was speaking about mankind in general. I do have a lot of pride in my country. What I said was we have become a society of no shame. Children are born out of wedlock and there is no shame. Children are sucked out of the womb and there is no shame. Politicians get caught stealing and lying and their is no shame. People get killed because someone else wants their shoes or jackets or money and there is no shame. People make a career out of living off government handouts and there is no shame.
    Last edited by FlaGator; 04-08-2009 at 01:13 PM.

I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else.
    C. S. Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by Fergus View Post

He's right on. Alot of us feel pride in the values that America "stands for" as they are written in the founding documents. It's the living up to those standards and how they are treated in practice lately that gives us pause.
    Gun Control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound - Unknown

The problem is Empty People, Not Loaded Guns - Linda Schrock Taylor

Quote Originally Posted by linda22003 View Post
    "Well, posterity, you will never know what it cost us to preserve your freedom. I only hope that you will make a good use of it. If you do not, I shall repent in heaven that I ever took half the pains to preserve it."
    ~John Adams~

There's your answer.
    Awesome! Gonna have to borrow that one for my blog...
    Obama-if you're being run out of town, get out in front and pretend that it's a parade!!!

I have this one as part of the signature on my email -
    "Let the American youth never forget, that they possess a noble inheritance, bought by the toils, and sufferings, and blood of their ancestors; and capacity, if wisely improved, and faithfully guarded, of transmitting to their latest posterity all the substantial blessings of life, the peaceful enjoyment of liberty, property, religion, and independence." —Justice Joseph Story
    Stand up for what is right, even if you have to stand alone.

Once upon a time...even Democrats could say, "Ask not what your country can do for you, but what you can do for your country."

Now the Democratic answer is...I hate repukes, the second amendment, common sense and work. I've done enough. Where's my stimulus money/free healthcare/24x7 entertainment/pony?
    -
    -
    -

In actual dollars, President Obama’s $4.4 trillion in deficit spending in just three years is 37 percent higher than the previous record of $3.2 trillion (held by President George W. Bush) in deficit spending for an entire presidency. It’s no small feat to demolish an 8-year record in just 3 years.

Under Obama’s own projections, interest payments on the debt are on course to triple from 2010 (his first budgetary year) to 2018, climbing from $196 billion to $685 billion annually.