1. #1 Yogurt Yumminess! 
    In an effort to make some equal time for those of us who aren't interested in 15,000 calorie meals, let's talk yogurt!

I make my own yogurt on and off and I'm ready to whip up another batch this weekend. I bought some Oikos plain yogurt for my starter this time.

What kinds of yogurt do you like? Do you ever make it? How? What do you put into it? Do you use a purpose-build yogurt-maker or just a jar?

If you don't like yogurt, what's the problem? Too girly? Texture issues? No bacon-flavor? :D

Power CUer
    I haven't made it in years. I have gotten to the point where I prefer plain, and I add cinnamon to it sometimes; the fruit yogurts are now far too sweet for me. When we were in Sweden I adopted their practice of mixing yogurt with muesli for breakfast, and now it's often how I start the day.
    "Today, [the American voter] chooses his rulers as he buys bootleg whiskey, never knowing precisely what he is getting, only certain that it is not what it pretends to be." - H.L. Mencken

I make yoghurt and tend to use the last of a batch to make the next lot. It keeps well in the fridge and I make about a pint at a time. I have one of these:

which was very cheap and is a plastic jar which keeps the milk at a constant temperature, easy to use and hasn't let me down in 10 years.

As for use, I like Bircher muesli (the oats are soaked in fruit juice and yoghurt overnight before fruit etc is added) although sometimes I'll add flax or sesame seeds. Yoghurt is also a good base for dips if you want a lighter option than a mayo base. (I presume you could add crispy bacon bits to it. :D)

Quote Originally Posted by linda22003 View Post
    I haven't made it in years. I have gotten to the point where I prefer plain, and I add cinnamon to it sometimes; the fruit yogurts are now far too sweet for me. When we were in Sweden I adopted their practice of mixing yogurt with muesli for breakfast, and now it's often how I start the day.
    Yes, that's the way they often eat it over there. I don't really care for muesli so I always had it plain or with some cut-up fruit (my relatives thought I was weird to dislike muesli). I think I could possibly try that again with some kind of different crunchy item. Maybe a coconut sort of thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Gingersnap View Post
    Yes, that's the way they often eat it over there. I don't really care for muesli so I always had it plain or with some cut-up fruit (my relatives thought I was weird to dislike muesli). I think I could possibly try that again with some kind of different crunchy item. Maybe a coconut sort of thing.
    If you want crunchy try this granola recipe I first found in a Nigella Lawson book I have made it often and it is good.

450 g. rolled oats
    60 g. sunflower seeds
    120 g. sesame seeds
    175 g. apple compote or apple sauce (I made my own, straining it to make it completely smooth)
    2 teaspoons cinnamon
    1 teaspoon ginger
    120 g. golden syrup
    4 tablespoons runny honey
    100 g. light brown sugar
    150 g. almonds (with or without skins as you prefer), coarsely chopped
    100 g. hazelnuts, coarsely chopped
    1 teaspoon Maldon salt
    300 g. raisins

In a BIG bowl, mix the dry ingedients, minus the raisins, add the wet and give a good stir. That was pretty hard, huh?

Divide on to rimmed baking sheets and put in a 170 degrees celcius preheated oven. Leave for about 10 minutes, then give both sheets a good stir, maybe swapping their places in the oven. Let the granola in there for another 10 minutes, stir, swap. Keep this up for about 30-40 minutes in total, until nicely toasted and golden. Leave to cool, then mix with the raisins. Enjoy on yoghurt, tykmælk or by the handful as Nigella suggests. But enjoy, you will!
    http://foodandthoughts.blogspot.com/...a-you-bet.html

Quote Originally Posted by bijou View Post
    If you want crunchy try this granola recipe I first found in a Nigella Lawson book I have made it often and it is good.

http://foodandthoughts.blogspot.com/...a-you-bet.html
    Interesting. That's probably too sweet for me as written but it could be tweaked. I adore seeds and nuts.

started making yogurt when are goats started making far more milk than we could drink. now we are making cheese.i have about 15 pounds of cheese in the refridgerator now. my favorite one is just starting to get good now. i put some rouqfurt cheese in with it and now this delicous mold is growing all over it.i am going to get fat!

I tweaked Bijou's recipe to be more nuts/seeds and less cow food. I don't have golden syrup so I went with more honey (yes, it's raw and organic). I added chopped dates. :)