Thread: NHS To Identity Fat People.

1. #1 NHS To Identity Fat People. 
    'Fat test' to tackle obesity

ALL the latest news

Published Date: 13 April 2009

Overweight people in Wigan will be called to their GP for a 'fat test' in a new drive to beat obesity.
    Following the Healthy Weight, Healthy Lives: One Year On report, anyone aged between 40 and 74 will be called in to their GP for a health check and prescribed weight management and exercise plan if they are found to be overweight.

The NHS Health Checks will involve taking height and weight measurements and plotting body mass index, aiming to identify an individual's risk of heart disease, stroke, type two diabetes and kidney disease.

The borough is already ahead of the new proposals by introducing the Lose Weight, Feel Great programme.

In conjunction with the Ashton, Leigh and Wigan Primary Care Trust, the programme offers support and advice about healthy living.

A spokesman for ALW PCT said: "The Healthy Weight, Healthy Lives: One Year On report sets out a number of priorities for the future including the beginning of the roll-out of NHS Health Checks for 40-74 year olds during the next 12 months.
    Don't they already know that they're fat?

Wigan Today

I would guess that about half the population of Britain that falls into that age group are obese. Looking for fat people in Britain is about as challenging as looking for people with crooked teeth there.

In 2007 all the states, except COLORADO(18.7%), had over 20% of their population classified as obese. The highest was Mississippi at 32%, so we are right up there with the U.K. Don't give CONgress any ideas like taxing us based on our BMI!
    Last edited by tacitus; 04-13-2009 at 04:49 PM.
    "If every poor man is to come here and start requesting money for all his children, the applicants will never be satisfied and the nation's finances will collapse." Emperor Tiberius: Tacitus:Annals

I guess I still don't know what the outreach angle is all about here. Fat people know when they're fat. They already know that they eat too much. They understand that steamed veggies and plain water have a lot fewer calories than a big Mac and a shake. They know about the minor impact exercise has on weight. They "get" it. Every single fat person I've ever known knows way more about calories counts than I ever will.

What's the point of taking up a doctor's time to tell them that they should lose weight?

You don't understand ... these people are overweight, and it's the governments job to fix that, because it's the government that made them that way. Somehow, we didn't warn them enough, or make them excersize enough.

/sarcasm off

I agree with tacitus ... don't give Congress any ideas. All we need is one or two Republicans thinking that this will make them suddently "super health conscious" and you know that the Dems will vote for something like that in a heartbeat. Anything that says taxes on it means big dollar signs for pet "stimulus" projects in Dems eyes. To be fair, the Republicans haven't been much better recently.

When did Wisconson (home of we'll fry anything) lose it's top position as the most over wieght state in the Union????
    "Keep, ancient lands, your storied pomp!" cries she with silent lips.
    "Give me your tired, your poor,
    Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free,
    The wretched refuse of your teeming shore,
    Send these, the homeless, tempest-post to me,
    I lift my lamp beside the golden door!"

Power CUer
    The Deep South is the home of "we'll fry anything.... in lard."
    "Today, [the American voter] chooses his rulers as he buys bootleg whiskey, never knowing precisely what he is getting, only certain that it is not what it pretends to be." - H.L. Mencken

Quote Originally Posted by Gingersnap View Post
    Don't they already know that they're fat?

Wigan Today
    Gotta love a nanny state!
    Stand up for what is right, even if you have to stand alone.

Quote Originally Posted by tacitus View Post
    In 2007 all the states, except COLORADO(18.7%), had over 20% of their population classified as obese. The highest was Mississippi at 32%, so we are right up there with the U.K. Don't give CONgress any ideas like taxing us based on our BMI!
    That might not be so bad actually. It'll get people on those treadmills.