Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 "Why Change ? With A New Operating System It's Better to Wait A While !" 
    An Adversary of Linda #'s
    Windows 7: 83% Of Businesses Won't Deploy Next Year

New data shows that the vast majority of corporate IT departments won't touch Microsoft's next OS until at least 2011. Microsoft (NSDQ: MSFT) may need to keep its Windows XP operating system around a little longer -- at least for its deep-pocketed corporate customers.... The survey, of more than 1,100 IT professionals, is one of the first extensive looks at Windows 7's early sales prospects. It found that a whopping 83% of enterprises plan to skip the OS in its first year. While the business market typically tends toward caution when it comes to new products, the figure is nonetheless...

http://www.informationweek.com/news/...ubSection=News

That's too bad. Windows 7 is wonderful ... I'm running it right now, and it's just amazing, especially when you compare it to Vista. It takes less RAM, operates almost flawlessly. The biggest problem I see with it is the new way that Microsoft has decided to look at networking ... it's definitely something completely different as an idea, and seems rather difficult to turn off. Of course, to be fair, most IT Pros have a tendency to get everything set up one way, get comfortable, and then just fight and fight to stay that way.

An Adversary of Linda #'s
    Quote Originally Posted by natepiano View Post
    That's too bad. Windows 7 is wonderful ... I'm running it right now, and it's just amazing, especially when you compare it to Vista. It takes less RAM, operates almost flawlessly. The biggest problem I see with it is the new way that Microsoft has decided to look at networking ... it's definitely something completely different as an idea, and seems rather difficult to turn off. Of course, to be fair, most IT Pros have a tendency to get everything set up one way, get comfortable, and then just fight and fight to stay that way.
    There are only so many hours in a day and when you have to maintain a huge data base and provide networking to hundreds of users and any lost data is a potential crisis can you blame them ?After any software update it usually takes weeks of complaints to finally settle down and people work around any problems .The last thing they need is a new operating system or even a new major patch !

Thanks, Bill. How's everything going at MS these days since you stepped down? :D

Seriously, the OS may be great but how are your everyday apps getting along playing in a new neighborhood? I spend a lot of my time in Photoshop. Any experience using Photoshop in 7?
    Better to die on your feet than live on your knees.

Linux
    "If every poor man is to come here and start requesting money for all his children, the applicants will never be satisfied and the nation's finances will collapse." Emperor Tiberius: Tacitus:Annals

Quote Originally Posted by tacitus View Post
    Linux
    Leopard :D :p
    "Because we're a great nation, our challenges seem complex; it will always be this way. But as long as we remember our first principals and believe in ourselves, the future will always be ours." -Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by AHeneen View Post
    Leopard :D :p
    Some liberals said they perferred PUMA but then settled for Obama MN.

I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else.
    C. S. Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by AlmostThere View Post
    Thanks, Bill. How's everything going at MS these days since you stepped down? :D

Seriously, the OS may be great but how are your everyday apps getting along playing in a new neighborhood? I spend a lot of my time in Photoshop. Any experience using Photoshop in 7?
    Nope. I'm not much of a photoshop type of guy. As far as everyday apps, I use adobe fairly regularly, firefox, trend micro, and WoW. Thats about it heh. You will find though, that 7 isn't much different from vista. In fact, I would go as far to say that almost everything that works in vista will work in 7. It's not so much of a completely new operating system (like vista was) as much as a general improvement on vista.

I like leopard too ... but when i can pay half the price and get twice the computing power, I tend to go PC. Macs are excellent computers, but tend to be a little over-priced. And don't give me that silly "but they don't get viruses" speech. They don't get viruses because they only have 5-10% of the market share, and whose going to write something for 5-10% when you can have 70-80% (a rough estimate)? Yes, I'm aware that's not the only reason.

I work in the Geekquad (BestBuy) and go out to people's homes on a daily basis fixing computers, so I'm very used to having the Mac vs PC conversation. There is value in both. I'm no Mac OR PC fanboi!

And to respond to megimoo, I definitely feel you on the whole responding to people's complaints about X. Common sense ... isn't really that common.

Until I discover a problem with XP, I'm not changing.. The only reason I would change is if I thought XP was flawed in some way, and I can't find one thing I don't like about it.. It's very stable and able to recover from just about any crash.. Newer doesn't always mean better.

I tried 7, but the networking was stupid.. Why make it so different!! I might as well have been using a MAC-foreign to me. I uninstalled it.
    Obama-if you're being run out of town, get out in front and pretend that it's a parade!!!

Nope. I'm not much of a photoshop type of guy. As far as everyday apps, I use adobe fairly regularly, firefox, trend micro, and WoW. Thats about it heh. You will find though, that 7 isn't much different from vista. In fact, I would go as far to say that almost everything that works in vista will work in 7. It's not so much of a completely new operating system (like vista was) as much as a general improvement on vista.
    I don't use Vista. It's XP Pro on both my machines. My wife runs Vista on her personal laptop and I'm not a fan. I would love to be able to access more than 4G of ram because of Photoshop. I do a little work with video and that screams for ram so I keep hoping.
    Better to die on your feet than live on your knees.