Thread: Ahmadinnerjacket

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by biccat View Post

With a telephone pole:eek::)

Power CUer
    Quote Originally Posted by Cold Warrior View Post
    :eek: My God! Why would you purposely intend never to travel outside of your own country? :eek:
    That makes NO sense at all.

Power CUer
    [QUOTE=Gingersnap;14922]If you are never going to travel outside the country and you have no interest in reading literature or research, knowing another language is simply unnecessary. It is an accomplishment akin to ballroom dancing.

QUOTE]

Why was the study of foreign languages required by schools back in the day when people traveled abroad far less than they do now?

Goldwater
    That picture just looks wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Cold Warrior View Post
    :eek: My God! Why would you purposely intend never to travel outside of your own country? :eek:
    Because you have dependents and a low income, because you own a farm and you can't leave it for that length of time, because you have no interest in travel, because your discretionary income is earmarked for something else or just because.

There are many millions of people who never cross a border and aren't aching to do so. While there are benefits to travel in an educational sense, those benefits are actually declining with globalization.

Power CUer
    Quote Originally Posted by Gingersnap View Post
    There are many millions of people who never cross a border and aren't aching to do so. While there are benefits to travel in an educational sense, those benefits are actually declining with globalization.
    I can understand why some people are not able to travel. I don't understand the comment about the benefits of travel "actually declining with globalization", though.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Gingersnap View Post
    Because you have dependents and a low income, because you own a farm and you can't leave it for that length of time, because you have no interest in travel, because your discretionary income is earmarked for something else or just because.

Most of those EU travelers have not seen all the wonderful sights in this beautiful country. I have been to Germany but have no interest in going to France. I think it is a f. up country.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by linda22003 View Post
    I can understand why some people are not able to travel. I don't understand the comment about the benefits of travel "actually declining with globalization", though.
    One interpretation could be that the influence of globalization is making the world a bit of a cookie-cutter so that one place is like another. In some ways the US is like that. Why would anyone, for example, want to visit Jacksonville, FL or San Diego, CA, as they're made up of the same malls, with the same shops, selling the same goods.

noonwitch
    Quote Originally Posted by lacarnut View Post
    Most of those EU travelers have not seen all the wonderful sights in this beautiful country. I have been to Germany but have no interest in going to France. I think it is a f. up country.
    One of my friends went to France and said that the people outside of Paris are very friendly to american tourists. It's just in Paris that they are obnoxious.

Quote Originally Posted by linda22003 View Post
    Because opportunities to interact with other cultures, both virtual and IRL, are increasing everyday within the borders of many countries. It's possible to sample completely authentic foods, entertainments, and events without ever leaving home. I can at any time relax in a Russian steam bath, eat Moroccan food, view a traditional Thai storyteller, observe several types of Buddhist ceremonies, and learn North African spinning techniques from a North African and I live in Colorado!

The other side of this coin is that urban centers are increasingly more similar than different around the world. You see the same clothes, hear the same music, eat the same food you could get at home, and shop for the same merchandise. Needless to say, English is spoken almost everywhere.