Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Power CUer
    Quote Originally Posted by lacarnut View Post
    I have been to Germany but have no interest in going to France. I think it is a f. up country.
    Then you should definitely not go there. You wouldn't be a good advertisement for Americans.

Power CUer
    Quote Originally Posted by noonwitch View Post
    One of my friends went to France and said that the people outside of Paris are very friendly to american tourists. It's just in Paris that they are obnoxious.
    I've been to Paris several times, and people have always been nice to me. People treat you as they are treated, and that is true everywhere. Of course, you have to at least try to communicate on their terms. Amazingly enough, SHOUTING in English is not the next step up in understanding, from speaking in English. :p

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by linda22003 View Post
    Then you should definitely not go there. You wouldn't be a good advertisement for Americans.
    If I want the French experience, I can travel to Cajun country in south Louisiana where the happiest people on earth live and the best food is found. Plus it's not overpriced. You should try it sometimes. Of course, American elitist snobs would not be a good advertisement in that part of the country. BTW, if architecture is your thing, there are a lot of sights there.

Power CUer
    I have been in the bayou areas of Louisiana and enjoyed it very much. It's curious that you think one would have to like one or the other, but could not enjoy both experiences.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by linda22003 View Post
    I have been in the bayou areas of Louisiana and enjoyed it very much. It's curious that you think one would have to like one or the other, but could not enjoy both experiences.
    My problem with France is not the sights but the people. Too many anti-Americans for me which is true of other EU countries.
    Last edited by lacarnut; 07-01-2008 at 12:36 PM.

Power CUer
    When I was in Paris last year, people were very polite and friendly to me, and if they were anti-American they showed no indication of it on a personal level. However, when we were in Stockholm the previous year, a man sitting next to us in the bar at the Opera demanded to know "what we were going to do about our president". I said as jovially as I could that there was an election coming up, and something would be done about it then. I'm sorry to see that America's stock has gone down so far in the world, but I think it would be better restored under McCain than Obama.

Patent Member
    Quote Originally Posted by lacarnut View Post
    My problem with France is not the sights but the people. Too many anti-Americans for me which is true of other EU countries.
    You're confusing Paris with France.

When I was in Paris, the people were generally inconsiderate. I'm still not sure if it is because Paris is just a large city, or because its residents are just jerks.

The rest of France, however, is beautiful, and worth the trip. The drive from Paris to Germany is wonderful, and the people of rural France are very nice and welcoming.

Maybe that's why so many Germans have done it in the past... :D

Goldwater
    France was a good country for me, Paris (like New York) has that capital of the country private vibe, but it's still a great country. You get to the rural areas and you're having dinner with them and player poker in inns. :D

what I find curious is that our leaders spend more time with other nations. Explore you back yard, and all its splendor, then jump the fence and look where your neighbors are hiding the bodies.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Goldwater View Post
    France was a good country for me, Paris (like New York) has that capital of the country private vibe, but it's still a great country. You get to the rural areas and you're having dinner with them and player poker in inns. :D
    Denizens of large cities, such as Paris, NYC, London, or Hong Kong, always seem to outsiders to be rude as, dealing as they do at a faster pace with larger numbers, they tend to suffer fools less graciously. Parisians think -- shock, shock -- that if you're in their city, attempting to conduct business or to see the sites, you should speak their language. Believe me, Americans think the same thing. I've seen many, many Americans act rudely when someone approaches them speaking a foreign language.