Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
  1. #1 The End of Divorce? Growing Numbers of People Marrying Inanimate Objects 
    I believe wilbur was making fun of the slippery slope argument when it comes to homosexual marriage. While this article is not exactly on point, it does make one wonder what that hell is wrong with people.

Eija-Riitta Berliner-Mauer is married to the Berlin Wall. Like any couple, they’ve had their ups and downs, but over the years, they’ve been able to meet each other’s spiritual and emotional needs. “We even made it through the terrible disaster of 9 November 1989, when my husband was subjected to frenzied attacks by a mob. But we are still as much in love as the day we met,” Berliner-Mauer said last year.

Berliner-Mauer (the German name for the Berlin Wall, which she has taken as her last name) has since defined her love under the term “objectum sexual,” or OS—in other words, a person who falls in love with inanimate objects. As an animist, she, along with a growing group of others, believe that inanimate objects are sentient, intelligent beings.
    Read the rest
    Last edited by FlaGator; 04-14-2009 at 07:06 PM.

I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else.
    C. S. Lewis

Can they file their taxes jointly?

This thread leads to so many off-color comments it hard, if not impossible, to pick just one. :D
    Better to die on your feet than live on your knees.

As an animist, she, along with a growing group of others, believe that inanimate objects are sentient, intelligent beings.
    And compared to her, it's hard to argue that they aren't. :D
    --Odysseus
    Sic Hacer Pace, Para Bellum.

Before you can do things for people, you must be the kind of man who can get things done. But to get things done, you must love the doing, not the people!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by FlaGator View Post
    I believe wilbur was making fun of the slippery slope argument when it comes to homosexual marriage. While this article is not exactly on point, it does make one wonder what that hell is wrong with people.
    Making fun? No, just pointing out that its quite ridiculous. There are valid uses of slippery slopes, but not when comparing gay marriage to pedophilia or marriage to inanimate objects.

The Eiffel tower is at least somewhat phallic... you can see almost barely see a somewhat sensical psychological disorder there... but the Berlin wall? Weird!

Quote Originally Posted by wilbur View Post
    Making fun? No, just pointing out that its quite ridiculous. There are valid uses of slippery slopes, but not when comparing gay marriage to pedophilia or marriage to inanimate objects.

The Eiffel tower is at least somewhat phallic... you can see almost barely see a somewhat sensical psychological disorder there... but the Berlin wall? Weird!
    But the attempts are being made. You can make the arguement (which you have) that the legal system will never allow a person to marry a goat, but 30 years ago if you would have asked any one they would have told you the legal system would never allow 2 men to marry.

I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else.
    C. S. Lewis

eeeevil Sith Admin SarasotaRepub's Avatar
    So...it's ok now to be married to your work???:D
    May the FORCE be with you!

Quote Originally Posted by SarasotaRepub View Post
    So...it's ok now to be married to your work???:D
    Yes but you must be a mormon if you have a conventual wife too.

C. S. Lewis

This is why I advocate domestic partnerships. They are little different from an LLC with provisions and they skip all the tedious sexual entanglements.

It's obvious that once same-sex "marriage" is enacted that there little or no argument barring group marriage or incest for consenting adults. Monuments and appliances won't be far behind. Let's just take the sex angle out of it altogether for all the non-religious people. It will be less sticky.

Quote Originally Posted by Gingersnap View Post
    This is why I advocate domestic partnerships. They are little different from an LLC with provisions and they skip all the tedious sexual entanglements.

It's obvious that once same-sex "marriage" is enacted that there little or no argument barring group marriage or incest for consenting adults. Monuments and appliances won't be far behind. Let's just take the sex angle out of it altogether for all the non-religious people. It will be less sticky.
    I wonder if wilbur will point out to you as he has pointed out to me that this will never happen. The slippery slope idea is just silly when it comes to the long term ramifications of same-sex marriages

C. S. Lewis