Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 83

Hybrid View

  1. #1 Why are we paying so much for gas??? 
    Senior Member Constitutionally Speaking's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    4,301
    1 TRILLION barrels of oil in shale from under the Rocky Mountains

    http://www.heartland.org/Article.cfm?artId=18132


    - we can't touch it
    http://www.rockymountainnews.com/new...le-moratorium/

    5.7 Billion barrels of oil in ANWR

    http://www.eia.doe.gov/pub/oil_gas/p...ecsummary.html

    - we can't touch it.
    http://www.klamathbasincrisis.org/oi...Roil050708.htm

    5.9 Billion barrels of oil in NPRA
    http://pubs.usgs.gov/fs/2002/fs045-02/

    - we can't touch it.
    http://www.petroleumnews.com/pntruncate/327390290.shtml

    200 BILLION barrels of oil in N. Dakota

    http://finance.google.com/group/goog...deebc8b9379e5f

    - we can't touch it.
    http://www.bismarcktribune.com/artic...ers/151579.txt

    Add these up (all are low end estimates) and you get 1,211,600,000,000 barrels of oil in just those 4 areas. If we multiply 365 days x 21,000,000 daily consumption in barrels and you get an annual consumption of 7,665,000,000 barrels. If you divide that into the low end estimate of available oil in JUST the four areas mentioned above, you find that we have enough oil RIGHT HERE to be COMPLETELY independent of mideast oil for 158 years at current consumption rates.

    Why can't we go after our own oil???

    The other problem we have with the price of Gas is we cannot refine it fast enough.

    What are the issues preventing this???

    No new refining capacity for over 30 years. Why???? Lawsuits brought by environmentalists and restrictions made by politicians.

    Who is resposible for this???? Guess.

    Environmentalists and Democrats and the press.


    Are you fed up with $4.00 gas????

    Who should you blame??? Environmentalists, the Press and Democrats.
    Last edited by Constitutionally Speaking; 06-08-2008 at 10:03 AM.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  2. #2  
    Senior Member Constitutionally Speaking's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    4,301
    “Here’s one of the biggest steps forward for the Midwest, really the whole nation,” Mr. Daniels, a Republican, told reporters last week. “I don’t think it should be held up without a good scientific reason, and none has been provided.”

    According to documents on BP’s Web site, the new permit allows the refinery to discharge 1,584 pounds of ammonia, an increase of 54 percent over the current level, into the lake each day. Also allowed is discharge of up to 4,925 pounds of suspended solids into the lake each day, an increase of 35 percent. .

    Scott Dean, a spokesman for BP, said that the Indiana permit’s requirements were stricter than federal requirements, and that BP expected to operate well within those limits.

    “We followed the regulatory process to the letter and did everything by the book,” Mr. Dean said.

    The protests against the permit have been loudest from Chicago, Indiana’s urban neighbor to the northwest, where Mayor Richard M. Daley has been striving to create a green image for the city and its 30 miles of lakeshore. A committee of the Chicago City Council is scheduled to discuss the matter on Thursday.

    The Illinois governor, Rod R. Blagojevich, a Democrat, has threatened legal action to stop the additional discharge of pollutants.

    The permit is part of BP’s plan to expand and modernize the Whiting refinery, which was built in 1889 by the Standard Oil Company and which now processes 405,000 barrels of crude oil each day. About 1,700 people work at the facility, and BP has an annual payroll of about $100 million in Indiana. The expansion is set for completion in 2011.

    BP documents said the company would also spend $150 million to improve its wastewater treatment plant in Whiting, from which it discharges about 20 million gallons of treated wastewater a day, including the ammonia and suspended solids addressed by the permit, into Lake Michigan.

    http://www.nytimes.com/2007/07/31/us/31refinery.html


    Just one example the EPA approved it, yet that is not good enough - the enviro-idiots and their toadies are trying to stop it.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  3. #3  
     

  4. #4  
    Senior Member Space Gravy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    The South
    Posts
    1,435
    Quote Originally Posted by C Speaking View Post
    1 TRILLION barrels of oil in shale from under the Rocky Mountains

    http://www.heartland.org/Article.cfm?artId=18132


    - we can't touch it
    http://www.rockymountainnews.com/new...le-moratorium/

    5.7 Billion barrels of oil in ANWR

    http://www.eia.doe.gov/pub/oil_gas/p...ecsummary.html

    - we can't touch it.
    http://www.klamathbasincrisis.org/oi...Roil050708.htm

    5.9 Billion barrels of oil in NPRA
    http://pubs.usgs.gov/fs/2002/fs045-02/

    - we can't touch it.
    http://www.petroleumnews.com/pntruncate/327390290.shtml

    200 BILLION barrels of oil in N. Dakota

    http://finance.google.com/group/goog...deebc8b9379e5f

    - we can't touch it.
    http://www.bismarcktribune.com/artic...ers/151579.txt

    Add these up (all are low end estimates) and you get 1,211,600,000,000 barrels of oil in just those 4 areas. If we multiply 365 days x 21,000,000 daily consumption in barrels and you get an annual consumption of 7,665,000,000 barrels. If you divide that into the low end estimate of available oil in JUST the four areas mentioned above, you find that we have enough oil RIGHT HERE to be COMPLETELY independent of mideast oil for 158 years at current consumption rates.

    Why can't we go after our own oil???

    The other problem we have with the price of Gas is we cannot refine it fast enough.

    What are the issues preventing this???

    No new refining capacity for over 30 years. Why???? Lawsuits brought by environmentalists and restrictions made by politicians.

    Who is resposible for this???? Guess.

    Environmentalists and Democrats and the pre






    Environmentalists, the press and Democrats.

    Are you fed up with $4.00 gas????
    Who should you blame??? Environmentalists, the Press and Democrats.
    With all talk of $200 a barrel oil $6.00 a gallon gas isn't far away.
    2009 CU Pro Football Pick'em Champ
    Reply With Quote  
     

  5. #5  
    An Adversary of Linda #'s
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    22,891
    Quote Originally Posted by Space Gravy View Post
    With all talk of $200 a barrel oil $6.00 a gallon gas isn't far away.
    Neither is a series of American political lynchings in Washington !
    Reply With Quote  
     

  6. #6  
    Senior Member Constitutionally Speaking's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    4,301
    Quote Originally Posted by Space Gravy View Post
    With all talk of $200 a barrel oil $6.00 a gallon gas isn't far away.

    The thing of it is, if we had acted on these 10 years ago, when the Democrats blocked them, we would still be paying between $ 2.25 and $ 2.50 a gallon. If not less.

    There are REAL costs for voting Democrat or staying out in protest.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  7. #7  
    Senior Member Space Gravy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    The South
    Posts
    1,435
    Quote Originally Posted by C Speaking View Post
    The thing of it is, if we had acted on these 10 years ago, when the Democrats blocked them, we would still be paying between $ 2.25 and $ 2.50 a gallon. If not less.

    There are REAL costs for voting Democrat or staying out in protest.
    It's just easier for most people to blame Bush.

    Here's another log for the fire. It would be nice if grades could be standardized again.

    Link
    Last edited by Space Gravy; 05-31-2008 at 09:07 AM.
    2009 CU Pro Football Pick'em Champ
    Reply With Quote  
     

  8. #8  
    Senior Member LogansPapa's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Surf City, USA
    Posts
    3,782
    Stop being so silly. You go to Wal-Mart and Home Depot. You're the root cause of high priced oil.

    135 years ago oil meant little to the world's economy. Then ships, automobiles and airplanes gradually came along and created a DEMAND for various finished products that came from crude.

    No different now - it just hurts more because we're all junkies and we need the stuff that crude gives us.

    800 million people will soon be able to buy little scooters in India and about a billion more in China will do the same (including buying ultra-polluting autos) and Kyoto will be just another dream someone had long ago. They will face zero regulations and we will continue to carry the heaviest on the planet.

    We - by our greed - engineered this. Every time we got a supposed great deal at a 'Big Box Store' we were screwing our children's future. Eventually this will lead to war and unbridled land rape.

    Seems to me there was a minor conflict in the Pacific about 70 years ago over the same thing.

    Get used to it, childrens. Buy a scooter from India and enjoy your 90 minute commute to work.
    At Coretta Scott King's funeral in early 2006, Ethel Kennedy, the widow of Robert Kennedy, leaned over to him and whispered, "The torch is being passed to you." "A chill went up my spine," Obama told an aide. (Newsweek)
    Reply With Quote  
     

  9. #9  
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    193
    ...........................and the Democrats will gain seats in the houses this coming election and quite possibly the presidency. The American people deserve to pay $5 agallon for letting this stupidity persist.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  10. #10  
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    nc
    Posts
    668
    Quote Originally Posted by LogansPapa View Post
    Stop being so silly. You go to Wal-Mart and Home Depot. You're the root cause of high priced oil.

    135 years ago oil meant little to the world's economy. Then ships, automobiles and airplanes gradually came along and created a DEMAND for various finished products that came from crude.

    No different now - it just hurts more because we're all junkies and we need the stuff that crude gives us.

    800 million people will soon be able to buy little scooters in India and about a billion more in China will do the same (including buying ultra-polluting autos) and Kyoto will be just another dream someone had long ago. They will face zero regulations and we will continue to carry the heaviest on the planet.

    We - by our greed - engineered this. Every time we got a supposed great deal at a 'Big Box Store' we were screwing our children's future. Eventually this will lead to war and unbridled land rape.

    Seems to me there was a minor conflict in the Pacific about 70 years ago over the same thing.

    Get used to it, childrens. Buy a scooter from India and enjoy your 90 minute commute to work.
    Fer Gawd's sake.....
    Damn, will you stay on the specific theme here. It's about the US and meeting it's energy needs. The reality is, if we used our own resources we could be an energy independent nation. Poof goes the speculation driven prices we're "enjoying", and good ole supply and demand returns to the head of the class.

    One might want to question why any attempt at this is shot down by the enviro-community and it's tolerated by the spineless fucks in our government.
    Last edited by 3rd-try; 05-31-2008 at 10:25 PM.
    Reply With Quote  
     

Bookmarks
Bookmarks
Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •