Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by stlouiewoman View Post
    I'm sure 3rd-try is devastated by your comment.
    I was devastated for 3rd just reading it.
    I found the "what happens after 158 years? don't be so short shortsighted" to be hysterical. Let's see? How much advancement has been made between 1850 and today?

[QUOTE=3rd-try;1533]Fer Gawd's sake.....Damn, will you stay on the specific theme here. QUOTE]

I'm sorry - I do not understand. What part of my post didn't have to do with the current price of gasoline? Please explain.
    At Coretta Scott King's funeral in early 2006, Ethel Kennedy, the widow of Robert Kennedy, leaned over to him and whispered, "The torch is being passed to you." "A chill went up my spine," Obama told an aide. (Newsweek)

Quote Originally Posted by Eyelids View Post
    What you call original I call idiotic.
    Hold up a mirror...
    -
    -
    -

In actual dollars, President Obama’s $4.4 trillion in deficit spending in just three years is 37 percent higher than the previous record of $3.2 trillion (held by President George W. Bush) in deficit spending for an entire presidency. It’s no small feat to demolish an 8-year record in just 3 years.

Under Obama’s own projections, interest payments on the debt are on course to triple from 2010 (his first budgetary year) to 2018, climbing from $196 billion to $685 billion annually.

[QUOTE=LogansPapa;1622]
    Quote Originally Posted by 3rd-try View Post
    Fer Gawd's sake.....Damn, will you stay on the specific theme here. QUOTE]

I'm sorry - I do not understand. What part of my post didn't have to do with the current price of gasoline? Please explain.
    Pretty much everything, although given the incoherence of your post, it's tough to tell. Are you trying to say that Chinese and Indian scooters will drive up the price of oil? And what does that have to do with box stores?

Quote Originally Posted by Eyelids
    The whole point is to get off oil. What happens after 158 years? This mentality of keeping oil going for as long as we can is what's gotten us into the mess... quit being so shortsighted.
    Okay, let's say that we get off of oil, eventually. It's not like it will happen overnight. Using domestic reserves would provide the following benefits:
    • We'd have an additional 158 years in which to make the transition.
    • We'd stop putting money into the hands of despotic regimes which use their oil revenues to spread horrific doctrines.
    • We'd lower the price of oil, which would lower the price of everything that is moved by petroleum-based trucks. Transportation costs are a tremendous part of consumer prices.
    • We could return land use to food production instead of energy production, reducing food prices globally.
    Not using domestic reserves simply perpetuates the problem, while ensuring that we are gradually impoverished by rising energy costs and have to face the consequences of funding the global jihad, not to mention Hugo Chavez's odious regime. Oh, and when oil hits $200 a barrel, we will drill in ANWR, the Gulf of Mexico, off shore in California, not to mention in every patch of land larger than my backyard, so it's not like we'd be saving anything by simply trying to go cold turkey.
    --Odysseus
    Sic Hacer Pace, Para Bellum.

Before you can do things for people, you must be the kind of man who can get things done. But to get things done, you must love the doing, not the people!

[QUOTE=Odysseus;1643]
    Quote Originally Posted by LogansPapa View Post

Pretty much everything, although given the incoherence of your post, it's tough to tell. Are you trying to say that Chinese and Indian scooters will drive up the price of oil? And what does that have to do with box stores?
    Do you have much backround in manufacturing?
    At Coretta Scott King's funeral in early 2006, Ethel Kennedy, the widow of Robert Kennedy, leaned over to him and whispered, "The torch is being passed to you." "A chill went up my spine," Obama told an aide. (Newsweek)

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Eyelids View Post
    The whole point is to get off oil. What happens after 158 years? This mentality of keeping oil going for as long as we can is what's gotten us into the mess... quit being so shortsighted.
    There are hundreds of products made with by products of oil. You only get around 20 gallons of gasoline out of a barrel of oil. What do you think they do with the remaining half? Do some research first so that you do not sound so ignorant because there will always be a use for oil.

"Are you trying to say that Chinese and Indian scooters will drive up the price of oil? And what does that have to do with box stores?"

Basic manufacturing theory.

When an almost completely agrarian culture turns into a light and then mass production economy, dependable transportation is required to move people daily from rural areas and across cities to their new jobs making things - instead of growing things out in the country. To think that the last ten years of this mass conversion in both China and India hasn't had an effect on our oil and therefore gasoline price is just childish.

15 years ago Wal-Mart was just beginning their empire building around the country, via Gestapo like pricing structures from their suppliers, as well as going to the Orient for all of their throw away items. The people working in the fields were the ones going to produce that mountain of crap that we take for granted today. We created the demand for those crap makers and that reality carries on to the present.

As wages increase in Asia those people won't be satisfied with setting in their huts without refrigeration or basic transportation. I'm sorry if you can't make this connection, but if you've never been to Asia, it's hard to explain the numbers. R.J. Reynolds was sued for billions of dollars, you'll recall, and really won't lose a dime in profit because of countries like China and India. As our Congress was running their executives through a thrashing mill, their company was putting the finishing touches on over a dozen cigarette manufacturing plants over there.

American smokes are a real status item in the Orient and once the population has got their taste for them - there's no turning back. Our tobacco companies could really care less if they ever sell another carton of smokes here in the States. Nearly two billion customers have their focus elsewhere.

So the everyday Working Joe in China that's never had electricity, a television, maybe only a bicycle to get him from one place to another, only dung cigarettes, and no thought of medical care isn't going back to his leaky hut. They've seen the candy store, via menial factory jobs and now they want to produce better products - the $25 to $500 items that Americans produce presently. No reason, economically, and according to the bean counters, for these jobs to remain here. None.

Show me ANY fastener on ANY American made vehicle that's still made in the United States and I'll show you some very old inventory discovered in a warehouse somewhere. More critical metal items once made here, then Mexico, are now made in Mainland China. That takes electricity. A giant butt-load of it - 24 hours per day. Try to pay a realistic price for say a 3KVA Diesel Generator on the open market today - and you'll be floored by how much any dealer, new or used, wants for them.

The Chinese government infrastructure can't meet even half the demand for electrical power, so the shops coming on shore are simply setting up their operations with these portable generators - until a coal plant can be brought on line. Their government's printing money as quickly as the presses will knock out the bills - with nothing but the United States' debt to cover it.

This is the 'Progressive Chain' that is being notched up in the Orient and their working folk won't be satisfied with making junk forever. Their path is much like what happened in Japan in the 1950's and 1960's. Our Middle Class - the folks that actually pay taxes - will only be able to do service jobs. That won't carry an economy for long.

My perspective is based on numbers - huge populations headed up the standard of living ladder. We will get to see them on the way down.

Quote Originally Posted by LogansPapa View Post
    "Are you trying to say that Chinese and Indian scooters will drive up the price of oil? And what does that have to do with box stores?"

Basic manufacturing theory.

When an almost completely agrarian culture turns into a light and then mass production economy, dependable transportation is required to move people daily from rural areas and across cities to their new jobs making things - instead of growing things out in the country.

My perspective is based on numbers - huge populations headed up the standard of living ladder. We will get to see them on the way down.
    Well, now, that is an excellent reason for us to drill our own oil, isn't it! :D
    -
    -
    -

In actual dollars, President Obama’s $4.4 trillion in deficit spending in just three years is 37 percent higher than the previous record of $3.2 trillion (held by President George W. Bush) in deficit spending for an entire presidency. It’s no small feat to demolish an 8-year record in just 3 years.

Under Obama’s own projections, interest payments on the debt are on course to triple from 2010 (his first budgetary year) to 2018, climbing from $196 billion to $685 billion annually.

Gas is still cheap.

Gatorade costs about $10.50 a gallon.
    EVIAN costs about $ 12.00 a gallon
    Shall we list milk?:eek:

Quote Originally Posted by AmPat View Post
    Gas is still cheap.

Gatorade costs about $10.50 a gallon.
    EVIAN costs about $ 12.00 a gallon
    Shall we list milk?:eek:
    Do you consume these items at 20 gallons per week?