Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Odysseus View Post
    As for Chinese smoking habits, nope, doesn't really resonate with me, but given the lack of women there, at least there won't be much in the way of sex to smoke after. FWIW, Arabs are heavy smokers, too, as are the French. The Iraqis consider American cigarettes the apex of the art. Doesn't really bother me, don't know why it bothers you.
    You're still not grasping the "billions of people thing." As well as the volume of consumption point therein. Wow - that is outstandingly dim.

Diego Garcia does support ops in Southwest Asia. So do AFBs in Germany, Okinawa and Hawaii. We've been realigning bases for years, with a declining emphasis on western Europe and increased emphasis on the Pacific rim and Southwest Asia..
    Guam is to counter mainland China, North Korea and maybe the reemerging Russian Navy. The rest of the travel log is just filler.

LOL. Let me see if I've got this straight... You refer to "my kind" and complain that I labelled you? At least my label was specific and based on actual statements by you. For example, I labelled you an antisemite because you claimed that Jews killed Christ and objected to the use of your tax dollars to prevent the slaughter of "Hebrews." If that's not "primitive" then what is?
    Sorry. It was your people that betrayed Him - not the Scotts, my people. You should just own up to your folk's responsibility. 60 years is enough - cut the titty off. Now. Stand on your own.

Yeah, yeah.... Been there, done that. In the 30s and 40s, Germany was going to bury us. In the 50s, the Soviets were going to bury us (Ol' Nikita even banged his shoe on the table to make the point). In the 70s, the Arabs were going to bury us economically. In the 80s, Japan was going to bury us. We mopped the floor with Germany, the Soviet Union collapsed, the Arabs have spent their money on exporting Islam, which is their only growth industry besides oil and the Japanese have been in a recession since the early 90s. The rumors of our burial have been greatly exaggerated.
    Did Hitler hold all of our paper like the Chinese do presently? If you can't recognize the difference - like the 'volume' thing - you're an idiot.
    At Coretta Scott King's funeral in early 2006, Ethel Kennedy, the widow of Robert Kennedy, leaned over to him and whispered, "The torch is being passed to you." "A chill went up my spine," Obama told an aide. (Newsweek)

Vepr
    Quote Originally Posted by Constitutionally Speaking View Post
    Peak oil is a bunch of crap.

We have enough oil for well over 100 years of complete self sufficiency IF the Democrats and the environmental kooks would allow us to go after it.

Our Domestic reserves are actually increasing because of new discoveries. The problem is that we are suffering from an undue liberal influence.

ANWR is NOT the answer. Not all by itself - but that is the tactic of the left. They dismiss each potential site INDIVIDUALLY instead of taking the honest approach of evaluating our reserves as a whole.

That is sort of like saying a flood is not dangerous because a drop of water is harmless.

Peak will happen at some point. Has it happened yet? Probably not. Will it happen in our life times? Maybe not. Will it happen? Yes if we do not find viable alternatives.

I think Gator and I need to get together over some ribs and a case of beer and develop cold fusion. Even if we do not develop cold fusion it will still be worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by Vepr View Post
    Peak will happen at some point. Has it happened yet? Probably not. Will it happen in our life times? Maybe not. Will it happen? Yes if we do not find viable alternatives.

I think Gator and I need to get together over some ribs and a case of beer and develop cold fusion. Even if we do not develop cold fusion it will still be worth it.
    Okay, funny stuff!:p
    At Coretta Scott King's funeral in early 2006, Ethel Kennedy, the widow of Robert Kennedy, leaned over to him and whispered, "The torch is being passed to you." "A chill went up my spine," Obama told an aide. (Newsweek)

Quote Originally Posted by LogansPapa View Post
    You're still not grasping the "billions of people thing." As well as the volume of consumption point therein. Wow - that is outstandingly dim.
    Yeah, I get it. Billions of people equals billions of packs per day. Who cares how much they smoke? Look, just for your own edification, the rest of us are not able to hear the voices in your head, so unless you are willing to make the connection for us, we're not going to grasp what passes for logic in your argument.

Guam is to counter mainland China, North Korea and maybe the reemerging Russian Navy. The rest of the travel log is just filler.
    Russia's navy is in freefall. They haven't ordered any new vessels since the collapse of the USSR, and the infrastructure is in serious disrepair. I'm less worried about the Russian navy than I am about Abu Sayaf in the Philippines, the Moro Liberation Front, the Islamist insurgency in Thailand and the radical groups in Indonesia, all places where US forces could be committed, with support from strategic air. But, what the hey, you obviously know more about what I do for a living than I do. Must've missed you at the War College.

Sorry. It was your people that betrayed Him - not the Scotts, my people. You should just own up to your folk's responsibility. 60 years is enough - cut the titty off. Now. Stand on your own.
    Well, at least you're consistent. Insane, but consistent.

Did Hitler hold all of our paper like the Chinese do presently? If you can't recognize the difference - like the 'volume' thing - you're an idiot.
    China's hold on our debt makes them dependent on the stability of our economy, not the other way around. If they tried to forclose, they'd get pennies on the dollar, as longterm loans have rules and penalties for early withdrawal, just like your savings account. China has no choice but to hold the debt and hope that we make the payments, and with the current weak dollar, we're screwing them over eight ways to Sunday. Here's how it works: I take out a mortgage at 5% interest over 30 years on a home that sold for $100,000. Inflation at that time is about 1.5-2%. The value of the home, in raw numbers, is increasing at 1.5-2% per year, and I'm paying off 5%, so the bank is netting 3-3.5% on the loan. As long as that remains constant, the bank is doing fine, but what happens if inflation outpaces the loan? At 5% inflation, my APR becomes moot, but what happens is inflation hits 10%? Then, the value of my house, in raw dollars, increases by 10% every year, even if, adjust for inflation, it remains static. But the bank is losing 5% at that point. In other words, inflation takes the value of the dollar away from the creditor. That's why China's holding our debt doesn't bother me. And if you can't grasp that, then you truly are an idiot (but wait, we've already established that with the antisemitism, so I repeat myself).
    --Odysseus
    Sic Hacer Pace, Para Bellum.

Before you can do things for people, you must be the kind of man who can get things done. But to get things done, you must love the doing, not the people!

Senior Member Constitutionally Speaking's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Vepr View Post

There is no doubt we need to develop alternatives. I encourage that wholeheartedly. In the meantime however, let us go after the resources we have.

I wouldn't mind a cold beer with you guys, but I'll have to let you two work on the cold fusion thingy. The closest I have ever gotten is when I stuck my tongue on the ice cube tray.

Vepr
    Quote Originally Posted by Constitutionally Speaking View Post
    There is no doubt we need to develop alternatives. I encourage that wholeheartedly. In the meantime however, let us go after the resources we have.

I wouldn't mind a cold beer with you guys, but I'll have to let you two work on the cold fusion thingy. The closest I have ever gotten is when I stuck my tongue on the ice cube tray.
    :D I tried to get Gator up to Atlanta one time for some gun parts and ammo I sold him but he chickened out and I had to ship it to him. Probably a good thing for me because he had been threatening to whoop my butt. :eek: :)

Yeah, I get it. Billions of people equals billions of packs per day. Who cares how much they smoke? Look, just for your own edification, the rest of us are not able to hear the voices in your head, so unless you are willing to make the connection for us, we're not going to grasp what passes for logic in your argument.
    Okay - we'll S L O W the baud rate down a bit: If a Chinese male would be willing to spend a day's wages five years ago for a pack of American smokes - how much of a leap is it for him to go from a bicycle to a little gas powered scooter now? Now take that thought and multiply his consumption by half-a-billion and maybe the nickel in your head will find a slot to fall into.

Okay - we'll S L O W the baud rate down a bit: If a Chinese male would be willing to spend a day's wages five years ago for a pack of American smokes - how much of a leap is it for him to go from a bicycle to a little gas powered scooter now? Now take that thought and multiply his consumption by half-a-billion and maybe the nickel in your head will find a slot to fall into.
    Once again, the voices in your head have led you astray. This is what is known, in Latin, as a non-sequitur, which translates as "it does not follow." The consumption of one commodity does not necessarily bear any relation to consumption of another, and may even preclude it. To assume that cigarette smoking can be extrapolated to scooter ownership is absurd. The scooter is, on a very small scale, a capital investment, far more expensive than a bicycle, much less a pack of smokes. It's something that you save for over the long run, especially since China lacks credit at the micro-level. Cigarette smoking is a daily expense that actually interferes with savings and reduces the likelyhood of capital investment, since it literally puts disposable income up in smoke. To the extent that Chinese men are willing to spend their wages on nicotine, they will be unable to afford scooters, consumer electronics, or any other goods which would drive up their overall energy consumption.

But, hey, I thought that Iraq was in Asia. What do I know? :p
    --Odysseus
    Sic Hacer Pace, Para Bellum.

Before you can do things for people, you must be the kind of man who can get things done. But to get things done, you must love the doing, not the people!

If you can’t see the connection between going from a ten cent pack of dung smokes all the way up to buying American smokes - just as a status symbol and the fact that if you've got a scooter over your co-worker’s bicycle that gets you to a job further from your home - quicker - then you’re not much of a Jew.

Leave your head in the sand, because as we all know - Iraq’s culture and economic development’s just like China’s.

Oil consumers ask for boost in output

Five energy-consuming nations say price surge hurts global economy

Associated Press / updated 1:14 p.m. ET June 8, 2008

"World oil production has stalled at about 85 million barrels a day since 2005, while global economic growth — boosted by spectacular surges in China and India — has pushed demand to unprecedented levels."

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/25024799/