Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 "A List of the World's Weird and Disgusting Foods." 
    An Adversary of Linda #'s
    Ray's List of Weird and Disgusting Foods

I HAVE A THEORY that many (all?) cultures invent a food that is weird or disgusting to non-initiates as a sort of a "marker." The kids start out hating it, but at some point they cross over and perpetuate it (perpetrate it) on the next generation. Then they nudge each other when foreigners gasp.

Many cultures pride themselves on their alcoholic drinks, as in "white lightning," mai-tai, tequila, pulque, chong, vodka, schnapps, and so on. You are accepted if you can match their prowess. There are too many similar local drinks to warrant listing them here.

Sometimes one group disparages another for their eating habits, as in the word "Eskimo" (eater of raw meat) resented by the people whose name for themselves is "Inuit." I believe the food laws of Middle Eastern cultures have more to do with distinguishing your group from the neighboring groups than with health concerns or sacred scriptures, which adapted to the cultural norms.

Foods don't make it onto this list just because they are generally unpopular. President Bush hated broccoli. So what? Foods on this list have some status as a cultural marker. Sometimes it's a tough call. For example, "donuts" (doughnuts, originally "oly cakes") are distinctly American, and I've met many French people who despise them. Chacun a son gout (They gave my son gout) as they say. Do they qualify as "weird-disgusting" or not? Peanut butter was invented in America, widely reviled in Europe. What do you think? I think it stands as a bit of Americana. Cary Grant once ordered a peanut butter sandwich in New York's 21 club.

Thomas Hamilton comments that USers are actually unusual in eating so *few* parts of an animal, so the fact that, say, the French eat brains isn't really a cultural marker. The marker is that USers don't. From: tth@astro.caltech.edu (Thomas Hamilton)

Don't bother to respond "But lots of people like X"... that's exactly the point. That's why "X" is ON the list, not off it. See also the entry below for FRUITCAKE.

Don't bother to respond "But this food is also located in..." Yes, important food immigrates even faster than language. Cool. Chile peppers and potatoes are are nearly ubiquitous now.

Here's my list so far. What can you add? (It's arranged roughly geographically, going east from longitude 0.)

England: Warm Beer, Blood Pudding, Jellied Eels, Spotted Dick, Liver and Lights, Kidney Pie, Brawn, Bubble and Squeak, Fried Bread, Crisps with Flavors
    Scotland: Haggis, Irn Bru, Blood (Black) Pudding, Herring Roe, Potted Hough, Sheep's Head, Ox Tongue, Oxtail, White Puddings, Powsowdie
    Wales: Laver Bread, Rook Pie, Lardy Cake
    Sweden: Sylta (Head Cheese)
    Norway: Lutefisk, Gravlax
    Denmark: Oellebroed, Skipsol, Beer-Jelly, Sild, Gamle Ole, Gammel Dansk, Nordsoe Olie, Rullepoelse, Flaeskesvaer, Skaerpekoed, Rastefisk, Grind, Spaek
    Netherlands: Salted Horsemeat Sandwiches, Raw Salted Herring, Peanut Butter Sauce on French Fries, Hete Bliksem
    France: Escargot, Tripe, Frog's Legs, Bleu Cheese, Roquefort, Steak Tartare, Brains, Truffles, Camel's Feet, Boudin
    Spain: Criadillas, Morcillas
    European Jews: Schmaltz, Gefilte Fish, Kishke
    Germany: Limburger, Bierkase, Blutwurst, Kuddeln, Ochsenmaul-Salat, Schweinsmagen, Curry Wurst
    Italy: Cynar and Campari liqueurs, Carpaccio, Cibreo, Song Birds, Gorgonzola
    Greece: Retsina
    Sicily: Ricci di Mare
    Sardinia: Maggot-Cheese
    Mediterranean: Sheep's head. The whole thing, cooked and skinned. Includes the eyeballs. Cheese (what a concept!) Octopus, Cicada, Octopus and Squid in Ink
    Russia: Borscht, Kvass, Caviar, Vesiga
    Africa: Blood fresh from living livestock, Grasshoppers, Okra, Fufu, Gari, Urine, Ugali, Clay, Goat's Head, Chitoum
    Central Asia: Kumiss (Fermented Mare's Milk), Yogurt, Sheep Fat
    China: Bird's Nest Soup, Sea Cucumber, Jellyfish, Rat, Snake, Drunken Shrimp, Jelled Blood, Bear Paws, Cho Do Fu, Tiger Testicles, Owl Soup, Thousand-Year Eggs, Sa Kuo Yu Toe, Fish Flotation Bladder, Bao Bing (Shaved Ice), Pork Uterus, Camel (and Cow) Tendons, Oyster Sauce, Snake Wine
    Tibet: Yak Milk (Rancid), Tea with Yak Butter
    India: Cow Urine, Human Urine
    Southern India: Blazing Curry
    Burma: a MAE oo, Ngapi-jaw
    Hong Kong: Monkey Brains
    Southeast Asia: Durian, Fermented Fish-Paste, Dog Meat, Snakes, Ngapi-Jaw, Bull Penis, Sour Candies, Fish Eyes
    Thailand: Kapi, Grasshoppers, Snake Blood, Water Bugs

Indonesia: Blachan, Dog-Meat Restaurants, Bats
    Malaysia: Ice Kachang (Shaved Ice) Belachan
    Philippines: Baalut, Bagong (fish paste), Diniguan
    Australia: Vegemite, Marmite, Kangaroo, Witchety Grub, Beetroot, Honey Ants
    Papua-New Guinea: Sago Worms
    Borneo: Monitor Lizard
    Korea: Kim Chee, Silk Worm Grubs, Tiger Penis Soup
    Japan: Fugu, Natto, Sashimi, Shiokara, Tofu, Miso, Uni, Mountain Potato, Seaweed, Takosu, Takoyaki, Tempeh, Crickets, Unagi, Gingko Seeds, Okra (Raw!)
    Hawaii: Poi, Spam Musubi
    Arctic Alaska: Blubber, Stinkheads
    U.S. in general: Spam, Chewing Gum, Iceberg Lettuce, Bread, Beer, Peanut Butter
    U.S. Northwest: Geoduck Clams
    U.S. West: Prairie Oysters, Fried Pork Rinds, Blood-Rare Steak, Rattlesnake
    U.S. Midwest: White Castle Sliders, Jell-O Salad, Fruitcake, American Cheese Food Product, such as Velveeta, in Fried Cheese Balls, Cincinnati Greek Chili
    U.S. South: Grits, Crawfish, Hog Maws And Snouts, Etc Dropped Fowl, Chicken Feet, Chitterlings, Iced Tea, Ramps, Turkey Deep-Fried Whole (Fried Everything) Chicken-Fried Steak, Dill Pickles Fried
    U.S. East: Souse, Pork Loaf
    U.S. Northeast: Scrapple, Cod Liver Oil, Pumpkin Pie, Raw Oysters, Lobster, Fiddlehead Ferns
    Canada: Sugar Pie, Poutine, Oreilles De Christ, Cod Tongues, Cod Cheeks, Pemmican, Cracklings, Seal Flipper Pie, Spruce Beer
    Mexico: Tequila Worms, Menudo, Habanero & Jalapeno Peppers, Mole, Chichirrones (Chitterlings), Ceviche, Grasshoppers
    Brazil: Gari
    Agentina: Morcillas
    Iceland: Hakarl

The following glossary of explanations is alphabetically arranged.
    http://www.geocities.com/adams_dhanj...ting_Foods.htm

We don't really eat Rocky Mountain oysters out here; it's just a trick you play on your out-of-town friends.

Europeans don't like peanut butter?

Quote Originally Posted by Gingersnap View Post
    We don't really eat Rocky Mountain oysters out here; it's just a trick you play on your out-of-town friends.

Europeans don't like peanut butter?
    Asians do .Some/most Europeans don't like anything American .

Grits!!! Iced tea!!! Is this person crazy? What's so disgusting about those?

Grits are only disgusting when stupid northerners think they're the same as cream of wheat (it's ground CORN, not ground wheat) and put milk on them (try them with salt & pepper...or gop fancy with ginger, garlic, cheese, or bacon). I had grits with ginger and some herb not long ago, and I could have ate the entire pot of it!

Iced tea is only disgusting plain, but tastes great with a packet or two of Equal or all-out sweet tea.

US in general: Spam, Chewing Gum, Iceberg Lettuce, Bread, Beer, Peanut Butter
    I'll agree with the spam (and Iceberg lettuce to a small extent)...but I have no idea how to respond to listing of the others? Gum, Bread, & Beer are found in almost every country on earth!

And what's wrong with some of the meats listed? What's the difference between kangaroo and a cow or pig? If anything, kangaroo is very low in fat and they live quite clean...compare that to fat pigs that live in the mud. What makes it worse? Kangaroo, which I tried a few years ago, is very tasty...rather similar to beef. Same logic can be applied to horse meat, frog legs, etc.
    "Because we're a great nation, our challenges seem complex; it will always be this way. But as long as we remember our first principals and believe in ourselves, the future will always be ours." -Reagan

I can handle / try almost all foods but the asians can gag you! I saw a show where they were eating live baby octopi on a stick!:eek:
    If you were able to chew - swallow before it killed you, you had a tasty meal! :D

I never had haggis either!

: “Grow your own dope. Plant a liberal.”
    ” Obummercare, 20 percent of the time it works everytime.

Good Grief!!

People in the South do not eat Chicken feet.
    My grandma was about as country as they come and this is not something that was on the menu. This is much more common in Asia and Africa.
    Gun Control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound - Unknown

The problem is Empty People, Not Loaded Guns - Linda Schrock Taylor

Asians do eat weird stuff.

I see the "melange" carts go by all the time. They have a little wok for frying and an assortment of bugs for your selection. Crickets, cockroaches (maybe some other kind of beattle but I swear they look like 'em), grubs, black scorpions, flying ants, etc.

The girls crowd around and point at what they want and he fries em up on the spot. I always wondered, if a live insect flew into the wok while he is cooking up your insects, does that mean you get them free or is the fresh insect an added charge?

Nothing worse than having your fish and chips delivered to your table and you look up as your friends thai girlfriend has just bitten a 4 inch fried cockroach in half and its guts are oozing out. Can be off-putting.

And then you think about it. And have to ask - Do you kiss that mouth? :eek:

Quote Originally Posted by Molon Labe View Post
    Good Grief!!

People in the South do not eat Chicken feet.
    My grandma was about as country as they come and this is not something that was on the menu. This is much more common in Asia and Africa.
    Chicken feet go into the broth to make soup but they come out with all other now-useless stuff once the broth is actually made.

Iceberg lettuce has it's uses. It holds up a lot better than looseleaf lettuce if you use it in sandwiches that are going to travel a lot. You can also dice it very finely for Tex-Mex foods like tacos or burritos. You can't do that with your more upscale lettuces.

Quote Originally Posted by patriot45 View Post
    I can handle / try almost all foods but the asians can gag you! I saw a show where they were eating live baby octopi on a stick!:eek:
    If you were able to chew - swallow before it killed you, you had a tasty meal! :D

I never had haggis either!
    Haggis isn't bad .It's like a large fat boiled sausage.A sheeps stomach stuffed with mutton and meat from the lungs, heart, and liver of a sheep, chopped with onions, seasonings, suet, and oatmeal, and then broiled in a bag made from the sheep's stomach. It's usually served on New Years evening in Scotland !

Banned
    Anyone who thinks "Bleu Cheese, Roquefort, Steak Tartare, and Truffles" are weird and/or disgusting is a peasant, who clearly has not, for example, tasted Paul Bocuse's heavenly soupe aux truffes in Lyon. :mad: