Thread: Reverse Discrimination Case Could Transform Hiring Procedures Nationwide

1. #1 Reverse Discrimination Case Could Transform Hiring Procedures Nationwide 
    It's an AP article, so I should probably just give the link rather than post it. After giving It's quite long, but I think the firefighters have a great case & I would like to see them succeed.

Fox News-Reverse Discrimination Case Could Transform Hiring Procedures Nationwide

Essentially, the department decided to promote people based on a test created by a company which provides such tests for fire departments nationwide and was based on skills. After giving the tests and receiving the results, the department realized, of the 56 who passed of the 118 test-takers, none were black (even though 30% of the department is black). Thinking this would not be in compliance with racial discrimination laws, the department turned 'bout-face and ignored the test results to promote. They promoted several black firefighters and did not even promote the top scorer on the test. Several of the high-scoring firefighters who were denied promotions are behind this lawsuit.
    "Because we're a great nation, our challenges seem complex; it will always be this way. But as long as we remember our first principals and believe in ourselves, the future will always be ours." -Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by AHeneen View Post
    It's an AP article, so I should probably just give the link rather than post it. After giving It's quite long, but I think the firefighters have a great case & I would like to see them succeed.

Fox News-Reverse Discrimination Case Could Transform Hiring Procedures Nationwide

Essentially, the department decided to promote people based on a test created by a company which provides such tests for fire departments nationwide and was based on skills. After giving the tests and receiving the results, the department realized, of the 56 who passed of the 118 test-takers, none were black (even though 30% of the department is black). Thinking this would not be in compliance with racial discrimination laws, the department turned 'bout-face and ignored the test results to promote. They promoted several black firefighters and did not even promote the top scorer on the test. Several of the high-scoring firefighters who were denied promotions are behind this lawsuit.
    It is about time that a solid case showing the sham that is affirmative action will be going to court. The hiring and promotion playing field should be level for all participants. It is ethically wrong to make it "more level" for some. The "leveling" of the playing field gives advantages to pre-defined groups over other groups, that should not be especially in a field as important as fire and rescue where peoples lives are on the line.

I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else.
    C. S. Lewis

Banned
    Having worked for the state in a Civil service posiiton, I can verify that this happens a great deal of the time. In order to get around the test that a dummy can not pass, management will do a temp. appointment. After a year or so, that person will qualify for the position without taking the test and be grandfathered into that position. I worked with several female and black auditors who could not pass the test and snuck in the back door by this method.

I hope these guys win their suit. I am surprised that they did not give the blacks so many points for being a minority. Companies like AT&T used to give so many extra points if you were black and also extra points if you were a black female. I had a friend that scored over a hundred points on her test back in the 80's.

I also hope that these guys have some top notch lawyers. The governmental agency will pull out all the stops to defeat a discrimination suit. At least, that has been my experience.

I hate the terms "Reverse Discrimination" or "Reverse Racism". It's all discrimination or racism, and the name doesn't change if the person doing the discriminating is in a minority group and he is discriminating against someone who is in the majority racial group. Putting the word "reverse" before the term is kind of a way of negating it, making it seem like it's a reaction to racism, not a glaring example of it.

Quote Originally Posted by noonwitch View Post
    I hate the terms "Reverse Discrimination" or "Reverse Racism". It's all discrimination or racism, and the name doesn't change if the person doing the discriminating is in a minority group and he is discriminating against someone who is in the majority racial group. Putting the word "reverse" before the term is kind of a way of negating it, making it seem like it's a reaction to racism, not a glaring example of it.
    I have to agree. I had a proff who tried to tell us that only white people can be guilty of racism and I had to educate the stupid cow on racism around the world and shatter her beliefs and excuse at least one class of teachers from white guilt.
    Stand up for what is right, even if you have to stand alone.