Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 16
  1. #1 F.B.I. and States Vastly Expand DNA Databases 
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Pleasant Valley
    Posts
    639
    And so it goes; and so it goes...

    F.B.I. and States Vastly Expand DNA Databases
    Monica Almeida/The New York Times
    Published: April 18, 2009

    Law enforcement officials are vastly expanding their collection of DNA to include millions more people who have been arrested or detained but not yet convicted. The move, intended to help solve more crimes, is raising concerns about the privacy of petty offenders and people who are presumed innocent.

    Until now, the federal government genetically tracked only convicts. But starting this month, the Federal Bureau of Investigation will join 15 states that collect DNA samples from those awaiting trial and will collect DNA from detained immigrants — the vanguard of a growing class of genetic registrants.

    The F.B.I., with a DNA database of 6.7 million profiles, expects to accelerate its growth rate from 80,000 new entries a year to 1.2 million by 2012 — a 17-fold increase. F.B.I. officials say they expect DNA processing backlogs — which now stand at more than 500,000 cases — to increase.

    Law enforcement officials say that expanding the DNA databanks to include legally innocent people will help solve more violent crimes. They point out that DNA has helped convict thousands of criminals and has exonerated more than 200 wrongfully convicted people.

    But criminal justice experts cite Fourth Amendment privacy concerns and worry that the nation is becoming a genetic surveillance society.

    More at the NYT...
    Don't forget that famous and ever-popular rationale, if you don't have anything to hide, what are you worried about?
    Reply With Quote  
     

  2. #2  
    eeeevil Sith Admin SarasotaRepub's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Sunny,FL
    Posts
    43,427
    OMG!!!! Damn Bu$hitler and the BFEE to hell!!!!

    Oh wait...:D
    May the FORCE be with you!
    Reply With Quote  
     

  3. #3  
    Senior Member Moon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Alabama
    Posts
    548
    Playing Devil's Advocate here, but how is this fundamentally different than someone being fingerprinted when they're arrested? They're still presumed innocent, as they have yet to be convicted, and yet personal information is still collected.
    Education is what remains after one has forgotten what one has learned in school.

    --Albert Einstein
    Reply With Quote  
     

  4. #4  
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Pleasant Valley
    Posts
    639
    Quote Originally Posted by Moon View Post
    Playing Devil's Advocate here, but how is this fundamentally different than someone being fingerprinted when they're arrested? They're still presumed innocent, as they have yet to be convicted, and yet personal information is still collected.
    Unreasonable search and seizure. When one takes fingerprints, the process is effectively the same as a photograph, no bodily material is forcibly seized. When one takes a DNA sample, a part (however miniscule) of the body of the arrested is seized.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  5. #5  
    Senior Member Moon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Alabama
    Posts
    548
    Quote Originally Posted by Water Closet View Post
    Unreasonable search and seizure. When one takes fingerprints, the process is effectively the same as a photograph, no bodily material is forcibly seized. When one takes a DNA sample, a part (however miniscule) of the body of the arrested is seized.
    I'd make the argument that the information collected is far more potentially damaging than the fact that nothing from the body is being seized. Regardless, suppose there was a technique available whereby your DNA information could be collected without any part of your body being seized, would you drop your opposition to the practice then?
    Education is what remains after one has forgotten what one has learned in school.

    --Albert Einstein
    Reply With Quote  
     

  6. #6  
    CU Royalty JB's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    8,093
    Meh. If they're arrested they're probably guilty of something anyway.

    Take the advice offered in another thread: Stay "off the grid". That way collection of your DNA will never be an issue.

    I didn't know you cared so much about your fellow man. Particularly your arrested fellow man. Very noble.
    Be Not Afraid.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  7. #7  
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Pleasant Valley
    Posts
    639
    Quote Originally Posted by JB View Post
    Meh. If they're arrested they're probably guilty of something anyway.

    Take the advice offered in another thread: Stay "off the grid". That way collection of your DNA will never be an issue.

    I didn't know you cared so much about your fellow man. Particularly your arrested fellow man. Very noble.
    As you know, I'm a pure conservative in my concern for my fellow man, i.e., WGAS! However, I am a big believer in principle and oppose the continuing extension of government intervention and/or control into private lives.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  8. #8  
    PORCUS MAXIMUS Rockntractor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    oklahoma
    Posts
    42,432
    Quote Originally Posted by JB View Post
    Meh. If they're arrested they're probably guilty of something anyway.

    Take the advice offered in another thread: Stay "off the grid". That way collection of your DNA will never be an issue.

    I didn't know you cared so much about your fellow man. Particularly your arrested fellow man. Very noble.
    If people who are arreted are probably guilty anyway why was inocent until proven guilty put in the constitution. Is that an old warn out idea that doesn't apply anymore?
    Reply With Quote  
     

  9. #9  
    CU Royalty JB's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    8,093
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockntractor View Post
    If people who are arreted are probably guilty anyway why was inocent until proven guilty put in the constitution.
    Lawyers and judges needed something to do.

    I was just goofing around until now. Can you kindly cite where in the Constitution the "presumption of innocence" explicity exists?
    Be Not Afraid.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  10. #10  
    CU Royalty JB's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    8,093
    Quote Originally Posted by Water Closet View Post
    As you know, I'm a pure conservative in my concern for my fellow man, i.e., WGAS! However, I am a big believer in principle and oppose the continuing extension of government intervention and/or control into private lives.
    What is WGAS? Who gives a shit????

    The world is a dangerous place. Better one innocent man gets locked up than a hundred guilty men get set free.
    Be Not Afraid.
    Reply With Quote  
     

Bookmarks
Bookmarks
Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •