Page 2 of 20 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Elspeth View Post
    Oh and add this:

Perez Hilton: 'The Way Miss California Answered Her Question Lost Her The Crown'

http://omg.yahoo.com/news/perez-hilt...crown/21528?nc

""The way miss California answered her question lost her the crown, without a doubt!" Perez told Access Hollywood after the pageant. "Never before that I'm aware of has a contestant been booed at Miss USA."
    This Perez character should have his ass kicked on general principal for asking a dumb question. That is the most awful looking faggot outfit he is wearing. Plus, he looks like a pepophile.

Miss California still wins in my book.

Perez is just pissed that he can't fit into her dress.
    Last edited by RobJohnson; 04-21-2009 at 02:25 AM.

The essential problem here is in having a gay guy as a judge in the first place. The Miss America contest is highly ritualized event designed to reveal a young woman who best typifies the kind of beauty, wholesomeness, and aspirations that most Americans wish their daughters were more interested in pursuing.

It's a purely heterosexual set piece. The young women have been competing in these set pieces for 10 years or more. The contest is every bit as stylized as Kabuki theater or classical ballet - and it should be.

There is no place for gay sensibilities, irony, fake outrage, gender role-blurring, or any other kind of gritty intrusion in this event. No one care about any contestant's private feelings about group marriage, anal sex, or lesbian threesomes. The questions are traditionally designed to see if the woman will be a likable charitable ambassador for the pageant and it's events.

Perez Hilton is another bitter gay man who knows that he will end up paying for sex by 40 and dead of lifestyle causes by 50.

The good news is that most Miss America contestants are forgotten within minutes of their crowing, but Miss Prejean will be known as the young woman who lost the contest on a matter of principle. She won't go far in Hollywood, but there are other venues for a woman with her character and beauty.

That having been said, Hilton's conduct is disgraceful. The contest is not a political one, and gay marriage is not part of the pageant, but of course, Hilton couldn't resist making it all about him and his pet issue. . By imposing his personal political agenda into the contest and then attacking a contestant for giving an honest answer, Hilton has made a public spectacle of himself, demonstrating that he is self-absorbed and shallow and he has demonstrated the vicious intolerance of gay activists.

Any decent man would be ashamed of what he has done. As Hilton has no decency, and barely qualifies as a man, I have no doubt that he will feel nothing but self-righteousness and a warm fuzzy for having made himself the center of attention instead of the women of the contest, which is all a drama queen really wants.
    --Odysseus
    Sic Hacer Pace, Para Bellum.

Before you can do things for people, you must be the kind of man who can get things done. But to get things done, you must love the doing, not the people!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by FlaGator View Post
    Some are speculating that her answer cost her the tiara and sash. Apparently she was considered the front runner until that moment. I just want to know who decided that Perez Hilton should host the show? There was s lack of foresight in that decision.
    As a Californian, I thought I might weight in here...

Carrie Prejean is a knock-out and if beauty pageants were judged solely on physical looks, then she should have won. As a California Girl she does our state proud--in a superficial eye-candy sort of way.

However, these national beauty pageants feel the need to include what often turns out to be the comic relief portion of the evenings entertainment, the Q&A.

1. Swimsuits 2. Talent 3. Evening Gown and 4. The asking contestants to speak articulately on a variety of current event/ political issue type questions--which of these is not like the others? (I've always felt that a round or two of Trivial Pursuit would be more interesting and at the very least make me feel better about myself)

I know there have been a handful of gals over the years who have had graduate degrees etc., but I'd bet that's not the norm.

The question was a fair question--it's topical and easy to answer without taking sides or being too controversial. All she had to do was sound articulate. But Miss Prejean had to go try to invent a new term 'opposite marriage' in what was IMO an answer where she stood by her convictions, but did so in a somewhat inarticulate way.

How about saying: I think that the gay marriage issue is indeed a state issue which the the State of California has weighed in on for the time being, however I would always wish same-sex couples all the happiness in their lives. (maybe I should have been one of her pageant coaches)

It would seem that her beliefs and convictions on this issue were more important than the crown--giving the answer she gave to an openly gay judge--for that, although I disagree with her POV, I respect her.
    Last edited by hazlnut; 04-21-2009 at 01:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by hazlnut View Post
    As a Californian, I thought I might weight in here...

..The question was a fair question--it's topical and easy to answer without taking sides or being too controversial. All she had to do was sound articulate. But Miss Prejean had to go try to invent a new term 'opposite marriage' in what was IMO an answer where she stood by her convictions, but did so in a somewhat inarticulate way.
    It was hardly a fare question. It was one of the most contentious issues today and any answer would have been offensive to someone, even yours. It put her in a vicious bind, since the judge who asked the question clearly had his own agenda, and any answer but complete agreement would have alienated him, while agreement would have been seen as toadying up to win the prize. It was a rude and uncivil act by Perez Hilton.

It would seem that her beliefs and convictions on this issue were more important than the crown--giving the answer she gave to an openly gay judge--for that, although I disagree with her POV, I respect her.
    Glad to hear it. What's your take on Hilton's comments about her?
    --Odysseus
    Sic Hacer Pace, Para Bellum.

Before you can do things for people, you must be the kind of man who can get things done. But to get things done, you must love the doing, not the people!

The question was a fair question--it's topical and easy to answer without taking sides or being too controversial.
    It's obviously not "easy to answer" unless she was willing to compromise her beliefs.

The problem here was with the judges. There is no reason to have a gay man judge an eye-wateringly heterosexual beauty pageant. There is certainly no reason allow a judge to engage in the very kind of catty, PMS-on-steroids behavior that so characterizes members of certain homosexual subcultures.

If nothing else, he has succeeded in confirming the very worst stereotype of the girly, effeminate gay man.

Miss CA is pretty hawt!

Power CUer
    Why do we still have beauty pageants? Does anyone even know?
    "Today, [the American voter] chooses his rulers as he buys bootleg whiskey, never knowing precisely what he is getting, only certain that it is not what it pretends to be." - H.L. Mencken

Quote Originally Posted by linda22003 View Post
    Why do we still have beauty pageants? Does anyone even know?
    Because the pageant system offers prize money and college scholarships to winners at every level. Some people like competing in 4-H, some people like competing in high school sports, and some people like competing in evening gowns. Whatever. It's not like most of them are going to be raising pigs, working with the NBA, or "Dancing With The Stars" in 20 years anyway.