Page 3 of 20 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by linda22003 View Post
    Why do we still have beauty pageants? Does anyone even know?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gRdfX7ut8gw

Power CUer
    Quote Originally Posted by Gingersnap View Post
    Because the pageant system offers prize money and college scholarships to winners at every level. Some people like competing in 4-H, some people like competing in high school sports, and some people like competing in evening gowns. Whatever. It's not like most of them are going to be raising pigs, working with the NBA, or "Dancing With The Stars" in 20 years anyway.
    I've never seen a 4-H competition on TV. And don't say it's popular; Miss America got booted from network television several years ago and has been bouncing around basic cable ever since.

Face it, pageants are as dead as Bert Parks.
    "Today, [the American voter] chooses his rulers as he buys bootleg whiskey, never knowing precisely what he is getting, only certain that it is not what it pretends to be." - H.L. Mencken

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Odysseus View Post
    Glad to hear it. What's your take on Hilton's comments about her?
    He's a tabloid blog clown, IMO.

Re: "Dumb Bitch." Not too bright, okay. As far as bitch, you'd have to ask the other contestants.

I think he qualifies as more of 'bitch'.

Banned
    I've never seen a 4-H competition on TV. And don't say it's popular; Miss America got booted from network television several years ago and has been bouncing around basic cable ever since.

Face it, pageants are as dead as Bert Parks.
    Bert Parks is DEAD!!! :eek:

People are uninterested in watching teens razor clip pigs and they aren't much enthused about watching pimply high school boys catch air. People do seem to like watching young girls parade around swimsuits and ball gowns.

Just because it can't compete with 'Battle of the Bods' in terms of viewership, doesn't mean that it still isn't of interest to a lot of people.

Banned
    Why do we still have beauty pageants? Does anyone even know?
    Me thinks someone didn't win her pageant when she was younger. :D;):p

In looking at her answer on you tube, if you notice between 45 and 55 seconds the audience is cheering her, I did not here booing from the crowd. It has been reported that there was a major cat fight in the lobby afterward in which parents and supporters of contestants in which the pro homosexual crowd verbally assaulted anyone who did not support their agenda. The competition should have shown that encounter and their ratings would have gone through the roof.:D

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Gingersnap View Post
    It's obviously not "easy to answer" unless she was willing to compromise her beliefs.

The problem here was with the judges. There is no reason to have a gay man judge an eye-wateringly heterosexual beauty pageant. There is certainly no reason allow a judge to engage in the very kind of catty, PMS-on-steroids behavior that so characterizes members of certain homosexual subcultures.

If nothing else, he has succeeded in confirming the very worst stereotype of the girly, effeminate gay man.
    Ginger:

I would guess that you're somewhat aware that in beauty pageant 'circles' -- gay men are the coaches, stylists, set designers, choreographers, show sponsors and pageant runners. They are a big part of the style, beauty, and performing arts community. I'd be surprise if Hilton was the only openly gay judge for that event. He's definitely not the first openly gay judge she's seen on her way up through the pageant system.

In that respect, you are right, if she could not compromise her beliefs, that particular question would be a showstopper for any contestant. Again, that I respect.

Resident Unliked Meanie Shannon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Water Closet View Post
    Bert Parks is DEAD!!! :eek:
    Who the hell is Bert Parks? Friggin old people.:p
    Loyalty Binds Me- Motto of Richard III

Quote Originally Posted by hazlnut View Post
    He's a tabloid blog clown, IMO.
    Re: "Dumb Bitch." Not too bright, okay. As far as bitch, you'd have to ask the other contestants.
    I think he qualifies as more of 'bitch'.
    As a general rule, beauty contestants aren't known for their brains, which is why there's no swimsuit competition at MENSA events. Regardless, if the positions had been reversed, and a straight male judge (obviously highly hypothetical here) had asked her for an opinion on gay marriage and she'd answered supportively, and that judge responded with the same vicious derision, the tsunami of outrage from the MSM would be off the charts, especially for introducing a loaded political question into the contest and then using his position to suppress the contestant's opinion. Hilton deliberately politicized an apolitical event and created a litmus test for future contestants: Conservatives need not apply.
    Quote Originally Posted by ReaganForRus View Post
    In looking at her answer on you tube, if you notice between 45 and 55 seconds the audience is cheering her, I did not here booing from the crowd. It has been reported that there was a major cat fight in the lobby afterward in which parents and supporters of contestants in which the pro homosexual crowd verbally assaulted anyone who did not support their agenda. The competition should have shown that encounter and their ratings would have gone through the roof.:D
    The media has reported lots of booing.
    Anyone want to bet that the majority of that booing came from the media itself?
    --Odysseus
    Sic Hacer Pace, Para Bellum.

Before you can do things for people, you must be the kind of man who can get things done. But to get things done, you must love the doing, not the people!