1. #1 Proof That Gay People Still Have A Long Way To Go 
    link

mudesi (1000+ posts) Wed Apr-22-09 11:12 AM
    Original message
    Proof That Gay People Still Have A Long Way To Go
    Miss California's opinion on gay marriage is still accepted as a valid opinion in the mainstream media. There are comments about it having been an unfair question, there are people saying as an American she expressed her beliefs and shouldn't have been penalized for it, and generally, there is no real big media outrage over her answer.

If she had said she didn't believe in interracial marriage, what kind of media response would this have gotten? 60 years ago, it would have gotten a similar treatment. Today, there would be widespread outrage across the nation.

Long way to go.
    Outrage about someones opinion on interracial marriage? Somehow I doubt it. It is still just an opinion someone is allowed to have (well at least until the libs outlaw it). What do you think?
    WillBowden
    3. It IS an opinion...
    She is entitled to it.

However, the reaction from people is something they are also entitled to have. People must understand that their words and actions do have consequences. Yep, you can say what you want. First Amendment. But when people react to your words you can't act surprised or innocent.

Then it becomes just ignorance.

(And "my country"...I don't quite get that one. I thought we were all one country.)
    WillBowden (1000+ posts) Wed Apr-22-09 11:33 AM
    Response to Reply #4
    10. I understand that...
    I'm not saying the OP isn't saying she wasn't entitled to the opinion. I'm saying that how she's crying about how she was cheated out of the crown and how the right wing is eating it up is sickening. Yes, she's entitled to what she believes, but we as Gays and Lesbians, and those who are our friends, are also justified in how we choose to react to her idiocy.

(Hope that clears my post up a bit. I'm way past due for bed and struggling to make sense.)
    LOL How the libs like to redefine words. I didn't see any literal OR figurative "crying".
    Starry Messenger (1000+ posts) Wed Apr-22-09 11:20 AM
    Response to Original message
    5. Agreed.
    I saw those questions here, too. Some straight people have a long way to go, too...in recognizing that this "opinion" is bigotry.
    The left thinks that all they have to do is label speech they don't like as "bigotry" and then everyone with an opposing opinion has to shut up.

Power CUer
    Quote Originally Posted by Carol View Post
    link

Outrage about someones opinion on interracial marriage? Somehow I doubt it. It is still just an opinion someone is allowed to have (well at least until the libs outlaw it). What do you think?
    I would think it expressed bigotry. The only time I heard someone express an opinion against it that I recall was an acquaintance, whom I saw at a friend's house when the Clarence Thomas hearings were on. He kept muttering angrily about the "wat waf" and it took me awhile to realize he was unhappy that Thomas had a "white wife".

I think gay marriage is more akin to the law, if not the "feelings", on interracial marriage. Some states allowed interracial marriage, and some backwardly referred to it as "miscegenation" and had laws against it. Eventually the Supreme Court ruled that all states had to recognize marriages contracted in other states, and I think gay marriage may well ultimately go that way, too.
    "Today, [the American voter] chooses his rulers as he buys bootleg whiskey, never knowing precisely what he is getting, only certain that it is not what it pretends to be." - H.L. Mencken

Quote Originally Posted by linda22003 View Post
    Eventually the Supreme Court ruled that all states had to recognize marriages contracted in other states, and I think gay marriage may well ultimately go that way, too.
    Sadly, you're probably right, as we no longer live in an America where our legislators carry out the will of the people. If this were the case, homosexual marriage wouldn't be legal in 1 state. Whenever it's been put to a vote it's been shot down by the people.
    Obama-if you're being run out of town, get out in front and pretend that it's a parade!!!

Power CUer
    Quote Originally Posted by stsinner View Post
    Sadly, you're probably right, as we no longer live in an America where our legislators carry out the will of the people. If this were the case, homosexual marriage wouldn't be legal in 1 state. Whenever it's been put to a vote it's been shot down by the people.
    Does that mean you disagree with Loving v. Virginia [388 US 1(1967)]? Should states have been able to continue to ban interracial marriage on a state by state basis?
    "Today, [the American voter] chooses his rulers as he buys bootleg whiskey, never knowing precisely what he is getting, only certain that it is not what it pretends to be." - H.L. Mencken

Whereas I disagree with Miss California's opinion, she was not rude when she expressed it, and is entitled to her opinion, under the 1st Amendment. What she said was far less objectionable than Perez Hilton's little crude rant about her, which was personally insulting.

I don't know why she was asked such a controversial question in the pageant, anyways. Don't they usually ask more simple questions, or questions like "How would you use a Miss USA crown to assist young women" or something along those lines.

Does that mean you disagree with Loving v. Virginia [388 US 1(1967)]? Should states have been able to continue to ban interracial marriage on a state by state basis?
    What a stupid question! Surely you can do better than this.. Race isn't a preference, so you can't deny people anything due to their race that you allow another based on theirs.. Homosexuality is a choice and is repulsive to most people (who won't ever admit it because of people like you), especially in the Bible Belt.

And marriage isn't just some cheap thing that people want to make it-it's always been, before the secular-progressive movement, kind of sacrosanct and associated with religion. I am in favor of full rights for gay couples under civil unions, but marriage should be off the table.
    Obama-if you're being run out of town, get out in front and pretend that it's a parade!!!

Power CUer
    I'm not at all sure I disagree with you about civil unions. I do think the argument that "I don't want gays to marry because it will harm MY marriage" makes no sense at all, however. I still disagree that homosexuality is a choice. How or if one expresses it might be, but the basic attraction is not a conscious choice.

Power CUer
    Quote Originally Posted by stsinner View Post
    What a stupid question! Surely you can do better than this.. Race isn't a preference, so you can't deny people anything due to their race that you allow another based on theirs.. Interracial marriage is a choice and is repulsive to most people, especially in the Bible Belt.
    I made a small word substitution and I can remember when that sentence was true, as I have amended it. Perceptions change over time. Polls indicate that "repulsion" over homosexuality is age-related, and that younger people don't care.

I Polls indicate that "repulsion" over homosexuality is age-related, and that younger people don't care.
    I think that you are right about this, as long as you're talking about secular families, not those who are active in their religions.

However, as I've said before, I think that sexual preference is a choice and, therefore, should not have civil rights protections.. Treating blacks the way we did in the past violated their very basic human and civil rights based on something that they absolutely cannot change.. But homosexual behavior is, in my opinion, a sickness and perversion of nature. They absolutely could choose to be straight again if they wished and no one would be the wiser, but blacks can't choose to be white-Michael Jackson can attest to this.

And luckily, young people have license to be stupid just by virtue of being young, but most adults don't have the same opinions about most things that they did when they were kids in college.. Most kids think that being drunk all day is fun in college and that partying is an acceptable lifestyle... Not many adults think this once they grow up. Once you have a family you start looking at destructive and irresponsible behaviors as what they are and hoping that your kids don't partake in them, for example. Your first paycheck may just turn you from Liberal to Conservative once you start seeing how much the government is taking from your paycheck and just how little you're getting for it.. You look around and see that your college degree has gotten you a job and you're working your ass off to bring home 71% of the money you earned while your neighbor sits on his ass and still has a new car...

Growing up means a lot more than just aging...

But, alas, you're are probably right and with the abolition of religion, homosexuality will just be another of the repulsive things that will flourish in our society. The only good thing is that they're almost always overachievers and keep a really clean house.. :D