1. #1 French Onion Soup 
    I had a bunch of onions just sitting there begging to be made into a soup! This was a full meal, very filling.
    From the Alton Brown Files. I didn't have any apple cider or cognac but it came out pretty good anyway!

Ingredients
    5 sweet onions (like Vidalias) or a combination of sweet and red onions (about 4 pounds)
    3 tablespoons butter
    1 teaspoon salt
    2 cups white wine
    10 ounces canned beef broth
    10 ounces chicken broth
    10 ounces apple cider (unfiltered is best)
    Bouquet garni; thyme sprigs, bay leaf and parsley tied together with kitchen string
    1 loaf country style bread
    Kosher salt
    Ground black pepper
    Splash of Cognac (optional)
    1 cup Fontina or Gruyere cheese, grated
    Directions
    Trim the ends off each onion then halve lengthwise. Remove peel and finely slice into half moon shapes. Set electric skillet to 300 degrees and add butter. Once butter has melted add a layer of onions and sprinkle with a little salt. Repeat layering onions and salt until all onions are in the skillet. Do not try stirring until onions have sweated down for 15 to 20 minutes. After that, stir occasionally until onions are dark mahogany and reduced to approximately 2 cups. This should take 45 minutes to 1 hour. Do not worry about burning.

Add enough wine to cover the onions and turn heat to high, reducing the wine to a syrup consistency. Add consume, chicken broth, apple cider and bouquet garni. Reduce heat and simmer 15 to 20 minutes.

Place oven rack in top 1/3 of oven and heat broiler.

Cut country bread in rounds large enough to fit mouth of oven safe soup crocks. Place the slices on a baking sheet and place under broiler for 1 minute.

Season soup mixture with salt, pepper and cognac. Remove bouquet garni and ladle soup into crocks leaving one inch to the lip. Place bread round, toasted side down, on top of soup and top with grated cheese. Broil until cheese is bubbly and golden, 1 to 2 minutes.

Easy ingredients

Starts out with a full pot of onions

It will cook down to this, I already added the wine and am cooking it down to a syrup

And finally, time to eat!

: ďGrow your own dope. Plant a liberal.Ē
    Ē Obummercare, 20 percent of the time it works everytime.

Power CUer
    I loooove making onion soup in the winter. I've used the crockpot to caramelize the onions; it takes longer, but you don't have to babysit them. And the house smells fabulous.
    "Today, [the American voter] chooses his rulers as he buys bootleg whiskey, never knowing precisely what he is getting, only certain that it is not what it pretends to be." - H.L. Mencken

Um...Nice countertops.!!!

My wife loves onions! We'll try this this weekend. Thanks for the recipe.
    Obama-if you're being run out of town, get out in front and pretend that it's a parade!!!

gator
    My goodness man do I have to teach you everything?

This is Alton Brownís recipe and while good is not the best.

First of all you live in Plant City Florida. That means you have access to Strawberry Onions, which are much sweeter and milder than Vidalias or those purple things. You can get them at any produce stand in Hillsborough or Polk County. The Strawberry Onions make wonderful sweet flavorful onion soup.

Second of all you donít need chicken stock. It is better to use all beef broth. I like to use a mixture of beef broth and beef consommť.

Third of all drop the goddamn apple juice. It really adds nothing to the soup. In fact it makes it a little too sweet and gives it an odd taste. It is better to get the sweetness from the caramelized onions instead of add-ons.

The real difference between good onion soup and great is how well you caramelize the onions. Second would be the taste of the wine that you put in. The wine will have a great influence on the taste.

You donít need an electric skillet but you do need to watch the onions and make sure they donít burn. When I make onion soup I usually spend an hour standing at the stove caramelizing the onions. You canít rush that step or else the soup will be mediocre instead of great.

Another thing that will make the soup great to add good quality beef to it. If I have a standing rib roast I usually save some of it in the freezer just to add to onion soup.

You have lots to learn young man. While I admire your tenacity I feel sorry that you will never reach your full potential without my expert opinion. I would strongly suggest that the next time you try to cook something on your own you call me and ask for my advice. I may save you the embarrassment of a mediocre meal when you could have had a great meal.

As usual....Pat45's thread is making me salivate...:D
    Gun Control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound - Unknown

The problem is Empty People, Not Loaded Guns - Linda Schrock Taylor

Quote Originally Posted by gator View Post
    My goodness man do I have to teach you everything?

This is Alton Brownís recipe and while good is not the best.

First of all you live in Plant City Florida. That means you have access to Strawberry Onions, which are much sweeter and milder than Vidalias or those purple things. You can get them at any produce stand in Hillsborough or Polk County. The Strawberry Onions make wonderful sweet flavorful onion soup.

Second of all you donít need chicken stock. It is better to use all beef broth. I like to use a mixture of beef broth and beef consommť.

Third of all drop the goddamn apple juice. It really adds nothing to the soup. In fact it makes it a little too sweet and gives it an odd taste. It is better to get the sweetness from the caramelized onions instead of add-ons.

The real difference between good onion soup and great is how well you caramelize the onions. Second would be the taste of the wine that you put in. The wine will have a great influence on the taste.

You donít need an electric skillet but you do need to watch the onions and make sure they donít burn. When I make onion soup I usually spend an hour standing at the stove caramelizing the onions. You canít rush that step or else the soup will be mediocre instead of great.

Another thing that will make the soup great to add good quality beef to it. If I have a standing rib roast I usually save some of it in the freezer just to add to onion soup.

You have lots to learn young man. While I admire your tenacity I feel sorry that you will never reach your full potential without my expert opinion. I would strongly suggest that the next time you try to cook something on your own you call me and ask for my advice. I may save you the embarrassment of a mediocre meal when you could have had a great meal.
    Gator, you actually have to read the thread! I used no apple juice nor cognac! I also used a cast iron kettle and I did stand there for about an hour caramelizing the onions!

Never thought about adding beef, but then it wouldn't be Onion soup, would it!

I didn't have to go veggie stand hopping, I had the onions just sitting there! But thanke for the advise! :D

: ďGrow your own dope. Plant a liberal.Ē
    Ē Obummercare, 20 percent of the time it works everytime.