Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Hybrid View

1. #1 Rene Marie was introduced to sing the national anthem. But that's not what she sang. 
    An Adversary of Linda #'s
    'Black National Anthem' At State Of City Stirs Controversy

One of the most notable incidents from Tuesday's State of the City address occurred even before the mayor's speech began. After the Pledge of Allegiance, Rene Marie was introduced to sing the national anthem. But that's not what she sang.

Martin actually sang the tune of the traditional national anthem with the lyrics to "Lift Every Voice and Sing." It's a song some have called the National Black Anthem, the Negro National Anthem or the Black National Anthem. Once she finished performing, there was a moment of awkward silence and then the crowd gave her mild applause. Marie said she understood why the audience was confused, since the song sounded familiar but the lyrics were different.

"Art is supposed to make you think. I wanted to express how I felt, being a black woman living in this country," Marie told 7NEWS.

The Denver Mayor's Office said it wasn't aware that Marie was planning to sing that version of the song.

"We were as surprised as anyone that jazz singer René Marie did not sing our national anthem at today's State of the City ceremony, as our staff had requested," Mayor John Hickenlooper said in prepared statement.

"As I listened to her sing, I assumed she would eventually move into the traditional Star Spangled Banner. I called her personally this afternoon to understand what happened. She explained her song was an artistic expression of her love for her country. She said she meant no disrespect of any kind and that her song was in no way intended to be a political statement. She apologized for any problems she may have created," Hickenlooper said. "I'm disappointed that this matter has been a distraction from the great work and significant accomplishments of our city employees over the past year and the many important initiatives on tap for the coming year.

http://www.thedenverchannel.com/news...09/detail.html

Resident Unliked Meanie Shannon's Avatar
    Give me a fucking break.
    Loyalty Binds Me- Motto of Richard III

gator
    If you think this is bad just wait until Obama is Prez.

For instance, do you know what the word “reparation” means?

Having the Blacks sing the Black National Anthem will be the least of our problems.

Life as we know it will be over. America will be fucked.

Quote Originally Posted by gator View Post
    For instance, do you know what the word “reparation” means?.
    Ooo! Ooo! I do! I do! It means "forcing white crackers to bend over and be f'ed over by black people who are brainwashed into thinking they have some sort of entitlement due to something that happened decades ago to now long-dead black people who may or may not be related to people today." Something like that. It's late.
    OPEACHMENT NOW!!!

Stinger:
    "I was... ordered to drop my pants, bend over and spread my cheeks."
    --RagingInMiami achieving the DUmp's highest level of nirvana

An Adversary of Linda #'s
    Quote Originally Posted by gator View Post
    If you think this is bad just wait until Obama is Prez.

For instance, do you know what the word “reparation” means?

Having the Blacks sing the Black National Anthem will be the least of our problems.

Life as we know it will be over. America will be fucked.
    If Obama becomes POTUS what can we expect ?

National Anthem: Lift Every Voice And Sing:
    PLEDGE OF ALLEGIANCE: To the Gay Rainbow Flag
    Wesley Clark :First Stooge
    Charles Rangel:Chief of Staff
    Al Sharpton Jr. Extortionist in chief
    Jesse Jackson, :Acolyte Extortionist in Training
    Elijah Muhammad, Pope of church of Obama(COB)
    Louis Farrakhan, Cardinal of COB
    Barbara C. Harris, Bishop of the first (COB)
    David Dinkins, First Minister of the (COB)
    Carol Mosely Braun,: Supreme Court(Ginsberg)
    Shirley Anita St. Hill Chisholm,Solicitor General
    Maynard Jackson, Mayor of DC

Modern Slavery 101

Contrary to popular belief, slavery didn’t end with Abraham Lincoln in 1865. Experts estimate that today there are 27 million people enslaved around the world.

Contemporary Child Slavery in Mauritania
    By Libbie Snyder
    For the past 800 years, child slaves in Mauritania have been as invisible in their own community as the country’s institution of slavery has been to international eyes. In Mauritania today, an estimated one million of the population live as slaves and approximately half of slaves are children.
    http://www.iabolish.org/slavery_in_depth/

There are many people far worse off than the decendents of slaves. Not to mention the fact that worldwide, slavery has been so prevalent, we are all probably decendent of slaves.
    -
    -
    -

In actual dollars, President Obama’s $4.4 trillion in deficit spending in just three years is 37 percent higher than the previous record of $3.2 trillion (held by President George W. Bush) in deficit spending for an entire presidency. It’s no small feat to demolish an 8-year record in just 3 years.

Under Obama’s own projections, interest payments on the debt are on course to triple from 2010 (his first budgetary year) to 2018, climbing from $196 billion to $685 billion annually.

Lift Every Voice And Sing Lyrics:

Lift every voice and sing, till earth and Heaven ring,
    Ring with the harmonies of liberty;
    Let our rejoicing rise, high as the listening skies,
    Let it resound loud as the rolling sea.
    Sing a song full of the faith that the dark past has taught us,
    Sing a song full of the hope that the present has brought us;
    Facing the rising sun of our new day begun,
    Let us march on till victory is won.

Stony the road we trod, bitter the chastening rod,
    Felt in the days when hope unborn had died;
    Yet with a steady beat, have not our weary feet,
    Come to the place for which our fathers sighed?
    We have come over a way that with tears has been watered,
    We have come, treading our path through the blood of the slaughtered;
    Out from the gloomy past, till now we stand at last
    Where the white gleam of our bright star is cast.

God of our weary years, God of our silent tears,
    Thou Who hast brought us thus far on the way;
    Thou Who hast by Thy might, led us into the light,
    Keep us forever in the path, we pray.
    Lest our feet stray from the places, our God, where we met Thee.
    Lest our hearts, drunk with the wine of the world, we forget Thee.
    Shadowed beneath Thy hand, may we forever stand,
    True to our God, true to our native land.
    My family has done plenty of stony trodding and silent weeping but I have no desire to hear that expressed in a community song of any kind. :mad:

What's ironic here is that blacks are way overrepresented in Denver city employee demographics. Denver is really a white/Hispanic town.

The Looper is just an idiot.

Resident Unliked Meanie Shannon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MrsSmith View Post
    http://www.iabolish.org/slavery_in_depth/

There are many people far worse off than the decendents of slaves. Not to mention the fact that worldwide, slavery has been so prevalent, we are all probably decendent of slaves.

I'm waiting for reparations from England for what they put my ancestors through.
    Loyalty Binds Me- Motto of Richard III

Power CUer
    Quote Originally Posted by megimoo View Post
    'Black National Anthem' At State Of City Stirs Controversy

"Art is supposed to make you think. I wanted to express how I felt, being a black woman living in this country," Marie told 7NEWS.

But that wasn't what she was hired to do. She was hired to sing the National Anthem. If she felt ill equipped to do it, there are many other professional singers (including a friend of mine who does USO shows) who would have been very happy to have sung the National Anthem.

I hope they put a stop-payment on that check. She broke the contract.

noonwitch
    We sing the first verse only during Black History month in my church, just like we sing the Battle Hymn of The Republic on Memorial Day weekend, and probably this Sunday, we will sing God Bless America. I like the words to the first verse, it's a good song if you just stick that. I will note that "Lift Every Voice And Sing" is sung at pretty much every formal city government function in Detroit.

She should have sang both songs, with "Star-Spangled Banner" first.