Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Quote Originally Posted by Elspeth View Post
    But that wasn't what she was hired to do. She was hired to sing the National Anthem. If she felt ill equipped to do it, there are many other professional singers (including a friend of mine who does USO shows) who would have been very happy to have sung the National Anthem.

I hope they put a stop-payment on that check. She broke the contract.

At 4:00 Wednesday, Hickenlooper made his final statement on what he called a surprise move by someone he trusted, saying, "We had no idea this was going to happen. This is not something the City of Denver would ever sanction or condone."

Hickenlooper said, "We didn't pay her, so I mean, there was no contract. We asked her to come sing the national anthem and we expected her to come sing the national anthem and we were disappointed and frustrated that that did not happen."

I had never heard of the "Black National Anthem".

http://cw2.trb.com/news/kwgn-nationa...,6040974.story
    This is bigger than presidential politics. This is a battle for America.

Power CUer
    The original tune for "Lift Every Voice and Sing" is beautiful, but she crammed the lyrics into the tune to the "Star Spangled Banner".

Just more of the ol double standard. If this was a similar stunt pulled by a white person, how silent would the media be?

Classic gator.;)
    At Coretta Scott King's funeral in early 2006, Ethel Kennedy, the widow of Robert Kennedy, leaned over to him and whispered, "The torch is being passed to you." "A chill went up my spine," Obama told an aide. (Newsweek)

Goldwater
    Quote Originally Posted by linda22003 View Post
    I have no objection to any of the lyrics, and the music is beautiful. But it's not the song she was contracted to sing.
    You beat me to it.