Thread: FOX Rejects White House Request to Air Obama Speech

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. #1 FOX Rejects White House Request to Air Obama Speech 
    Fox won't air Obama's prime-time press conference

CNN
    Posted: 09:19 PM ET

(CNN) Fox Broadcasting Company announced Monday it will not carry President Barack Obama's prime time press conference marking his first 100 days in office, the first time a broadcast network has refused an Obama administration request for that valuable airtime.

The network will instead carry its regularly scheduled episode "Lie to Me," according to its Web site. The show is among the network's most popular and draws an average of 13 million viewers a week. That compares to the relatively paltry 4.2 million who watched the president's last prime-time press conference on Fox. In all, close to 40 million watched that event on one of the eight networks that carried it.

Obama's press conference also comes at the start of the May "sweeps" period, when viewership is watched closely to set the rate networks can charge for advertising.

In a statement to the Hollywood Reporter, the network said it will alert viewers just ahead of the 8 pm ET event that the press conference will be broadcast on sister stations Fox News and Fox Business Channel.

CBS, NBC, and ABC have said they will pre-empt their regularly scheduled programs to air the president's news conference.

The Wednesday night event will be Obama's third prime-time press conference as president. His prime-time address to Congress in February was also carried by all four major broadcast networks.

The White House is not commenting on Fox's decision.
    "Because we're a great nation, our challenges seem complex; it will always be this way. But as long as we remember our first principals and believe in ourselves, the future will always be ours." -Reagan

:D

This is why Fox beats all the other networks.

I guess FOX would rather play a fictional show named "Lie to Me" than a live action show called "Lie to America".
    Solve a man's problem with violence and help him for a day. Teach a man how to solve his problems with violence, help him for a lifetime - Belkar Bitterleaf

Super Moderator Constitutionally Speaking's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Zathras View Post
    I guess FOX would rather play a fictional show named "Lie to Me" than a live action show called "Lie to America".

The consequences are less damaging to the country.
    I long for the days when our President actually liked our country.

Banned
    Oh boy I bet the DUmmies and other dimwits are all up and arms about this :D

I wonder what the chosen one will do to get back at fox?

Power CUer
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawkgirl View Post
    :D

This is why Fox beats all the other networks.
    "Executives at Fox, owned by News Corp., would not comment on the decision Monday. It's not without precedent for the network: Fox didn't carry a prime-time speech by President George W. Bush in November 2001 despite a request from the White House."

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...042703478.html
    "Today, [the American voter] chooses his rulers as he buys bootleg whiskey, never knowing precisely what he is getting, only certain that it is not what it pretends to be." - H.L. Mencken

Power CUer
    Quote Originally Posted by Lars1701a View Post
    I wonder what the chosen one will do to get back at fox?
    "An executive at one of the three other broadcasters -- who spoke on the condition of anonymity because the conversations were private -- said that network's executives had expressed concern to the White House about the frequency of prime-time news conferences and the financial sacrifice being made to carry the event.

The executive said it was hoped the administration would be more flexible in working with networks to find the best times to schedule the events. "

"Today, [the American voter] chooses his rulers as he buys bootleg whiskey, never knowing precisely what he is getting, only certain that it is not what it pretends to be." - H.L. Mencken

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by linda22003 View Post
    "An executive at one of the three other broadcasters -- who spoke on the condition of anonymity because the conversations were private -- said that network's executives had expressed concern to the White House about the frequency of prime-time news conferences and the financial sacrifice being made to carry the event.

The executive said it was hoped the administration would be more flexible in working with networks to find the best times to schedule the events. "

Didn't answer my question but thanks for trying. :)

Power CUer
    In terms of "getting back" at a network, it looks like the networks are trying to point out that this cuts into their highest revenue time. Fox isn't alone in needing ad money.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by linda22003 View Post
    In terms of "getting back" at a network, it looks like the networks are trying to point out that this cuts into their highest revenue time. Fox isn't alone in needing ad money.
    I understand that and an fair administration would not try to pay fox back but the magic nergo's is anything but fair. Being the chosen one, he will not be pleased his voice is not reaching everyones ears. :D