Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast
  1. #1 Arlen Specter switching to Dem party 
    Just saw on Fox that Arlen Specter is switching to Democratic party. No links yet.
    Better to die on your feet than live on your knees.

Power CUer
    He started out as a Democrat in Philadelphia politics, so he's really just switching back.
    "Today, [the American voter] chooses his rulers as he buys bootleg whiskey, never knowing precisely what he is getting, only certain that it is not what it pretends to be." - H.L. Mencken

He's always been a democrat. I can call myself a brain surgeon, but I'm still an insurance agent.
    I feel that once a black fella has referred to white foks as "honky paleface devil white-trash cracker redneck Caspers," he's abdicated the right to get upset about the "N" word. But that's just me. -- Jim Goad

Paging Collins and Snowe, you are wanted on the other side of the aisle.

I guess thats next!

: “Grow your own dope. Plant a liberal.”
    ” Obummercare, 20 percent of the time it works everytime.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Rebel Yell View Post
    He's always been a democrat. I can call myself a brain surgeon, but I'm still an insurance agent.
    You're an INSURANCE AGENT!!!! :eek: :eek: :D

For the life of me, I can never understand why a person would sell their character in order to stay in office.
    I guess the old joke about a a sailor on shore leave propositions a young lady by asking " Would you go to bed with me for $1million?" She smiles and says "YES!!!!!".......He counters, "Would you go to bed with me for $10?"...she immediately becomes upset and says "What type of woman do you think I am?..He replies,
    "We've already established what type of lady you are...we're negotiating now!"

Same with Specter.

I need a shower:(

Banned
    Bye, bye filibuster.

9. #9 Specter To Switch Parties 
    Specter To Switch Parties
    Pennsylvania Sen. Arlen Specter will switch his party affiliation from Republican to Democrat and announced today that he will run in 2010 as a Democrat, according to a statement he released this morning.

Specter's decision would give Democrats a 60 seat filibuster proof majority in the Senate assuming Democrat Al Franken is eventually sworn in as the next senator from Minnesota. (Former senator Norm Coleman is appealing Franken's victory in the state Supreme Court.)

"I have decided to run for re-election in 2010 in the Democratic primary," said Specter in a statement. "I am ready, willing and anxious to take on all comers and have my candidacy for re-election determined in a general election."

He added: "Since my election in 1980, as part of the Reagan Big Tent, the Republican Party has moved far to the right. Last year, more than 200,000 Republicans in Pennsylvania changed their registration to become Democrats. I now find my political philosophy more in line with Democrats than Republicans."

President Obama was informed of Specter's decision at around 10:25 a.m., according to White House officials, and reached out to the senator minutes later to tell him "you have my full support," and we are "thrilled to have you."

Specter as a Democrat would also fundamentally alter the 2010 calculus in Pennsylvania as he was expected to face a difficult primary challenge next year from former Rep. Pat Toomey. The only announced Democrat in the race is former National Constitution Center head Joe Torsella although several other candidates are looking at the race.

The precariousness of Specter's political position -- a Republican in a Democratic-leaning state -- was on display earlier this year when he was one of three GOP senators to back President Obama's $787 billion economic stimulus plan. That vote was strongly condemned by conservative Republicans and Toomey used that vote as the launching pad for his candidacy.
    If only all the RINOs would do this.

WaPo

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Gingersnap View Post
    If only all the RINOs would do this.

WaPo
    A nice thought, but if you only allow those who take the "pure" conservative viewpoint on:

Social Issues
    1. Abortion and related issues such as birth control, sex education, stem cell research
    2. The role of religion in government
    3. Gun control
    4. Enforcement of social/religious/moral norms, e.g., gay marriage, prostitution, drugs
    5. Environmental issues

Foreign/Defense Issues
    1. Role and function of the military
    2. Role and function of diplomacy

Economic Issues
    1. Taxes
    2. Government role in the economy
    3. Size/cost of government

the Republicans would be a fringe party.