Thread: Pigs in Egypt?

1. #1 Pigs in Egypt? 
    Egypt slaughtering all pigs to stop swine flu

Apr 29 07:34 AM US/Eastern
    Comments (6) Share on Facebook

CAIRO (AP) - The Egyptian government says it has begun slaughtering all pigs in the country as a precautionary measure against the possible spread of swine flu.

The Health Ministry says the slaughter of the country's 300,000 pigs will begin immediately.

The ministry has stated several times that there are no cases swine flu in the country, however neighboring Israel has reported two.

http://www.breitbart.com/article.php...show_article=1

What would they have pig in Eygpt for? Halal bacon ?

Power CUer
    Are you under the impression that every person in Egypt is Muslim? You've never heard of Coptic Christians? There are millions of them in Egypt.
    "Today, [the American voter] chooses his rulers as he buys bootleg whiskey, never knowing precisely what he is getting, only certain that it is not what it pretends to be." - H.L. Mencken

I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else.
    C. S. Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by linda22003 View Post
    Are you under the impression that every person in Egypt is Muslim? You've never heard of Coptic Christians? There are millions of them in Egypt.
    I now of Coptic christians I just didn't think the muslim majority would allow pigs in the country.They do nothing but complain about pigs in england. Banks can't even give away piggy banks or muslims are offended

I expect this move is more about sticking it to the Christians than any concerns over public health issues.

Quote Originally Posted by linda22003 View Post
    This is true, and despite the presence of the Muslim Brotherhood, Egypt does not practice Sharia law, althought the Copts are subject to all sorts of ugly abuses and discrimination. In fact, this outbreak may provide the Islamists with an opportunity to inveigh against the evils of pork and those who eat it.
    --Odysseus
    Sic Hacer Pace, Para Bellum.

Before you can do things for people, you must be the kind of man who can get things done. But to get things done, you must love the doing, not the people!

Quote Originally Posted by FlaGator View Post

I miss The Muppet Show. Unlike Dukes of Hazzard, this was a show I liked watching with the kids I babysat for in the 80s.

Quote Originally Posted by noonwitch View Post
    I miss The Muppet Show. Unlike Dukes of Hazzard, this was a show I liked watching with the kids I babysat for in the 80s.
    I don't see a lot of connection between the Dukes of Hazzard and the Muppets (although Catherine Bach certainly had all of the right stuffing ). I preferred the Muppets to Green Acres and Roseanne, the latter two both featuring a pig named "Arnold" and the former and the latter featuring pigs in lipstick. :D
    Last edited by Odysseus; 04-29-2009 at 01:42 PM.
    --Odysseus
    Sic Hacer Pace, Para Bellum.

Before you can do things for people, you must be the kind of man who can get things done. But to get things done, you must love the doing, not the people!

9. #9 Egyptian Christians riot after swine flu cull 
    Egyptian Christians riot after swine flu cull
    Egyptian leaders ordered the slaughter of hundreds of thousands of pigs today to help protect against swine flu, prompting angry protests from the poor Christan farmers who feed their animals with a country's food scraps. The decision was also criticised as a "real mistake" by a senior UN food expert.

The Arab world's most populous nation has been been badly hit by the H5N1 bird flu virus in recent years and the move to cull up to 400,000 pigs - seen by Muslims as unclean animals - was designed to calm fears of an impending pandemic.

But it left Egypt's large Coptic Christian minority up in arms, especially the slum-dwelling "Zebaleen" rubbish collectors who rely on the hogs for their livelihood. Scores of them blocked the streets and stoned the vehicles of Health Ministry workers as they arrived to carry out the government's order at pig farms on the outskirts of Cario this afternoon.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/new...cle6193785.ece
    This is really pretty sad.