Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast
  1. #1 The Religious Right or Jessica Hahn, where are you? 
    Banned
    The genesis of this thread is a reply I made in the thread regarding Specter changing parties...

Quote Originally Posted by Water Closet View Post
    Well, I didn't make that statement (at least in this thread), hazlnut did. However, relating to the general term of "bedroom," the RR:

1. Opposes gay marriage and, down deep, opposes domestic partnerships (they are marginally on board with the latter as an antidote to pure gay marriage)
    2. Favors laws regulating sexual practices between consenting adults (witness the sodomy laws)
    3. Favors stringent enforcement of laws regarding prostitution
    4. Would like to see laws regulating PDA (an acronym I learned here :eek: meaning "public displays of affection") between gays
    5. Opposes sex education in schools
    This, predictably, engendered a great deal of discussion that drifted away from the subject of the OP. Therefore, being a responsible member of this community, I decided to break the topic out into a separate thread.

The original post was constrained by looking at those issues/positions of the Religious Right (RR) as regard specifically to the bedroom. If I were to drop that constraint and look at a broader range of issues, I would add the following:

6. Opposes the legalization of drugs
    7. Opposes abortion, including many forms of birth control that it regards as equivalent to abortion
    8. Supports the teaching of creationism (in some form) in science classes as an "alternative" to evolution

What is important to note about all of these issues is that the RR supports or opposes based primarily upon moral grounds derived directly from their religion.

All of this leads me to a series of questions as follows:

1. Does the Religious Right even exist as a cohesive political and social force in this country?

2. Are the above eight points a fair and accurate portrayal of the RR and their position on issues?

3. Has the RR taken the Republican Party to the right over the last 28 years? If so, has this broadened support for the Republicans or shrank it?

4. Would the RR like to see a government that enforced its religious/moral beliefs, even at a cost to personal freedoms? Note that I'm not speaking of turning the government into a theocracy, but rather of returning to a (mythical) time in the past whereat the policies of the government were more in tune with the teachings of the scripture.

Power CUer
    The answers to #1 and #3 are yes, and yes (and that a yes to #3 has shrunk it).

Once those two questions are answered in the affirmative, the rest don't really matter, do they?
    "Today, [the American voter] chooses his rulers as he buys bootleg whiskey, never knowing precisely what he is getting, only certain that it is not what it pretends to be." - H.L. Mencken

1. I don't know if I'd call them cohesive or a force.
    2. More or less. But the slightly less religious right is mostly for them as well.
    3. No. Support is probably a wash.
    4. Absolutely, but that's no different than anyone else on the left or right, other than the religious excuse.

I'd have to disagree with Linda. I think that conservative Christians naturally felt more attracted to the Republican party for a time. They joined (or voted for) the Republicans because of some common ground. Naturally enough, the Republicans listened to this block of people and there was feedback between the two groups.

That said, conservative Christians have a generally wary view of government regardless of which party is in power.

Speaking as a member of the RR demographic, I see it as much less cohesive than the average newsie or pundit would see it. They get blinded by the whole cross/bible dynamic and fail to see the many differences among us. They also fail to distinguish between conservative Christians, traditional Christians, and socially conservative but politically liberal Christians. We aren't the same and we don't have the same views or aspirations.

5. #5 Somewhere in the middle 
    I would say that my views border on the views of the RR, but not quite as profound. I am in agreement with most of the points that were cited, numbers 1-8 with a mild exception of number 8. I don't believe that religion should be pushed onto anyone and in my mind some of the theories regarding creation I consider to be stories. Religion should be something that a person finds for him or herself with the guiding hand of their parents. In a perfect world, everyone's families would be so inclined, but unfortunately we have many children who are so lost by their 6th birthday that there is almost no hope for them to be grounded and rooted with the values and beliefs of most Christians.

1. I think that the RR is alive, but not doing so well recently with the rise of the liberal, Christian hating media.
    2. The 8 points are an accurate rendition of the beliefs held by the majority of the RR, but some might be more passionate about a few of the points and not so on the other ones.
    3. I think that the RR is trying to keep the Republican party where it started, but some ranking members of the party are trying to take it too far left. There is finally some dissent among the regular mambers that are tired of their representatives moving their views and laws to the left.
    4. I think that the views of our Founding Fathers and the constitution need to be taken into account, but at the same time we need to realize that not everything is going to be the same. We live in a different world than our Founders did and the change that has come with a more global economy needs to be taken into account when we look at the laws and regulations that currently exist. The majority of the people in the world would not agree with a theocracy, there are too many beliefs and religions for all of us to be incorporated under one umbrella.

Quote Originally Posted by Gingersnap View Post
    I see it as much less cohesive than the average newsie or pundit would see it. They get blinded by the whole cross/bible dynamic and fail to see the many differences among us. They also fail to distinguish between conservative Christians, traditional Christians, and socially conservative but politically liberal Christians. We aren't the same and we don't have the same views or aspirations.
    I don't think anyone is blinded by the cross/bible dynamic. I think they very well know there exist a multitude of differences between Christians. What they want is a straw/bogey man Christian for the purposes of changing social values. For example, if you polled people who were against gay marriage, you'd find many who weren't religious at all. However, if you link that position strongly to the "religious right", and you've already spent a lot of time and capital discrediting the definition of that group, then you may have an easier time drawing moderates to your point of view.
    Not many want to be on the same side as those who are considered religious extremists.

Quote Originally Posted by Gingersnap View Post
    That said, conservative Christians have a generally wary view of government regardless of which party is in power.
    You need to meet my in laws..
    My wife and I are both Christian, but her mom and pop have vastly different views from us on how wary we are of government. When any Republican is in power, to them it's the same as Christ himself and his Kingdom on earth....they are quite at peace with government intervention if it suits their POV. They've even went so far to tell me that McCain was a "Godly" man....and reprimanded me for my 3rd party choice.... who just happened to be a baptist pastor.
    Gun Control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound - Unknown

The problem is Empty People, Not Loaded Guns - Linda Schrock Taylor

Quote Originally Posted by FeebMaster View Post
    1. I don't know if I'd call them cohesive or a force.
    2. More or less. But the slightly less religious right is mostly for them as well.
    3. No. Support is probably a wash.
    4. Absolutely, but that's no different than anyone else on the left or right, other than the religious excuse.
    I concur....although I'll add to number 3 that the RR has been a patsy of the Republicans for some time. Just like the treehuggers are a patsy for the Democrats.

They have very little control over moving the party right or left.
    The Republican party has not, nor will it ever seriouly try to overturn Roe V Wade. And the RR are duped every year into believing differently.
    Gun Control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound - Unknown

The problem is Empty People, Not Loaded Guns - Linda Schrock Taylor

Power CUer
    I misread #1 and would like to change my answer, Alex. :)
    "Today, [the American voter] chooses his rulers as he buys bootleg whiskey, never knowing precisely what he is getting, only certain that it is not what it pretends to be." - H.L. Mencken

I'm not even sure what the religious right is? I am religious (Christian) and my political views lean right. I, however, don't resemble much of what you describe as the religious right, and I can only think of one person that I know who comes close to fitting that description. Most of the Christians I know could careless what goes on in the world except where it effects the practice of our beliefs. This is not to say that when we vote we don't vote based on our moral point of view or conscience.

I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else.
    C. S. Lewis