1. #1 Student Says Teacher Scolded Him for Viewing FOXNews.com 
    A Michigan high school is investigating allegations that one of its teachers berated and belittled a student for taking part in what the teacher considered an unacceptable activity: reading FOXNews.com.

A young man who identified himself only as Mitchell, an 18-year-old senior at Traverse City West Senior High School, called in to Rush Limbaugh's radio show Thursday and said he was yelled at in front of his classmates for reading the "wrong" news.

The teacher of his video production class saw what he was looking at and "proceeded to give me a 10-minute lecture on why I can't read FOX News ... and that I can only listen to BBC and other news venues," the student said.

James Feil, superintendent of Traverse City Area Public Schools, told FOXNews.com that any attempts to pressure students politically would go against his schools' policies.

"It would be inappropriate. I would clearly tell you that is not something that we would do anything to indoctrinate students here," he said. "That would clearly be a violation of our policies and guidelines, written or non-written."
    http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,518636,00.html

I spent a semester at TC West before moving to the next school district. I wasn't really involved in politics then, or even really staying current with up to date events, so I wouldn't have noticed any actual bias. But I'm not really suprised. Traverse City is something like the San Fransisco of Michigan. And I doubt it's gotten any better since Michael Moore decided to make it his home.

Senior Member Constitutionally Speaking's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by djones520 View Post

I spent a semester at TC West before moving to the next school district. I wasn't really involved in politics then, or even really staying current with up to date events, so I wouldn't have noticed any actual bias. But I'm not really suprised. Traverse City is something like the San Fransisco of Michigan. And I doubt it's gotten any better since Michael Moore decided to make it his home.

Where are you now??? I spend a LOT of time in that area trout fishing!
    I long for the days when our President actually liked our country.

I'm in St. Louis now, at Scott AFB. I went to High School in NW Michigan. Like I said I spent a semester at TC West, and finished High School up at Benzie Central.

Quote Originally Posted by djones520 View Post

No, no, Royal Oak and Ferndale are the San Franciscos of Michigan. Ann Arbor is the Berkely. Michael Moore doesn't live in Traverse City, he lives in Torch Lake, about 30-40 miles away. He does sponsor TC's film festival, which has been really good for their economy and showcases movies from recent releases to classics. They use a vintage, dowtown theater that would be empty, otherwise, due to the multiplexes south of town by the mall. I've been there during the festival-although it brings liberals from all over, films shown are generally not political in nature. It's just that not too many conservatives are going to participate in any way in something that bears Michael Moore's name. I'm not likely to attend an Ann Coulter bookfest.

Traverse City is a beautiful place, it's where I go to for my summer vacations (Grandpa lives on lakefront property on the OMP, so I can stay for free). Where Grandpa lives, there are beaches, wineries, cherry farms, rolling hills, and a lot of natural beauty, still.

The city of TC does have a gay rights amendment to their city charter-a lot of cities in Michigan have them, including Grand Rapids. I think it was done out of a realization that they already had lots of gay tourists, which are a big part of their summer tourism income. TC and the area have lots of gay-friendly business like bed and breakfasts, antique shops, and so on. If people find that offensive, there are plenty of less-tolerant cities around. Kalkaska or any of those little towns on US 131, for example. Northern Michigan is a beautiful place, whatever one's politics.

Teachers who don't understand free speech can be found anywhere.

I happen to enjoy foxnews.com...glad im out of high school!