1. #1 GPS Units to Help You Get...Around the Supermarket? 
    GPS Units May Guide Elderly Through Supermarkets

Thursday, April 30, 2009
    Fox News

Lost in the supermarket? Can no longer shop happily? Fret no more, if British researchers have their way.

A team led by Paul Watson at Newcastle University is working on GPS navigators that would help elderly people find their way through supermarket aisles, according to the Daily Telegraph.

"Many older people lack the confidence to maintain 'normal' walking habits," he tells the newspaper. "This is often due to worries about getting lost in unfamiliar, new or changing environments."

Watson's also working on an "ambient kitchen" that would help people with Alzheimer's disease remember where they put the sugar.

Sensors on drawers and cupboards would feed into a computer, which would remind users where things are if it sensed they were getting confused.

More at the Daily Telegraph...
    "Because we're a great nation, our challenges seem complex; it will always be this way. But as long as we remember our first principals and believe in ourselves, the future will always be ours." -Reagan

I doubt that elderly people have much trouble navigating the supermarket. I'm completely convinced that they don't show any natural interest in Flaming Hot Taco Chips or Monster energy drinks. This device will no doubt "helpfully" remind them of the existence of useless foods.

I'm a supermarket designer's worst nightmare. I only shop the perimeter.

One of our assistants (people who drive us to court so we don't have to pay for parking, among other tasks) uses one, and used it to drive the two miles from downtown to the office, a direct path she's made a hundred times before she got a GPS.

One of my biggest strengths, one that I inherited from my dad, is a sense of geographical direction. I never get lost. I've been to cities I've never been to before and have found my way around with no problem. I might look at a map now and then to get street names, but I only have to look once, map out my path, and I can get there.

When I went to sixth grade camp, we had to negotiate the woods and find all these different points using a compass. I can't use one, they throw me off. I found all the spots without using it ( I just walked in the direction called for, and found what I was looking for), and the group I was with was amazed and pissed, because they didn't learn to use the compass.

I think my cell phone has one, but I don't use it. It kind of makes me a little paranoid, like that AT&T can track my every move via satellite.

I doubt if you're not sharp enough to navigate a grocery store you're going to be able to use or read a GPS.
    2009 CU Pro Football Pick'em Champ