1. #1 NPR Axes All Christian Programming May 1st. 
    NPR axes Christian radio programs

Pete Chagnon - OneNewsNow - 4/30/2009 8:30:00 AM

A shocking decision has been handed down by the National Public Radio board.

In 1985, National Public Radio (NPR) adopted a policy stating that member stations had to provide "nonsectarian, non-political, noncommercial" educational programming. But in February 2009, the wording was changed to say: "NPR Member Stations shall provide ONLY [emphasis added] nonsectarian, non-political, noncommercial educational content on all broadcast channel(s) and related media distribution platforms such as member partners that use the NPR member brands."

The rule, which takes effect May 1, means that any NPR stations carrying religious programming must cease and desist that programming as of that date. In explaining its decision in a similar matter, PBS -- another federally funded media outlet -- says it "places a high value on presenting diverse perspectives, as opposed to rigidly adhering to any single political or religious point of view." Allowing such programming, it continues, "would cause the public's trust in PBS to erode, along with the value of the brand."

David McNabb is the host of "Christian Corner" on KJZA (in Williams, Arizona), which is a partner station with KJZZ in Phoenix. His and several other religious programs featured on the NPR member station will be axed effective tomorrow.

"The change is labeling any Christian content as sectarian and, therefore, not to be used on NPR," he explains. "As part of their mission statement, one of the things that they are not is they are not sectarian. But up until now they haven't defined sectarian as having religious content...and so that's the change."

McNabb's program had a half-hour weekend slot and was bringing in $300 per month in revenue. The other religious programming was bringing in revenue as well and actually out-performing other weekend "nonsectarian programming."

The change in NPR policy affects all NPR affiliates in the United States.
    OneNewsNow

Once again, Christian is bad everything else is fine.

Power CUer
    I had no idea they did any Christian programming in the first place.
    "Today, [the American voter] chooses his rulers as he buys bootleg whiskey, never knowing precisely what he is getting, only certain that it is not what it pretends to be." - H.L. Mencken

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by linda22003 View Post
    I had no idea they did any Christian programming in the first place.
    Neither did I. In the 80s, when I lived and worked in DC, and again after 2001 when I was in DC, I listened to NPR pretty often and never heard any specifically religious programming.

Power CUer
    WAMU has done a show called "Stained Glass Bluegrass" on Sunday mornings, but they moved all of their bluegrass stuff to HD some time ago.
    "Today, [the American voter] chooses his rulers as he buys bootleg whiskey, never knowing precisely what he is getting, only certain that it is not what it pretends to be." - H.L. Mencken

I don't listen to NPR because I have a 6 disc cd player in my car. Even when the radio was my only option, I prefer to listen to music when I'm driving, not voices. Our NPR station is through Wayne State U, and the only time I listened to it was when they were playing classical music or world music.