Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Number of abortions rising in Middle East, 
    experts say.

Changing social values and economic realities, along with demographic shifts, are among the reasons, observers in the Arab world say.

By Borzou Daragahi, Los Angeles Times Staff Writer

June 29, 2008
    BEIRUT -- Unmarried and pregnant, Ranya gathered up her courage and confided to a friend that she was considering a drastic step: an illegal abortion.

She braced for criticism. But to her surprise, her friend disclosed that she had had one too.

Ranya asked another friend, who also said she'd had an abortion. And another gave her the phone number of a doctor in Beirut who would perform the procedure on the sly. The doctor used no anesthetic. The pain lingered for days, but the guilt engulfed her weeks later.

"It doesn't make me feel guilty because of Islam," said Ranya, 29, a short, brown-haired artist, struggling with her words. "It's a very complicated guilt to explain. I tend to philosophize things. I feel guilty in a weird way. It crosses my mind all the time."

Despite legal and religious restrictions against abortion in much of the Arab world, changing social values and economic realities as well as demographic shifts have contributed to an apparent increase in the number of the procedures in the Middle East.

http://www.latimes.com/news/nationwo...,2600933.story
    At Coretta Scott King's funeral in early 2006, Ethel Kennedy, the widow of Robert Kennedy, leaned over to him and whispered, "The torch is being passed to you." "A chill went up my spine," Obama told an aide. (Newsweek)

Power CUer
    Sounds pretty risky, but being unmarried and pregnant there can get you killed.

Another problem Muslims have is that adoption as we know it is not allowed. Even if these women wanted to give up their children and could do so without fear, there is simply no real adoption in the Muslim world. Orphans sometimes acquire guardians and live with families but they are never considered the same as biological children. :(

That’s okay - as we’ve shown, Western culture has a solution to most every problem.
    At Coretta Scott King's funeral in early 2006, Ethel Kennedy, the widow of Robert Kennedy, leaned over to him and whispered, "The torch is being passed to you." "A chill went up my spine," Obama told an aide. (Newsweek)

The big Cheese
    Quote Originally Posted by LogansPapa View Post
    That’s okay - as we’ve shown, Western culture has a solution to most every problem.
    Abortion is not a solution, its murder.
    One does not greet death when he knocks at your door.

Nay you repeatedly punch him in the throat as he slowly drags you away.

Vepr
    Quote Originally Posted by Zafod View Post
    Abortion is not a solution, its murder.
    Well murder is a solution technically. But if you support abortion in cases where the mothers life is in danger then what these Arab women did was life saving because like Linda mentioned they run the very real risk of getting killed by their own families.

Murder’s always been the West’s solution - like a laser guided 500 pounder on an intersection of gathered terrorists from an F-16 drop three miles away, and I’m all for it. Get’er Done.

Quote Originally Posted by linda22003 View Post
    Sounds pretty risky, but being unmarried and pregnant there can get you killed.
    Both the mother and the baby will be killed.

In Iran, the woman has to declare who the father is. The authorities try to force a marriage to occur. If that doesn't happen, the woman and the child are dead. The man may or may not be prosecuted but usually isn't killed. At least, that's how I think my wife told me it went down.

The family may take it upon themselves to remedy the situation. I've heard of the brothers beating the woman until she miscarries.

Quote Originally Posted by Gingersnap View Post
    Another problem Muslims have is that adoption as we know it is not allowed. Even if these women wanted to give up their children and could do so without fear, there is simply no real adoption in the Muslim world. Orphans sometimes acquire guardians and live with families but they are never considered the same as biological children. :(
    The closest equivalent is placement of orphans with relatives. The do tend to go to great lengths to find family that will take custody of the orphan. When it occurs within the family like this, the child is more likely to be treated the same as the biological children.

Patent Member
    Where are the liberals? Shouldn't they be throughout Tehran demanding that Iran grant this basic right to women?

Where are the signs crying "Achmahitler" because of his position on not giving money to abortion clinics?