Thread: The 97%'ers

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 61
  1. #11  
    Senior Betwixt Member Bubba Dawg's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    In my own private Alamo on The Mountain in Georgia
    Posts
    13,581
    Does anyone remember the Widow's Mite?

    The poor widow gave out of her poverty, i.e., when it hurt..... while the wealthy pharisee gave much more in its raw amount but it was out of his wealth and ease.

    And it was the Widow who actually gave more.

    If the highest 'producers' cease to value the contribution of those of lesser stature, then at some point, those 'mites' may cease to be given.

    Somehow I think that this would make a difference, even to the wealthy and powerful.
    Hey careful man! There's a beverage here!
    Reply With Quote  
     

  2. #12  
    PORCUS MAXIMUS Rockntractor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    oklahoma
    Posts
    42,276
    Quote Originally Posted by Bubba Dawg View Post
    Does anyone remember the Widow's Mite?

    The poor widow gave out of her poverty, i.e., when it hurt..... while the wealthy pharisee gave much more in its raw amount but it was out of his wealth and ease.

    And it was the Widow who actually gave more.

    If the highest 'producers' cease to value the contribution of those of lesser stature, then at some point, those 'mites' may cease to be given.

    Somehow I think that this would make a difference, even to the wealthy and powerful.
    You are very wise for a young guy.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  3. #13  
    Senior Member Constitutionally Speaking's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    4,301
    Quote Originally Posted by Water Closet View Post
    marinejcksn,

    You're missing my point a bit. First, the statistic I was referring to was, in 2006, the top 5% (threshold only $153k) paid 60% of federal taxes (see here). This, or a similar statistic, is often recited by outraged conservatives who make $50k a year. My point is that to whine so loudly, shouldn't you have some real skin in the game?

    This is not constitutional but I have often thought that if you are not paying any income tax, you should not be able to vote on issues or for people that will raise the taxes of other people. There HAS to be a way of preventing people with nothing to lose and everything to gain from saddling those with little to gain and everything to lose with higher taxes.

    As to your earlier point, as long as you are working and supporting yourself, you are not mooching.
    I long for the days when our President actually liked our country.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  4. #14  
    Senior Betwixt Member Bubba Dawg's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    In my own private Alamo on The Mountain in Georgia
    Posts
    13,581
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockntractor View Post
    You are very wise for a young guy.
    Thanks. But when I was born, D. Eisenhower was president. :D

    But I feel young at heart. :)
    Hey careful man! There's a beverage here!
    Reply With Quote  
     

  5. #15  
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Pleasant Valley
    Posts
    639
    Quote Originally Posted by Constitutionally Speaking View Post
    This is not constitutional but I have often thought that if you are not paying any income tax, you should not be able to vote on issues or for people that will raise the taxes of other people. There HAS to be a way of preventing people with nothing to lose and everything to gain from saddling those with little to gain and everything to lose with higher taxes.

    As to your earlier point, as long as you are working and supporting yourself, you are not mooching.
    Perhaps, but if you (generic) pay $5k in federal taxes and some proportional amount in sales tax, while I (generic) pay $80k in federal taxes and some proporational amount in sales taxes, don't I have just as much right to regard you (generic) as a moocher as you (generic) regard that person that pays nothing in federal taxes as a moocher?
    Reply With Quote  
     

  6. #16  
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Pleasant Valley
    Posts
    639
    Quote Originally Posted by Bubba Dawg View Post
    Thanks. But when I was born, D. Eisenhower was president. :D

    But I feel young at heart. :)
    Hey! When I was born, Harry S. Truman was president!!! And I still feel young somewhere down there around my heart, perhaps a little lower...:D
    Reply With Quote  
     

  7. #17  
    PORCUS MAXIMUS Rockntractor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    oklahoma
    Posts
    42,276
    Quote Originally Posted by Bubba Dawg View Post
    Thanks. But when I was born, D. Eisenhower was president. :D

    But I feel young at heart. :)
    So was I.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  8. #18  
    Senior Betwixt Member Bubba Dawg's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    In my own private Alamo on The Mountain in Georgia
    Posts
    13,581
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockntractor View Post
    So was I.
    Ah, then you and I and WC are all a part of the youth movement! :D

    Teach...your parents well.......
    Hey careful man! There's a beverage here!
    Reply With Quote  
     

  9. #19  
    HR Corporate Scum patriot45's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Plant City, Florida
    Posts
    10,915
    Quote Originally Posted by Constitutionally Speaking View Post
    This is not constitutional but I have often thought that if you are not paying any income tax, you should not be able to vote on issues or for people that will raise the taxes of other people. There HAS to be a way of preventing people with nothing to lose and everything to gain from saddling those with little to gain and everything to lose with higher taxes.

    As to your earlier point, as long as you are working and supporting yourself, you are not mooching.
    Thanks, that is a perfect point! The posts he is referring to I mentioned the tipping point, a very real thing.
    There has to be a better way of keeping the "moochers" from taking from the working class.

    Working class, not the elite, WCCW!

    As an aside, if you can't spell your name and need an acorn to do it for you, your vote shouldn't count.

    : “Grow your own dope. Plant a liberal.”
    ” Obummercare, 20 percent of the time it works everytime.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  10. #20  
    PORCUS MAXIMUS Rockntractor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    oklahoma
    Posts
    42,276
    Quote Originally Posted by Water Closet View Post
    Hey! When I was born, Harry S. Truman was president!!! And I still feel young somewhere down there around my heart, perhaps a little lower...:D
    Truman was one Democrat president I kind of liked.
    Reply With Quote  
     

Bookmarks
Bookmarks
Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •