1. #1 " Uproar in D.C.Enraged Black Ministers Stormed D.C. City Council " 
    An Adversary of Linda #'s
    Uproar in D.C. as Same-Sex Marriage Gains

The D.C. Council overwhelmingly approved a bill yesterday to recognize same-sex marriages performed elsewhere, in a vote that followed a sharp exchange between an openly gay member and a civil rights champion and set off shouts of reproach from local ministers. The council passed the measure by a vote of 12 to 1. During the debate, council member David A. Catania (I-At Large) accused Marion Barry (D-Ward 8), who cast the dissenting vote, of having taken a "bigoted" position.

After the vote, enraged African American ministers stormed the hallway outside the council chambers and vowed that they will work to oust the members who supported the bill, which was sponsored by Phil Mendelson (D-At Large). They caused such an uproar that security officers and D.C. police were called in to clear the hallway.

Yesterday's action could be a precursor to a debate later this year over whether to legalize same-sex marriage in the city. "There is no turning back," said Catania, who plans to introduce a broader gay marriage bill in a few months.

Barry, who said he supports gay rights and civil unions, warned after the vote that the District could erupt if the council does not proceed slowly on same-sex marriage.

"All hell is going to break lose," Barry said. "We may have a civil war. The black community is just adamant against this."

Mayor Adrian M. Fenty (D) has said he will sign the bill recognizing same-sex marriages performed elsewhere. The council's action puts the matter before Congress, which under the Home Rule Charter has 30 days to review District legislation. The bill could present the House and Senate with their biggest test on the same-sex marriage issue since Congress approved the Defense of Marriage Act in 1996.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...l?hpid=topnews
    Last edited by megimoo; 05-06-2009 at 10:27 AM.

An Adversary of Linda #'s
    Bio :David Catania

David Catania,..............."There's No Turning Back

David Catania, November 2007David A. Catania (born January 16, 1968) is a politician from Washington, D.C. He is currently a member of the Council of the District of Columbia, where he serves as an independent, elected at-large (i.e., not from any specific ward or district of the city).

Biography
    Originally from Kansas City, Missouri, Catania is a graduate of Georgetown University's School of Foreign Service and Georgetown University Law Center. He was elected to the Council as a Republican in a 1997 special election and was elected to full terms in 1998, 2002 and 2006.

Catania was the first openly gay member of the D.C. Council and one of a small number of openly gay Republican office-holders. This led to a conflict within his party when President George W. Bush spoke in favor of an amendment to the United States Constitution to ban same-sex marriage.

Catania opposed the amendment and became a vocal opponent of Bush's 2004 reelection. In response, the District of Columbia Republican Committee de-certified him as a delegate to the 2004 Republican National Convention.

In late September 2004, Catania left the party and became an independent, citing his displeasure with its direction on urban and social issues. He was re-elected in 2006 as an independent.

He currently is the chairperson of the Council's Committee on Health and is a member of the Committee on Government Operations and the Environment, the Committee on Libraries, Parks and Recreation, and the Committee on Finance and Revenue.
    Last edited by megimoo; 05-06-2009 at 10:30 AM.

Another cog in the wheels that are pulling this country in two.

I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else.
    C. S. Lewis

The Dems have been able to foister a lot of crap on the black community in order to keep them on the plantation. But I don't think gay marriage will be one they will accept. Did the DC Council bother to look too see who the big supporters of Prop 8 were? Obviously not. One can see how 'The bitch set me up' Barry has survived this long.
    Better to die on your feet than live on your knees.

When the proposal to ban gay marriage was on the Michigan ballot (in 2004), it was passed in Detroit as overwhelmingly as in Kent or Ottawa counties.

I know a lot of black people who are liberal on most issues, except that one. It is not easy to be black and gay.

Quote Originally Posted by AlmostThere View Post
    One can see how 'The bitch set me up' Barry has survived this long.
    I was just going to say, Marion Barry is still serving in public office? This douche nozzle got caught smoking crack by the FBI, hit for tax evasion and pulled over driving blotto in 2006 and he's still a public servant in D.C.? Isn't there a rock somewhere that needs sparked up?
    "Don't vote. It only encourages the bastards." -PJ O'Roarke

I think conservatives should just step back and let the two groups battle it out. It will be interesting to see what zerO does.

Quote Originally Posted by marinejcksn View Post
    I was just going to say, Marion Barry is still serving in public office? This douche nozzle got caught smoking crack by the FBI, hit for tax evasion and pulled over driving blotto in 2006 and he's still a public servant in D.C.? Isn't there a rock somewhere that needs sparked up?
    He was voted onto the D.C. Council practically on his way home from jail. Didn't miss a beat.

When the hell is the black community going to wake up? The voucher system that cost less than the horrible public school system, while working 1000 times better, is scrapped. This is nothing but a "we don't give a damn about your kids, we know who butters our bread", an over the top, in your face, screw you, stay in your place maneuver. A few hundred angry parents march and scream and the kids will still get screwed.

The black community is vehemently against gay marriage and the D.C. Council passes it as if the black community's values don't mean a damn thing.

Come election day, it won't matter a damn bit, they'll all get voted back in. Until the black community decides they want REAL change, the Liberals will be more than happy to keep them right there in the ghettos.