Thread: What If Pregnancy Came With a Pink Slip?

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Power CUer
    Quote Originally Posted by stsinner View Post
    We have people who choose to be childless, and they ever wage campaigns attacking families and saying that they're no more important than the childless people, and I simply disagree.
    The decline of morals that match mine and the secular shift in this country has given rise to all sorts of sick attitudes.
    I'm voluntarily childless, and no, you are not "more important" than I am, whatever that means. I've edited your second statement slightly to make your meaning more clear. :p
    "Today, [the American voter] chooses his rulers as he buys bootleg whiskey, never knowing precisely what he is getting, only certain that it is not what it pretends to be." - H.L. Mencken

Resident Unliked Meanie Shannon's Avatar
    No? Do you have any idea what it does to a kid's self-esteem when their parents don't go to their games? If a child's games aren't important to a parent, then they have some very, very messed up priorities.
    I think I messed my kid up more by going to his games. I didn't exactly congratulate him when he lost.:p
    Loyalty Binds Me- Motto of Richard III

No? Do you have any idea what it does to a kid's self-esteem when their parents don't go to their games? If a child's games aren't important to a parent, then they have some very, very messed up priorities.
    Uh, yeah, I do. I competed in high school sports (swimming) and I competed in music and speech from the 6th grade through college.

My folks only turned up for state or regional events and I was fine with it - as were the majority of my friends. We were there for ourselves.

Power CUer
    Quote Originally Posted by Gingersnap View Post
    Uh, yeah, I do. I competed in high school sports (swimming) and I competed in music and speech from the 6th grade through college.

My folks only turned up for state or regional events and I was fine with it - as were the majority of my friends. We were there for ourselves.
    Remember, "The decline of morals and the secular shift in this country has given rise to all sorts of sick attitudes." This is likely one of them. :p
    "Today, [the American voter] chooses his rulers as he buys bootleg whiskey, never knowing precisely what he is getting, only certain that it is not what it pretends to be." - H.L. Mencken

Quote Originally Posted by linda22003 View Post
    I'm voluntarily childless, and no, you are not "more important" than I am, whatever that means. I've edited your second statement slightly to make your meaning more clear. :p
    You can stop editing my posts ... I say exactly what I mean and very succinctly. I'm am the foremost authority on my opinion, so don't edit my posts trying to be clever.

You have my condolences that you're so selfish, but society is pretty accepting of people like you these days. It's probably best that you didn't put your views on children, anyway, so childless is a wise choice.
    Obama-if you're being run out of town, get out in front and pretend that it's a parade!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Shannon View Post
    I think I messed my kid up more by going to his games. I didn't exactly congratulate him when he lost.:p
    Yeah, me, either, especially if I didn't see a good effort.. They have their good days and their bad days, that's for sure.
    Obama-if you're being run out of town, get out in front and pretend that it's a parade!!!

I guess I'm voluntarily childless, mainly because I'm not married and I would never bring a child of my own into the world without being married to the father. I never thought that that attitude indicated a decline of morals, I always thought I was holding to a higher moral standard.

I'm not bitter toward families, I just get sick of having to cover for the mom coworkers constantly. I have one coworker who will even bring her child in if she can't find day care, and expect one of us to watch the kid while she does her work.

My mom worked when I was a kid, part time, as a nurse. My dad made good enough money that she didn't have to, and they fought about it a lot. She used to tell him "I didn't go to nursing school so that I could stay at home while the kids are in school all day.". I could see her point. Her mistake was in not hiring a babysitter to watch us, and letting us be at home alone all day when my older brother was 10. She wasn't wrong to get a job, which she was educated to do and which she enjoyed.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Gingersnap View Post
    I think that more and more people are looking at all these 'special cases' and deciding that they aren't so special after all. With less focus on family and less community cohesiveness, who's to say that my time spent fishing or throwing a ball for the Collie is worth less than your time spent watching a Little League game?
    My cat's more "important" than your collie and just oozes self-esteem even though I rarely take time to watch him wash himself! :D

Moreover, his morals, while secular, do not seem to have declined much and, as to being "sick" he throws up hairballs only rarely.

Power CUer
    You have my condolences that you're so selfish, but society is pretty accepting of people like you these days. It's probably best that you didn't put your views on children, anyway, so childless is a wise choice.
    Why do people insist on feeling superior just because they pushed out a baby?? Some people like to think that if you didn't fulfill the biological destiny THEY ascribe to you, you have failed in some way. Why is it selfish not to have children? That's a serious question.

Power CUer
    Quote Originally Posted by Water Closet View Post
    Moreover, his morals, while secular, do not seem to have declined much
    Wasn't some of his moral "focus" left at the veterinarian's? ;)