Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Free Cars if on Welfare 
    http://news.bostonherald.com/news/re...&position=also

Gov. Deval Patrickís free wheels for welfare recipients program is revving up despite the stalled economy, as the keys to donated cars loaded with state-funded insurance, repairs and even AAA membership are handed out to get them to work.

But the program - fueled by a funding boost despite the stateís fiscal crash - allows those who end up back on welfare to keep the cars anyway.
    I don't know what to say. We're mad, simply mad. It's not swine flu. It's some sort of mass hysteria/insanity that sweeping across the country. Stay off of airplanes and subways.
    Better to die on your feet than live on your knees.

Quote Originally Posted by AlmostThere View Post
    http://news.bostonherald.com/news/re...&position=also

I don't know what to say. We're mad, simply mad. It's not swine flu. It's some sort of mass hysteria/insanity that sweeping across the country. Stay off of airplanes and subways.
    You said it-MASS hysteria.. Only in my retarded state-the first to honor the fag marriage.
    Obama-if you're being run out of town, get out in front and pretend that it's a parade!!!

Banned
    If the government gives the title to these moochers, a good many of the cars will wind up in a pawn shop. I did not know till recently that you could hock a car.

Giving a car to a welfare recipinent is just insane. Giving a home mortgage to someone with no income did not work out too well.

Banned
    On the surface, it does look pretty bad. But the story makes some points that raise some question for me:

The state pays for the carís insurance, inspection, excise tax, title, registration, repairs and a AAA membership for one year at a total cost of roughly $6,000 per car.

The program, which started in 2006, distributes cars donated by non-profit charities such as Good News Garage, a Lutheran charity, which also does the repair work on the car and bills the state.

Kehoe defended the program, saying the state breaks even by cutting welfare payments to the family - about $6,000 a year.

ďIf you look at the overall picture, this helps make sure people arenít staying on cash assistance. Itís a relatively short payment for a long-term benefit,Ē Kehoe said.

But Kehoe admitted about 20 percent of those who received a car ended up back on welfare, and while they lose the insurance and other benefits, they donít have to return the car.
    So this helps 80% of the car recipients get off welfare.? The State is giving them cars which were donated by a non-profit organization. I definitely have a problem with the 20% keeping the cars. But, the point I'm trying to make is that before I formed an opinion on this particular program, I would ask certain questions:

Is the 20%/80% above or below the national average for this type of government assistance program?

The $6000 figure--isn't the state essentially waiving its own DMV fees? The only really cost here are the administrative costs + AAA membership. (an economist would probably say I'm wrong)

Finally, what is the average cost to incarcerate a low-level non-violent felony offender? Isn't this program cheaper than doing nothing to help people get back on their feet?

I don't see this as being liberal--when I'm coming from a position of asking:"What's it going to cost me in the long run to do nothing?" I see this as being pragmatic. Again, I'm not saying this particular program is good or bad--I would just want more info before making up my mind.

One more thing--if this program were started by Republicans, how would it be seen by the right-leaning media?

Quote Originally Posted by hazlnut View Post

Finally, what is the average cost to incarcerate a low-level non-violent felony offender? Isn't this program cheaper than doing nothing to help people get back on their feet?
    Did you just equate welfare recepients with criminals?
    I feel that once a black fella has referred to white foks as "honky paleface devil white-trash cracker redneck Caspers," he's abdicated the right to get upset about the "N" word. But that's just me. -- Jim Goad

When very conservative republican governor John Engler first instituted welfare reform in Michigan, the state was giving recipients who participated in the Work First program $600 toward the repair or purchase of a car, so they could get to work. Public transportation in all parts of Michigan is mostly a joke.

Quote Originally Posted by Rebel Yell View Post
    Did you just equate welfare recepients with criminals?
    I think he was saying that it may help in keeping them from becoming criminals.

I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else.
    C. S. Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by FlaGator View Post
    I think he was saying that it may help in keeping them from becoming criminals.
    So people on welfare will eventually become criminals if we don't find them a job and a way to get there? Sounds odd coming from Hazl. I thought he would say these are all good people who are just down on their luck.
    I feel that once a black fella has referred to white foks as "honky paleface devil white-trash cracker redneck Caspers," he's abdicated the right to get upset about the "N" word. But that's just me. -- Jim Goad

Banned
    I am all for helping people down on their luck. However, you appreciate and take care of a car if you do some work to earn it. How about, requiring these welfare recipents to pick up trash on the highway or work on some other public works project until they find a job. In the event they find a job, pay for their own insurance. Don't think that is too much to ask.

Quote Originally Posted by Rebel Yell View Post
    So people on welfare will eventually become criminals if we don't find them a job and a way to get there? Sounds odd coming from Hazl. I thought he would say these are all good people who are just down on their luck.

I don't think that was the implication either. Now I am speaking from my point of view not hazlnut's but anyone who is down and out enough has the potential to become a petty or small time criminal whether they are on welfare or not. The cost of a used car and insurance is cheaper than incarcerating someone and possibily a good investment if the receipent doesn't use the car from criminal activities.

I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else.
    C. S. Lewis