Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by lacarnut View Post
    I am all for helping people down on their luck. However, you appreciate and take care of a car if you do some work to earn it. How about, requiring these welfare recipents to pick up trash on the highway or work on some other public works project until they find a job. In the event they find a job, pay for their own insurance. Don't think that is too much to ask.
    I can get behind that too!

I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else.
    C. S. Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by hazlnut View Post
    On the surface, it does look pretty bad. But the story makes some points that raise some question for me:

So this helps 80% of the car recipients get off welfare.? The State is giving them cars which were donated by a non-profit organization. I definitely have a problem with the 20% keeping the cars. But, the point I'm trying to make is that before I formed an opinion on this particular program, I would ask certain questions:

Is the 20%/80% above or below the national average for this type of government assistance program?

The $6000 figure--isn't the state essentially waiving its own DMV fees? The only really cost here are the administrative costs + AAA membership. (an economist would probably say I'm wrong)

Finally, what is the average cost to incarcerate a low-level non-violent felony offender? Isn't this program cheaper than doing nothing to help people get back on their feet?

I don't see this as being liberal--when I'm coming from a position of asking:"What's it going to cost me in the long run to do nothing?" I see this as being pragmatic. Again, I'm not saying this particular program is good or bad--I would just want more info before making up my mind.

One more thing--if this program were started by Republicans, how would it be seen by the right-leaning media?
    True story.
    Way back in another lifetime I lived on Harriman Lane in Redondo Beach, CA. I had a buddy you lived near by who worked at the same office as me. Our office was in Carson, CA, right off the 405. For you geographically challenged, that's a pretty good haul.

The whole time he and I worked in that office, he rode a 10 speed to work. Granted, weather is great 9-10 months out of the year. But those couple of months where it was kind of cold and raining, he was still out there riding.

I remember having a job once, WAY BACK, where I didn't have a car. It wasn't that it was broken down. I didn't have one. I would get up really early and hitchhike the 8 miles to work and then thumb home at night. Granted, this was in a time when people still picked up hitchhikers, but I found a way to get to work. I didn't sit at home and wait for the state to furnish me a ride. These programs are enslaving poor people to the state, not helping them.
    Better to die on your feet than live on your knees.

Quote Originally Posted by FlaGator View Post
    I can get behind that too!
    I'm all for that, without the car. Hell, earn the check first, then we'll discuss a car.
    I feel that once a black fella has referred to white foks as "honky paleface devil white-trash cracker redneck Caspers," he's abdicated the right to get upset about the "N" word. But that's just me. -- Jim Goad

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Rebel Yell View Post
    Did you just equate welfare recepients with criminals?
    No, the opposite--read carefully.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by AlmostThere View Post
    True story.
    Way back in another lifetime I lived on Harriman Lane in Redondo Beach, CA. I had a buddy you lived near by who worked at the same office as me. Our office was in Carson, CA, right off the 405. For you geographically challenged, that's a pretty good haul.

The whole time he and I worked in that office, he rode a 10 speed to work. Granted, weather is great 9-10 months out of the year. But those couple of months where it was kind of cold and raining, he was still out there riding.
    7-9 miles, pretty flat. South Bay area of L.A. is very densely populated, lots of opportunities.

I understand what you're saying, but is that realistically an option in Boston--maybe for part of the year?

BYW--I don't know when you were in L.A. last, but the weather is great 12 months out of the year. :D:D

75 degrees year-round. The only other place on earth has our climate is southern Italy.

Banned
    True story.

I remember having a job once, WAY BACK, where I didn't have a car. It wasn't that it was broken down. I didn't have one. I would get up really early and hitchhike the 8 miles to work and then thumb home at night. Granted, this was in a time when people still picked up hitchhikers, but I found a way to get to work. I didn't sit at home and wait for the state to furnish me a ride. These programs are enslaving poor people to the state, not helping them.
    Same deal here: my first job in the golf business was working at a golf course 10 or 15 miles from my house. I got up early, walked 2 miles to the Greyhound bus station because the city buses did not start running that early in the am. Got off the bus and walked another couple of miles to the golf course. Worked there for 6 months and then got a job close to home.

Moral to the story; if you want to work bad enough, you can find a way to go to work. I don't care if you are car-less and live in Boston or BFE. Where there is a will there is a way. I bet if there is a free rap concert with Snoop Dog and M&M 5 miles away, those welfare recipients can get there by hook or crook.

Quote Originally Posted by hazlnut View Post
    7-9 miles, pretty flat. South Bay area of L.A. is very densely populated, lots of opportunities.

I understand what you're saying, but is that realistically an option in Boston--maybe for part of the year?

BYW--I don't know when you were in L.A. last, but the weather is great 12 months out of the year. :D:D

75 degrees year-round. The only other place on earth has our climate is southern Italy.
    You're lying. :D Actually the weather is one of the things I hated most. Mon- Blue sky, Tue- Blue sky, Wed- Blue sky,Thurs- Blue sky, Friday- Blue sky, Sat- Blue sky, Sun- Blue sky, Mon..........

December, maybe January, probably not at late as February you get your cold drizzle.

I grew up in New Orleans where it rains everyday at 2PM. I moved to South Bay the end of June 1980. It hadn't rained in a few days at that point. It didn't rain for 188 days. I almost went insane from the climate shock. L.A. had some horrible smog during this time. I got my house in Redondo in 82 I think. I never saw a stretch like that 188 in 1980 but the Beach Boys are right. I left around the end of 83/start of 84. Just wasn't for me.
    Last edited by AlmostThere; 05-08-2009 at 11:59 PM.
    Better to die on your feet than live on your knees.

True story.

There's a developmentally delayed guy who works as a bagger at one of the high-end grocery stores in Royal Oak. He rides his bike to work every day, about 3 or 4 miles.