Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. #1 Texas To Mull 2 Year Wait For Divorce. 
    Lawmaker wants to make couples wait 2 years for divorce

Chisum has already successfully passed another marriage-related bill through Legislature.
    By Corrie MacLaggan

AMERICAN-STATESMAN STAFF

Wednesday, July 02, 2008

Texans would have to wait two years to get a divorce — unless they take a class designed to save their marriage — under a proposal a key state lawmaker says he plans to revive.

State Rep. Warren Chisum, R-Pampa, chairman of the House Appropriations Committee, sought to get a similar measure passed in 2007. He said he's planning to bring it back as one of his priorities for the legislative session that begins in January.

"The deal is, we need to take marriage more seriously," said Chisum, who in October will celebrate his 51st wedding anniversary.

It now takes at least 60 days to finalize a divorce in Texas. Across the country, waiting periods range from 30 days in Alabama to up to two years in Maryland, if one spouse contests the divorce, according to Mike McManus, president of Marriage Savers, a group that works with communities to start marriage education programs.

The Texas proposal died last year in a House committee, but the Legislature passed another marriage-related proposal by Chisum.

House Bill 2685, which goes into effect Sept. 1, doubles the $30 marriage license fee to $60 — but couples can bypass the fee by taking an eight-hour premarital class.
    I'm all for marriage being harder to get into and harder to get out of. It's a serious thing. Two thirds of divorces are initiated by women who essentially blindside their spouses out of boredom.

Marriage Parole

Festivus Moderator ralph wiggum's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Gingersnap View Post
    I'm all for marriage being harder to get into and harder to get out of. It's a serious thing. Two thirds of divorces are initiated by women who essentially blindside their spouses out of boredom.

Marriage Parole
    I have very mixed feelings about this. The former Mrs. Wiggum & I went through counseling for over two years before we called it quits. Shouldn't that count as "working hard" to get out of?

Resident Unliked Meanie Shannon's Avatar
    Unless they take a class. That's what it's really all about.
    Loyalty Binds Me- Motto of Richard III

Quote Originally Posted by ralph wiggum View Post
    I have very mixed feelings about this. The former Mrs. Wiggum & I went through counseling for over two years before we called it quits. Shouldn't that count as "working hard" to get out of?
    Yes, it should. I would think that if a couple can demonstrate a couple of years of marriage counseling, then the divorce should be granted without an additional wait.

I've just known too many women who "suddenly" "grew in a different direction" from their husbands of 10+ years. At the same time, I think that if you can document that your spouse is sleeping around, you should get a divorce as soon as you want and they should have a judgment against them. It cuts both ways.

An Adversary of Linda #'s
    Quote Originally Posted by Shannon View Post
    Unless they take a class. That's what it's really all about.
    Want a divorce,Show me the money !

That is similar to the system here. You can get a quick divorce if you can prove adultery or unreasonable behaviour on the part of your spouse, or you can get one by consent if you have been separated for 2 years or, if one party does not agree then you have to be separated for five years.

Quote Originally Posted by bijou View Post
    That is similar to the system here. You can get a quick divorce if you can prove adultery or unreasonable behaviour on the part of your spouse, or you can get one by consent if you have been separated for 2 years or, if one party does not agree then you have to be separated for five years.
    We went wholesale for "no fault" divorce many years ago. It's common here for a spouse to get served divorce papers without so much as by your leave. One spouse simply needs to cite irreconcilable differences and thing revs up and grind through the court.

Really, I'd like to see a more difficult marriage process. The way we are doing it now is too easy for the times. This is not an era in which a couple of crazy teens get married, live with the folks until they can buy a farm, and then become instant adults. We have a situation in which most agree that people don't become adult until 30 and they aren't reliably adult until 40. We need to build in some obstacles. It won't help the kids but it might help the adults.

Power CUer
    Hmmm, a longer wait for divorce, plus easy access to guns..... I don't know about this.

Banned
    I couldn't take it any longer
    Lord I was crazed
    And when the feeling came upon me
    Like a tidal wave
    I started swearing to my god and on my mother's grave
    That I would love you to the end of time
    I swore that I would love you to the end of time!

So now I'm praying for the end of time
    To hurry up and arrive
    Cause if I gotta spend another minute with you
    I don't think that I can really survive
    I'll never break my promise or forget my vow
    But God only knows what I can do right now
    I'm praying for the end of time
    It's all that I can do
    Praying for the end of time, so I can end my time with you!!!
    God save us from moralist lawmakers! :D

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Gingersnap View Post
    We went wholesale for "no fault" divorce many years ago. It's common here for a spouse to get served divorce papers without so much as by your leave. One spouse simply needs to cite irreconcilable differences and thing revs up and grind through the court.

Really, I'd like to see a more difficult marriage process. The way we are doing it now is too easy for the times. This is not an era in which a couple of crazy teens get married, live with the folks until they can buy a farm, and then become instant adults. We have a situation in which most agree that people don't become adult until 30 and they aren't reliably adult until 40. We need to build in some obstacles. It won't help the kids but it might help the adults.
    Damn! I'm a bit behind the curve here. :D