Thread: Rip Plasma Tv

1. #1 Rip Plasma Tv 
    RIP PLASMA TV - FLAT SCREEN FORMAT GOING WAY OF BETAMAX
    Posted: 1:10 am
    May 7, 2009

THE plasma TV isn't dead yet -- but it looks like it's not long for this world.

Like the Betamax videotape format and laser disc DVD before it, the plasma TV set -- the favorite of techies -- is losing out to the more popularly priced LCD TV.

Pioneer and VIZIO -- the nation's No. 2 set maker -- say they're abandoning the plasma business.

With a 22 percent sales drop in the first quarter of 2009 compared to last year -- when the sale of flat-screen TVs overall is sky rocketing -- "the writing is kind of on the wall" for plasma, says Wired.com senior editor Dylan Tweney.

"The market has really shifted dramatically towards LCDs in the last year or two," he says.

The success of LCDs can be attributed to the fact that they're available in a wide range of sizes.

Plasmas begin at 42 inches -- and don't come in the smaller sizes that fit New York apartments and kids' bedrooms.

And LCDs are generally a few hundred dollars cheaper than plasmas, because the technology behind them is less expensive.

"People are more price conscious since we've got a recession going on," Tweney says. "You might want a 50-inch TV, but you'll settle for 37 inches. And for that, a $600 LCD from Costco is going to be your best bet."

Right now, a big-screen plasma is actually a better deal than a similarly sized LCD. But that hasn't helped save it.

"If the trend continues, LCDs are going to continue to get cheaper and bigger and that's going to put pressure on plasmas until the market -- if it doesn't go away completely -- will only be relevant to videophiles and home theater enthusiasts," Tweney says.
    Interesting.

NY Post

I like mine, I have a Panasonic 42 plasma and a Vizio 42 plasma. I hope they are the last 2 tvs I buy for a long time!
    I paid thru the nose for them when they first came out!

: “Grow your own dope. Plant a liberal.”
    ” Obummercare, 20 percent of the time it works everytime.

I actually find the picture to be better on my LCD then the plasma TV's I've seen. Plus shipping Plasmas are a pain if you move because it's hazmat and some carriers charge a bunch to ship it.

HDTV is dead anyway. It's all about Super Hi-Vision Ultra HDTV now. You think 1080p is good? 4320p baby.:D
    Last edited by marinejcksn; 05-07-2009 at 01:54 PM.
    "Don't vote. It only encourages the bastards." -PJ O'Roarke

An Adversary of Linda #'s
    Quote Originally Posted by Gingersnap View Post
    Interesting.

NY Post
    Next on the list Sony Blue-Ray DVD format !

Quote Originally Posted by marinejcksn View Post
    I actually find the picture to be better on my LCD then the plasma TV's I've seen. Plus shipping Plasma's is a pain if you move because it's hazmat and some carriers charge a bunch to ship it.
    HAZ-MAT is a bunch of crap ripoff .They even denote permanent magnets as haz-mat and change more to ship them !It's the old story declare something as hazardous and fleece the public .

Quote Originally Posted by megimoo View Post
    Next on the list Sony Blue-Ray DVD format !
    How so? Blue-Ray shut HD DVD's down. Their the next thing up in the chain.

I'm saving up to get an LCD TV. I could get a plasma right now, but there's really no point.

Quote Originally Posted by djones520 View Post
    How so? Blue-Ray shut HD DVD's down. Their the next thing up in the chain.

I'm saving up to get an LCD TV. I could get a plasma right now, but there's really no point.
    Sony brought up their market share by private deals with the major movie studios on Blue _Ray
    by promising the big studios better embedded security and built in life time play limits .Blue-Ray players burn onto the DVDs as they play the drive play count and read the Root Kit scrambled Security Code .

Plasma TV Use a lot more power than LCD ,All of that heat in the small enclosure leads to an short life for the display electronics.Plasma TV will also fade and grow dimmer with time .There is a third type of flat screen that uses a sort pf projection concept .To me the best way to go to a larger TV display is a projection unit and a roll up movie screen.The projectors are small and expensive but the advantages are huge .The projector mounts on the ceiling and remoted to the electronics.With high quality optics they are bright and will cover an entire wall .

Rule number one: if you buy anything made by SONY it will fail in the short term .Rule two: Remember Sony Bata Max .Sony engineering is very poor,they take too many short cuts in design and their TV'S are designed right to the upper margins limits of device specifications.

Samsung rules!

9. #9 Rip Plasma Tv 
    We're looking for a new TV. Something in the 40-50" range.

Which is better? Flat Panel or Plasma?

Primary uses: TV regular and HD, movies. Probably no computer stuff. I don't watch much sports either.

Note: I edited to read LCD in title. Was a typo before

Quote Originally Posted by spikeville View Post
    We're looking for a new TV. Something in the 40-50" range.

Which is better? Flat Panel or Plasma?

Primary uses: TV regular and HD, movies. Probably no computer stuff. I don't watch much sports either.

Note: I edited to read LCD in title. Was a typo before
    Both LCD and Plasma are flat panel TVs! Plasma is a gas discharge display that uses high voltage and millions of discharge points in a flat glass panel.

The power dissipated by the display is rather high and generates lots of heat and the gas displays fade over time .Liquid Crystal Displays are built up from low voltage semiconductors ,A thin film transistor liquid crystal display (TFT-LCD) .