Thread: Former Red Sox Great Dom DiMaggio Dies at 92

Results 1 to 6 of 6
  1. #1 Former Red Sox Great Dom DiMaggio Dies at 92 
    Power CUer
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Northern Virginia
    Posts
    11,242
    http://www.wtop.com/?nid=126&sid=1671734

    I'm not a sports fan, but his daughter was a friend of mine in school, so I will send a condolence later today. Even if I weren't acquainted with the family, this name is so big in sports that I recognize it!
    "Today, [the American voter] chooses his rulers as he buys bootleg whiskey, never knowing precisely what he is getting, only certain that it is not what it pretends to be." - H.L. Mencken
    Reply With Quote  
     

  2. #2  
    Festivus Moderator ralph wiggum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Springfield, USA
    Posts
    16,453
    RIP, Dom.

    There's an interesting case that can be made for him for the Hall of Fame. I don't necessarily agree, but the arguments may heat up again now that he has passed.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  3. #3  
    Power CUer
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Northern Virginia
    Posts
    11,242
    I think he's one of the players whose career was interrupted by the war, and that lost them valuable time for Hall of Fame consideration, right?
    "Today, [the American voter] chooses his rulers as he buys bootleg whiskey, never knowing precisely what he is getting, only certain that it is not what it pretends to be." - H.L. Mencken
    Reply With Quote  
     

  4. #4  
    Festivus Moderator ralph wiggum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Springfield, USA
    Posts
    16,453
    Quote Originally Posted by linda22003 View Post
    I think he's one of the players whose career was interrupted by the war, and that lost them valuable time for Hall of Fame consideration, right?
    Yes, he was one of many who missed years in their prime due to WWII. Dom missed three peak years at the ages of 26-28. He is often regarded as being a far better fielder than either of his brothers.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  5. #5  
    Power CUer noonwitch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Warren, MI
    Posts
    11,861
    Quote Originally Posted by ralph wiggum View Post
    Yes, he was one of many who missed years in their prime due to WWII. Dom missed three peak years at the ages of 26-28. He is often regarded as being a far better fielder than either of his brothers.

    He wasn't the only guy in that situation. Maybe the Hall of Fame could come up with a way to honor all those who left their baseball career to serve their nation in WWII? Like a special, permanent exhibit?


    BTW, one of the girls I played softball with as a kid had a mother who played in the women's league of that era. Her mom was one of the people at the catholic church behind my house who pushed for a city recreational girl's softball league in our suburb, because the Little League organization was not offering one. The church started it, originally, and the city took it over in the long run.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  6. #6  
    Festivus Moderator ralph wiggum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Springfield, USA
    Posts
    16,453
    Quote Originally Posted by noonwitch View Post
    He wasn't the only guy in that situation. Maybe the Hall of Fame could come up with a way to honor all those who left their baseball career to serve their nation in WWII? Like a special, permanent exhibit?
    There is one:

    http://exhibits.baseballhalloffame.o...ists/index.htm
    Reply With Quote  
     

Bookmarks
Bookmarks
Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •