1. #1 Liberty's Crown May Reopen by July 4th 
    An Adversary of Linda #'s
    Interior Secretary: Statue Of Liberty ‘Is About Pres. Obama’s Agenda’
    video at link .

It really is all about Obama, isn’t it? The president’s Interior Secretary went on Today this morning and proclaimed that the Statue Of Liberty is “is about Pres. Obama’s agenda.”

Ken Salazar was there to announce that, after having been closed subsequent to 9-11, the crown of the statue would be re-opened on July 4th. The entire Today crew is broadcasting from the statue this morning.

snip

KEN SALAZAR: It’s good to be here.

LAUER: This location, for the most part, has been closed to the public ever since the attacks of 9-11, and you have a special announcement to make today. Why don’t you make it?

SALAZAR: I do Matt. This Statue of Liberty really is about hope and optimism for America. It’s also about jobs that come with tourism all over this country. And it’s about President Obama’s agenda.

And so today we’re announcing that on the 4th of July, we will open up the crown of the Statue of Liberty, here in New York and New Jersey, to the entire people in America in a way that we’ll be able to manage the crowds to come into this space.

I would have thought that presidents are meant to mold their agenda to reflect the meaning and inspiration of our founding documents and symbols of freedom. But no, it’s apparently the other way around. Those symbols are really about Pres. Obama.

Behold His works!
    http://finkelblog.com/index.php/2009...obamas-agenda/

I was in NYC in 1990, and we could only go up to the base of the Statue, because of the restoration that was being done at the time. I'm not sure I would have been able to make the climb, even in my mid twenties.

Either my mom or dad claimed to have climbed all the way to the torch when they visited NY. It might have been my dad, when he was in the army in the 50s. I think he and his buddies went on a trip there either before or after shipping out to Korea.

Banned
    I climbed to the top with my son in June of 2001. He was 7 at the time. The line winding all the way to the crown took us about 1 hour. It took about 5 minutes to go down. I just looked over the digital photos from that trip and the only ones I have are on the winding stairs near the top--and on the boat and the base of the statue with the WTC in the bg. I'm pretty sure I took a photo of the view from the top, I'll have to check around for it.

When we got back to Manhattan, we discussed going to the top of the World Train Center. I had never been. It was late in the day; we were both tired and decided to head back my friend's apartment and see the World Trade Center on another trip.

My daughter and I will be in NYC this July. I understand how it works now, but haven't filled out the security forms yet. My understanding is they currently allow 15,000 people/day onto Liberty Island and 3000 with advanced clearance to go inside the museum and base of the statue.

4. #4 June 2001 
    Banned
    Statue of Liberty Crown, June 2001

Banned
    From the Boat, June 2001

From the pedestal, looking toward Ellis Island.

If you would like to see the inside of the crown, PM me.:)