Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast
  1. #1 Texas town stops black motorists, seizes assets 
    Banned
    This is incredible. The f**king War on Drugs has done more to destroy civil liberties in this country than any foreign tyrant could possibly achieve.

Texas town stops black motorists, seizes assets
    Police have stripped motorists, many of them black, of their property without charging them with a crime. Instead, out-of-towners were offered a grim choice: Sign over your belongings to the town or face felony charges of money laundering or other serious crimes.

By Howard Witt
    Chicago Tribune

How it works here

Washington state has an asset-forfeiture law that parallels the federal statute. Local law enforcement is allowed to seize drugs, cash, personal property and vehicles if proved in a civil proceeding to have been purchased with, or used in the sale or delivery of, illegal drugs. The state receives 10 percent of the value of the forfeited property, and the seizing agency keeps the rest. Criminal charges or a conviction are not necessary.
    Seattle Times staff
    TENAHA, Texas ó You can drive into Tenaha, a dusty fleck of a town near the Texas-Louisiana border, if you're African American. But you might not be able to drive out ó at least not with your car, cash, jewelry or other valuables.

That's because police have stripped motorists, many of them black, of their property without charging them with a crime. Instead, out-of-towners were offered a grim choice: Sign over your belongings to the town or face felony charges of money laundering or other serious crimes.

More than 140 people reluctantly accepted that deal from June 2006 to June 2008, according to court records. Among them were a black grandmother who surrendered $4,000 in cash after Tenaha police pulled her over, and an interracial couple who gave up $6,000 after police threatened to seize their children and put them into foster care, court documents show.

Neither the grandmother nor the couple was charged with or convicted of a crime.

More...

PORCUS STAPHUS ADMIN Rockntractor's Avatar
    It's not about drug legalisation with you . It's about making everything a racial issue. Here we have a Seatle liberal scumbag editorialist commenting on a texas town. Point the finger back at yourselves you are the racists.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockntractor View Post
    It's not about drug legalisation with you . It's about making everything a racial issue. Here we have a Seatle liberal scumbag editorialist commenting on a texas town. Point the finger back at yourselves you are the racists.
    Huh? First, this is a story simply reprinted in the Seattle paper with the embedded comment regarding Washington State laws. It's been all over the media (CNN, Chicago Tribune, elsewhere). I simply googled the story and picked the first occurence.

Second, if you knew anything about me, you would know that racial issues "ain't my bag," as it were. I am certainly more concerned with the rapidly shrinking personal liberties and the growing power of government (federal, state, local). Hence, my statement regarding the War on Drugs. States and the DEA are seizing property of accused drug dealers, including houses, boats, and other items, and selling these prior to any conviction. This is a real problem.

These people, on the other hand, are clearly mere theives, the sort you might find in villages in remote areas of Eastern Europe or western China -- local authorities, including the police, the DA, and the mayor, who are simply using their authority to rob travelers passing through.

Senior Betwixt Member Bubba Dawg's Avatar
    In my own private Alamo on The Mountain in Georgia
    Whatever the intent of the War on Drugs, in practice it often turns into a war on civil liberties.

It is not an infrequent occurrence that no-knock warrants are executed erroneously by police on the wrong address because of bad intellignece or even human error.

My inherent distrust of unfettered government also extends to unfettered police power. To me, any governmental power needs to be strongly monitored and reasonably limited.
    Hey careful man! There's a beverage here!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Bubba Dawg View Post
    Whatever the intent of the War on Drugs, in practice it often turns into a war on civil liberties.

It is not an infrequent occurrence that no-knock warrants are executed erroneously by police on the wrong address because of bad intellignece or even human error.

My inherent distrust of unfettered government also extends to unfettered police power. To me, any governmental power needs to be strongly monitored and reasonably limited.
    I completely agree. Further, if you pull out a gun and kill a policeman in such a situation, you will most likely be tried as a cop killer. There's a case right now in Maryland where that's happening.

Meh. They were probably guilty of something anyway.

I avoid driving through Harrington, DE because I know the cops write tickets if both of your hands aren't on the steering wheel.
    Be Not Afraid.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by JB View Post
    Meh. They were probably guilty of something anyway.

I avoid driving through Harrington, DE because I know the cops write tickets if both of your hands aren't on the steering wheel.
    I agree. Probably should have shot them; that way they couldn't have gone to the press. ;) :D

PORCUS STAPHUS ADMIN Rockntractor's Avatar
    We have a town in Oklahoma called Shamrock that gets most of it's revinue from people passing through. It's not a color issue though. I see red cars blue ones green pickups everone is asked at gunpoint to contribute.

Quote Originally Posted by Water Closet View Post
    I agree. Probably should have shot them; that way they couldn't have gone to the press. ;) :D
    Excellent idea. I may write the mayor with that suggestion. I'll keep you posted.

You left some stuff out from your original rant by the way:
    ...civil-rights lawyers called Tenaha's practice something else: highway robbery. The attorneys filed a federal class-action lawsuit to stop what they contend is an unconstitutional perversion of the law's intent
    Duh. What took so long?
    Once the motorists were detained, police and the Shelby County district attorney quickly drew up legal papers presenting them with an option: Waive their rights to their cash and property or face felony charges for crimes such as money laundering
    And I seriously need to ask a question...Who would agree to this? What innocent person would just hand over their belongings when they've done nothing wrong? Yeah, it shouldn't come to that but I would tell them to go fuck themselves (in several languages), charge me, beat them in court and then sue with my own laundry list of charges.
    Be Not Afraid.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by JB View Post
    What innocent person would just hand over their belongings when they've done nothing wrong? Yeah, it shouldn't come to that but I would tell them to go fuck themselves (in several languages), charge me, beat them in court and then sue with my own laundry list of charges.
    I agree with that.

If they did not have drugs on their possession or committed a serious crime, this would be a clear violation of civil rights. I think there is a lot more to this story than meets the eye. BTW, grannies have been caught dealing drugs. So before someone states that these officials are thieves, there needs to be a thorough investigation by the FBI.