Thread: Gay Marriage Is Out. New Hotness: Triads.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. #1 Gay Marriage Is Out. New Hotness: Triads. 
    First came traditional marriage. Then, gay marriage. Now, there's a movement combining both—simultaneously.

Abby Ellin visits the next frontier of nuptials: the "triad."

Less than 18 months ago, Sasha Lessin and Janet Kira Lessin gathered before their friends near their home in Maui, and proclaimed their love for one another. Nothing unusual about that—Sasha, 68, and Janet, 55—were legally married in 2000. Rather, this public commitment ceremony was designed to also bind them to Shivaya, their new 60-something "husband." Says Sasha: “I want to walk down the street hand in hand in hand in hand and live together openly and proclaim our relationship. But also to have all those survivor and visitation rights and tax breaks and everything like that.”

“I want to walk down the street hand in hand in hand in hand and live together openly and proclaim our relationship,” says Sasha Lessin. “But also to have all those survivor and visitation rights and tax breaks and everything like that.”

Maine this week became the fifth state, and the fourth in New England, to legalize gay marriage, provoking yet another national debate about same-sex unions. The Lessins' advocacy group, the Maui-based World Polyamory Association, is pushing for the next frontier of less-traditional codified relationships. This community has even come up with a name for what the rest of the world generally would call a committed threesome: the "triad."

Unlike open marriages and the swinger days of the 1960s and 1970s, these unions are not about sex with multiple outside partners. Nor are they relationships where one person is involved with two others, who are not involved with each other, a la actress Tilda Swinton. That's closer to bigamy. Instead, triads—"triangular triads," to use precise polyamorous jargon—demand that all three parties have full relationships, including sexual, with each other. In the Lessins case, that can be varying pairs but, as Sasha, a psychologist, puts it, "Janet loves it when she gets a double decker." In a triad, there would be no doubt in Elizabeth Edwards’ mind whether her husband fathered a baby out of wedlock; she likely would have participated in it.

There are no statistics or studies out there, but according to Robyn Trask, the executive director of Loving More, a nonprofit organization in Loveland (yes, really), Colorado, dedicated to poly-education and support, about 25 percent of the estimated 50,000 self-identified polyamorists in the U.S. live together in semi-wedded bliss. A disproportionate number of them are baby boomers. (Paging Timothy Leary: Janet Lessin claims on her Web site that she's able to travel astrally.)
    No slippery slopes to see here - move along. :D

The Daily Beast

Quote Originally Posted by Gingersnap View Post

The Daily Beast
    I woke up from my nap to read this? That deep puddle in my driveway is looking more and more inviting.

Banned
    First of all, who knew Ginger read the DailyBeast.:eek:

Second of all, if it hadn't come from the DailyBeast I'd see is as a far-right attempt to drum up fear about acceptance of gay marriage.

Okay so, now I have to deal with it.

Honestly, this is interesting. And logically, because all three participants are 'single' at the time of the ceremony, gay marriage could lead to this.

I would say gay marriage would not lead to the more 'traditional' polygamy practiced in some mormon sects because when applying for a marriage license the groom would have to list his current marital status and therefore not be eligible for a state marriage license.

Mama Mia! Here we go again...

(yes, I like musicals) TMI?

Quote Originally Posted by hazlnut View Post
    First of all, who knew Ginger read the DailyBeast.:eek:
    Indeed, who knew? :p

And coming soon to a Justice of the Peace in YOUR neighborhood...

Man, Man, Woman marriages.
    Woman, Woman, Man marriages.
    Man, woman, underaged girl marriages.
    Man, Man, goat marriages.
    Woman, woman, horse marriages.
    Man, Man, young boy, dead woman marriages.
    Woman, woman, young boy, dead horse marriages.

It's "progressive"!

rm -rf obama*

An Adversary of Linda #'s
    Quote Originally Posted by BadCat View Post
    And coming soon to a Justice of the Peace in YOUR neighborhood...

Man, Man, Woman marriages.
    Woman, Woman, Man marriages.
    Man, woman, underaged girl marriages.
    Man, Man, goat marriages.
    Woman, woman, horse marriages.
    Man, Man, young boy, dead woman marriages.
    Woman, woman, young boy, dead horse marriages.

It's "progressive"!
    After a while the dead horse would stink as much as the hippie woman !

An Adversary of Linda #'s

The Daily Beast
    Lets see If I have this straight?Two woman one man .At least one of the woman is Bi Sexual and the man is straight but with very low sexual tastes ?Or are both of the woman lesbian and the man bi Sexual ? Or Are they All Bi Sexual ?And "Janet loves it when she gets a double decker " this one must be Bi ?

This has already happened over in the Netherlands:

http://www.worldnetdaily.com/news/ar...TICLE_ID=46583

And there are definitely advocates for "triads" in the US. The group mentioned in the original article is just 1 of several. It will be next up on the agenda once gay marriages are fairly firmly ensconced in most or all of the US.
    The problem in the next four years will be not just that the president of the United States serially does not tell the truth. Instead, the real crisis in our brave new relativist world will be that those who demonstrate that he is untruthful will themselves be accused of lying. - Victor Davis Hanson

The Daily Beast
    sssssh! Don't wake wilbur up. He's comfortably asleep on his not slippery slope.

I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else.
    C. S. Lewis

Resident Unliked Meanie Shannon's Avatar
    I've been seriously considering marrying my dog. Any objections?

BTW, she is very capable of consenting.
    Loyalty Binds Me- Motto of Richard III