Thread: "Old 'Snake Head' Carville 'Hisses' ."

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Water Closet View Post
    The pure numerical demographics agree with Carville, i.e., age, race, ethnicity demos all favor the Democrats. However, numbers cannot predict the real world actions of human players. It may be that the Republican party will wake up and start listening to the social moderation of the majority; it may be that the Democrats will overplay their hand and alienate the centrist majority in terms of taxes.

Such predictions are only useful for their shock value in selling books and boosting speaker fees. I remember some not-so-long-ago discussions of a "permanent Republican majority." That didn't work out all that well.
    This is what is called a non-sequitur. It does not follow that after a President who attempted to be kinder and gentler to the domestic opposition and declined to draw distinctions between the two parties (even as they flirted with treason to undermine the war on terror), and a congress that was constantly undermining him thanks to the RINO contingent, that what the Republican Party needs is more moderation, much less that the majority is socially moderate. Gay marriage has yet to pass on a single ballot initiative in any state. Abortion on demand, all the time, for any reason, is not moderate, but parental notification, providing medical care to a fetus delivered whole and viable during an abortion and restrictions on late term elective abortions consistently poll well ahead of the former position. Of the two candidates in the last presidential election, the American people were presented with promises of tax cuts for 95% of Americans from a Democrast vs. a Republican who claimed that he would have opposed extending the Bush tax cuts. Both claimed to oppose gay marriage. Obama categorically denied that he had voted for legislation that would deny medical care to a baby that survived an abortion. In short, Obama ran to the center, lying through his teeth throughout, while McCain ran on his much more centrist record and lost. OTOH, conservatives, social and fiscal, won handily in 1980 and 1994, and only lost when they demonstrated a failure of nerve in the face of Democratic obstruction.
    --Odysseus
    Sic Hacer Pace, Para Bellum.

Before you can do things for people, you must be the kind of man who can get things done. But to get things done, you must love the doing, not the people!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Odysseus View Post
    This is what is called a non-sequitur. It does not follow that after a President who attempted to be kinder and gentler to the domestic opposition and declined to draw distinctions between the two parties (even as they flirted with treason to undermine the war on terror), and a congress that was constantly undermining him thanks to the RINO contingent, that what the Republican Party needs is more moderation, much less that the majority is socially moderate. Gay marriage has yet to pass on a single ballot initiative in any state. Abortion on demand, all the time, for any reason, is not moderate, but parental notification, providing medical care to a fetus delivered whole and viable during an abortion and restrictions on late term elective abortions consistently poll well ahead of the former position. Of the two candidates in the last presidential election, the American people were presented with promises of tax cuts for 95% of Americans from a Democrast vs. a Republican who claimed that he would have opposed extending the Bush tax cuts. Both claimed to oppose gay marriage. Obama categorically denied that he had voted for legislation that would deny medical care to a baby that survived an abortion. In short, Obama ran to the center, lying through his teeth throughout, while McCain ran on his much more centrist record and lost. OTOH, conservatives, social and fiscal, won handily in 1980 and 1994, and only lost when they demonstrated a failure of nerve in the face of Democratic obstruction.
    Go for it. Run an anti-abortion, anti-immigration, anti-gay marriage conservative. And we'll see. :D

Go for it. Run an anti-abortion, anti-immigration, anti-gay marriage conservative. And we'll see. :D
    Running a candidate like that would be a nice change for the Republican party.

rm -rf obama*

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by BadCat View Post
    Good. Do it! Let's see if they get 40%.

An Adversary of Linda #'s
    Quote Originally Posted by BadCat View Post
    We've had several of those in the past ,Even a few Democrats !

Banned
    Good. Do it! Let's see if they get 40%.
    When Americans see their taxes go up and the economy in shambles (my prediction), Democrats and Independents that voted for Reagan will not give 2 shits about the social agenda. They will turn away from the Democrats. Carville is full of crap because no party has had a 40 year rule. Bottom line, the economy went south, the war lingered too long, Repubs grew the size of governtment and voters wanted change. Obama gave them hope so they voted for him. If that change turns into a bad dream, the Democrats will get soundly defeated. For example, if your Federal Income Taxes rise from 35% to 50% and he increases every thing under the sun, would you would still vote for him if he ran against a social consersative? If so, you need to get your head examined. The shit is getting ready to hit the fan; better start saving your coins while you can because inflation is coming our way.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by lacarnut View Post
    When Americans see their taxes go up and the economy in shambles (my prediction), Democrats and Independents that voted for Reagan will not give 2 shits about the social agenda. They will turn away from the Democrats. Carville is full of crap because no party has had a 40 year rule. Bottom line, the economy went south, the war lingered too long, Repubs grew the size of governtment and voters wanted change. Obama gave them hope so they voted for him. If that change turns into a bad dream, the Democrats will get soundly defeated. For example, if your Federal Income Taxes rise from 35% to 50% and he increases every thing under the sun, would you would still vote for him if he ran against a social consersative? If so, you need to get your head examined. The shit is getting ready to hit the fan; better start saving your coins while you can because inflation is coming our way.
    This seems to be the constant theme here: God I hope Obama really, really screws up then "we" might have a chance of winning." Looking at the situation another way, perhaps the correct question might be "what can 'we' do to win." Looking at that question, where are the additional votes going to come from. As I noted above, the growing demographics are voting Democratic, while the shrinking demographics are voting Republican. So, is there any plan other than hoping Obama and the Ds give it away?
    Last edited by Water Closet; 05-14-2009 at 06:24 PM.

Banned
    This seems to be the constant theme here: God I hope Obama really, really screws up then "we" might have a chance of winning." Looking at the situation another way, perhaps the correct question might be "what can 'we' do to win." Looking at that question, where are the additional votes going to come from. As I noted above, the growing demographics are voting Democratic, while the shrinking demographics are voting Republican. So, is there any plan other than hoping Obama and the give it away?
    Let me make it perfectly clear so even a liberal like you can understand. I don't think "I Know" that Obama is going to raise the shit out of EVERYONE's taxes to pay for all the new and existing programs. I don't want him to do that but he is hell bent on f. up the economy. At this point, the Democraps can pass just about any legislation. The Repubs have a little over a year to get their act together in the 2010 elections. Read my lips "it's the economy stupid." If it's in the crapper, Repubs will reverse their downward spiral. The plan will be lower taxes, lower taxes, less government. That's what turned it around for Reagan and that is what can turn it around for the Repubs.

At this jucture, the voters are giving Obummer the benefit of the doubt with the economy. A year or so from now,you and the Democraps will not be able to blame everything on the idiot child. That will only fly for so long. The O has to govern rather than remain in his campaign mode.

This seems to be the constant theme here: God I hope Obama really, really screws up then "we" might have a chance of winning."
    The question isn't if, but when. I support Obama as my president, just as I would've supported McCain (even though both their policies suck). But what he's pushing wont work. It never has in the past. Since I started AA, I constantly hear people say that I can't keep drinking like I did and expect a different result, because that's a definition of insanity. If someone like me; just a high school educated Marine with a drinking problem can see that doing things that failed in the past generally leads to more failure, why can't our President?
    "Don't vote. It only encourages the bastards." -PJ O'Roarke

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by marinejcksn View Post
    The question isn't if, but when. I support Obama as my president, just as I would've supported McCain (even though both their policies suck). But what he's pushing wont work. It never has in the past. Since I started AA, I constantly hear people say that I can't keep drinking like I did and expect a different result, because that's a definition of insanity. If someone like me; just a high school educated Marine with a drinking problem can see that doing things that failed in the past generally leads to more failure, why can't our President?
    Keep up the good work of absitinence. After you get that monkey off your back, give up the cancer sticks.
    It really is not that hard if you put your mind to it, and you will feel 100% better.