The Repubs should do what CW implies, so that we can win. After all, that's what's more important, isn't it? The policies or governing philosophy aren't as important as having more candidates with R's by their names. Does it really matter if there are simply two parties with minor differences between them? Sort of like regular beer and light beer.
- Abortion: A state that has no regard for the lives of the most defenseless will have no regard for the lives and property of anyone. In addition, the federalization of the abortion issue creates precedents for expansion of federal authority into areas that it has no business in. Therefore, I will appoint judges who will follow the original intent of the Constitution and who will overturn Roe v. Wade, which will return the issue to the state legislatures and medical boards, where it belongs.
- Immigration: As a descendent of immigrants, I would be truly ungrateful if I were to deny the benefits of our nation to those who seek to come here to enjoy the freedoms that we have been given at such great cost, and which we must continue to guard. However, if we are to remain free, we must make some hard decisions on immigration, identifying what we expect of immigrants, and what they can expect from America.
First, it is not too much to expect that immigrants will obey our laws and respect our institutions. Those immigrants who come here and seek to undermine either, through crime, indolence or as agents of hostile foreign entities, have no place in America. We can argue about the case of an otherwise law-abiding immigrant whose visa has expired but continues to work and build a life for himself and his family, but we should all agree that an immigrant who enters the country illegally and commits felonies here has no place in America and should be deported. This is already our law, and yet hundreds of cities and towns declare themselves "sanctuary" cities, making it illegal for their police to inform ICE when they have taken an illegal into custody on a felony warrant. That is madness.
Similarly, those immigrants who enter illegally and then become a burden, taking benefits paid for by American citizens, driving up the cost of health care, education and all of the other services which citizens expect in return for their taxes have no business here, literally. Again, one can argue the value added by laborers who support themselves and their families and are not a burden, but those who demand all and return nothing have no place here. Finally, I speak of those who take up the causes of our enemies, who belong to front organizations from which they raise funds for, or make apologies for, terrorists, have no place here. As we have seen in the case of the Holy Land Fund, violent extremist groups have used such organizations to infiltrate the United States and act as agents for these groups. They disseminate hate, finance murder, recruit terrorists and use their positions to crush dissent within the communities that they claim to represent, ultimately doing their worst to destroy our Constitutional order. There is no place here for them. The Constitution is not a suicide pact.
In return, legal immigrants can expect what our ancestors received. They will be free, they will have the opportunity to build new lives and to provide for their children in the safety of a free society. They will not have to live in fear of their government, nor will they have to kowtow to it. We will assist in those things that help them to become Americans, including a solid foundation in English language in the public schools, which will ensure that their children will be able to function and prosper in America. We will protect their rights as Americans, and we will ensure that they exercise the obligations that come with those rights.
- Gay Marriage: When our current president said, and I quote, “I’m a Christian. And so, although I try not to have my religious beliefs dominate or determine my political views on this issue, I do believe that tradition, and my religious beliefs say that marriage is something sanctified between a man and a woman,” I believe that he articulated a position which is compatible with the laws and traditions of the United States. When he told Rick Warren, “I believe that marriage is the union between a man and a woman." and “For me as a Christian, it is a sacred union. You know, God is in the mix.” and that "[he is] not someone who supports same-sex marriage but [does] believe in civil unions,” he expressed the position of the vast majority of Americans, a position that does not radically redefine one of the most basic institutions in our nation.
Last edited by Odysseus; 05-15-2009 at 12:15 PM.
1. Cutting Federal Spending on all fronts not essential to the Nation. Pledge to veto any legislation regarding Future bailouts of ANY industry; Chapter 11 is there for a reason and American taxpayers should never be on the hook for the poor actions of private companies.
2. Leaving Abortion to the States rather then the Feds, run a candidate who supports a woman's right to choose but opposes Partial Birth and vows to cut all Federal spending for Abortions. The Federal Government should not be subsidizing something like Abortion.
3. Lowering taxes by at least 10% on EVERYTHING (personal income tax, estate tax, Capital Gains, Corporate tax, etc.)
4. Allowing states on the Southern border to begin construction on the wall from day 1.
5. Establish Medical Savings Accounts, deregulate the Health Care Industry and Remove barriers to safe, affordable medicine.
6. End Welfare, both private and Corporate. Begin a tax credit on a dollar-for-dollar basis for contributions to private charities and reform Education through school vouchers and increased Parental choice.
7. Begin to privatize Social Security. Allow younger Generations to begin opting out of the program and planning for our own retirement rather then continue to prop up a failed ponzi scheme.
8. Make a SERIOUS effort to break our dependence on foreign oil, by cutting Corporate taxes on private energy companies on a dollar-for-dollar basis for every cent they spend researching alternative fuels. At the same time, allow for clean Nuclear plants to be constructed, reduce restrictions on Coal and Coal to Oil creation, open ANWR and Continental Shelf areas to drilling and elliminate CAFE standards on vehicles built in the US.
|« Previous Thread | Next Thread »|