Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 57
  1. #21  
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Hartford, CT USA
    Posts
    2,024
    Quote Originally Posted by MrsSmith View Post
    It's so much better to wake up and think, "The US is now a little more like Europe."

    It's funny how many people think "the government" is getting smaller when only the military is affected. Then those same people whine endlessly when Reserves and National Guard must be used instead of regular military...and whine even more over the expense required to rebuild and resupply our military. Now, if those whiners could be convinced to vote for politicians that would actually cut pork and our largest expense column - social spending ... I know, I'm dreaming. Reduce the amount of waste, cut spending on the Dim plantation, give single moms an education and a babysitter instead of years and years of welfare...never gonna happen. (Oh, and it's all the Republican's fault, don't you know.)
    The R's had control of the presidency for the last 8 years and control of both houses of Congress for approximately 6 of the last 8 and they've done what exactly to cut social program?
    Reply With Quote  
     

  2. #22  
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Hartford, CT USA
    Posts
    2,024
    Quote Originally Posted by MrsSmith View Post
    In the real world, new laws often supercede old ones.
    That must be why the number of federal laws and regulations, state laws and regulations, and local laws and regulations have shrunk so dramatically over the last three decades.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  3. #23  
    Senior Member FeebMaster's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    CT
    Posts
    1,008
    Quote Originally Posted by Cold Warrior View Post
    The R's had control of the presidency for the last 8 years and control of both houses of Congress for approximately 6 of the last 8 and they've done what exactly to cut social program?
    It's all an illusion. While it looks like the government has grown massively, really it shrunk by 23.79%.



    Quote Originally Posted by MrsSmith View Post
    It's so much better to wake up and think, "The US is now a little more like Europe."
    Not really.


    Quote Originally Posted by MrsSmith View Post
    Now, if those whiners could be convinced to vote for politicians that would actually cut pork and our largest expense column - social spending ... I know, I'm dreaming. Reduce the amount of waste, cut spending on the Dim plantation, give single moms an education and a babysitter instead of years and years of welfare...never gonna happen. (Oh, and it's all the Republican's fault, don't you know.)
    Good advice. Maybe you should follow it.

    Oh, and single moms can pay for their own damned education and babysitters. I thought you wanted to cut social spending.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  4. #24  
    Banned JB's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    7,889
    Quote Originally Posted by Cold Warrior View Post
    I'm confused. It seems that the OP is advocating for additional federal regulation. I was under the impression that all God-fearin' conservatives were for less, not more, federal laws, intervention, and regulation.

    Or is it not a principle, but rather that group is for more regulation with which they agree and less regulation with which they disagree?
    Is that what you took away from the OP? If so, I'm confused.

    Are you saying you're for free healthcare, welfare, education, etc for illegals? You'd like ballots and other legal documents to be printed in a variety of languages? You're OK with not deporting illegals when they are caught in this country?

    If we could legislate that all away, start drawing up the documents now.
    Be Not Afraid.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  5. #25  
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Hartford, CT USA
    Posts
    2,024
    Quote Originally Posted by JB View Post
    Is that what you took away from the OP? If so, I'm confused.

    Are you saying you're for free healthcare, welfare, education, etc for illegals? You'd like ballots and other legal documents to be printed in a variety of languages? You're OK with not deporting illegals when they are caught in this country?

    If we could legislate that all away, start drawing up the documents now.
    Nope, I didn't express an opinion on the value of the proposed laws one way or the other. What I said is that it's odd that a bunch of conservatives would be advocating for more federal control over the states.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  6. #26  
    Banned JB's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    7,889
    Quote Originally Posted by Cold Warrior View Post
    Nope, I didn't express an opinion on the value of the proposed laws one way or the other. What I said is that it's odd that a bunch of conservatives would be advocating for more federal control over the states.
    What would be odd is a conservative being against those policies.
    Be Not Afraid.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  7. #27  
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Hartford, CT USA
    Posts
    2,024
    Quote Originally Posted by JB View Post
    What would be odd is a conservative being against those policies.
    Again, I made no comment on the relative ideological position of the individual items, but rather on the principle of federal intervention in state matters and the proliferation of federal power. Just take as an example #1. You're advocating additional federal control of local school systems and curriculum? Or take #2 or #3. Are you in favor of the federal government instructing state governments on how they can conduct their business?

    However, since you seem intent on me commenting on value of these items, I will say that:

    1. If we do #6 we need to take down a certain sign in on an island in NY, unless we wish to be world-class hypocrites
    2. #7 is just silly in economic terms and would impact our economy far more than it would affect foreign investors
    3. #8 seems simply vindictive -- all those smelly foreigners with their money can't buy our beaches
    4. #9 would appear to be a violation of the first amendment which does indeed apply, at least, to permanent residents (the term in the law is "foreigners" and a bit abiguous)
    5. #10 is pretty much the law, excepting the imprisonment and for those seeking political refuge. If it's not being carried out, another law won't make it so either

    If we're hell bent on adopting a third world set of laws, why don't we just lift Saudi Arabia's. That way, anyone convicted of a capital offense (and there are many) by Tuesday is executed on Friday. And what's neater, we can all go watch. :D
    Reply With Quote  
     

  8. #28  
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Woodland Park, Colorado, United States
    Posts
    8,563
    Quote Originally Posted by Cold Warrior View Post
    The R's had control of the presidency for the last 8 years and control of both houses of Congress for approximately 6 of the last 8 and they've done what exactly to cut social program?
    Does the term "filibuster" ring a bell? Remember the stalling techniques, the sreeching about the hateful Repugs stealing money from retired seniors, the incessant bitching about how Repukes didn't care about Seniors, school children starving at the school cafeterias, education can't survive, Blah, blah, blah.....

    When Consevatives tried to bring it up it was immediately politicized, ridiculed, and struck down by the morons, approximately 99% of them in the DIM party. (appologies to the one sane Dim in the DIM sewer).
    Reply With Quote  
     

  9. #29  
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Hartford, CT USA
    Posts
    2,024
    Quote Originally Posted by AmPat View Post
    Does the term "filibuster" ring a bell? Remember the stalling techniques, the sreeching about the hateful Repugs stealing money from retired seniors, the incessant bitching about how Repukes didn't care about Seniors, school children starving at the school cafeterias, education can't survive, Blah, blah, blah.....

    When Consevatives tried to bring it up it was immediately politicized, ridiculed, and struck down by the morons, approximately 99% of them in the DIM party. (appologies to the one sane Dim in the DIM sewer).
    That's the nature of the game. D's politicize stuff, R' politicize stuff. It's the way things work, the way things have always worked. Movement is most frequently achieved through compromise, rarely through bulldozers. If you're going to use that excuse, it has to be applied the other way as well during the periods (such as today) that the Dims don't have the requisite majority.

    However, thanks to Georgie Porgie, the unadmitted compassionate coke addict (unlike Patrick Kennedy), we're going to find out what it's like to be bulldozed, as the Dims will likely have a fillibuster-proof majority come November.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  10. #30  
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    The West
    Posts
    1,618
    CW is right, fillibuster or not, the R's in the last few years haven't had much of a heart for cutting government. Back in the nineties, Newt and the gang took the contract for America right to the people. The argument now, unfortunately, isn't about whether or not there should be a nanny state, it's how big the nanny state is going to grow.
    Reply With Quote  
     

Bookmarks
Bookmarks
Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •