Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Pre-4th Thursday! 
    With the 4th of Jooo-ly tomorrow, I thought I'd run a related TOTD:

What's your most memorable July 4th. The absolute best fireworks display I'd ever seen was from 3 years ago when we still lived in Winter Springs and went to Central Winds Park to see the city of Winter Springs annual 4th of July fireworks show, which Shannon said was awesome. The park itself was fairly big but the place was packed. Compete with patriotic music, the show was unbelievable. And close. A few times I thought we'd be struck by debris, but it was obviously very safe...needless to say, the fireworks show beat ANYTHING I'd ever witnessed. Second would be when I was a kid and we'd been vacationing in Key West and got to see fireworks on the beach as the Casa Marina resort (before it fell in disrepair many years later).
    "The oldest and strongest emotion of mankind is fear, and the oldest and strongest kind of fear is fear of the unknown." H.P. Lovecraft in Supernatural Horror in Literature

Power CUer
    My (and my family's) most memorable 4th.... that's easy. The bicentennial. I was in London before starting a term at university, and spent July 4, 1976, doing things all around the city. I attended a morning service to commemorate "the bicentenary of American independence" at Westminster Abbey (which I thought was really sporting of them), spent much of the day at the British Museum, and in the evening went to a Bicentennial concert on the steps of St. Paul's Cathedral, the London Philharmonic with Douglas Fairbanks reading various passages appropriate to the day in between pieces. After the concert, I walked back along the Victoria embankment and stood on Waterloo Bridge to watch fabulous fireworks go up.

My parents were across the world from me, on a cruise in Alaska. They spent that evening at a party with the Governor of Alaska, who was a fraternity buddy of my father's. I heard the fireworks were great there, too - even though it was still very light outside!

Quote Originally Posted by linda22003 View Post
    My (and my family's) most memorable 4th.... that's easy. The bicentennial. I was in London before starting a term at university, and spent July 4, 1976, doing things all around the city. I attended a morning service to commemorate "the bicentenary of American independence" at Westminster Abbey (which I thought was really sporting of them), spent much of the day at the British Museum, and in the evening went to a Bicentennial concert on the steps of St. Paul's Cathedral, the London Philharmonic with Douglas Fairbanks reading various passages appropriate to the day in between pieces. After the concert, I walked back along the Victoria embankment and stood on Waterloo Bridge to watch fabulous fireworks go up.

My parents were across the world from me, on a cruise in Alaska. They spent that evening at a party with the Governor of Alaska, who was a fraternity buddy of my father's. I heard the fireworks were great there, too - even though it was still very light outside!
    Wow, that was certainly a unique 4th story...very cool!
    "The oldest and strongest emotion of mankind is fear, and the oldest and strongest kind of fear is fear of the unknown." H.P. Lovecraft in Supernatural Horror in Literature

Power CUer
    It really was. :)

A cool runner up was when a friend who was one of Bush Sr's speechwriters got us in to the "ice cream social" on the White House lawn. George and "Bar" were mingling on a typically muggy Washington July night, and the fireworks were good even in the hot, heavy air.

Another one I enjoyed was when I lived in Boston and canoed with a friend across the Charles, to listen to the Pops concert at the Hatch Shell and watch the fireworks. We had to scull quite a bit to stay in place on the river, and my arms were pretty tired the next day!

Quote Originally Posted by linda22003 View Post
    It really was. :)

A cool runner up was when a friend who was one of Bush Sr's speechwriters got us in to the "ice cream social" on the White House lawn. George and "Bar" were mingling on a typically muggy Washington July night, and the fireworks were good even in the hot, heavy air.

Another one I enjoyed was when I lived in Boston and canoed with a friend across the Charles, to listen to the Pops concert at the Hatch Shell and watch the fireworks. We had to scull quite a bit to stay in place on the river, and my arms were pretty tired the next day!
    Geez, I would think the WH ice-cream social would be a top 4th event, for sure. I don't know what we're doing tomorrow, but one of Tristan's best friends (he has many) parents in our neighborhood is having the usual 4th block party and we've been invited, I think. They're flaming libs, but nice people despite the politics.

Yawn......It will be cooler today (great weeding weather) and stormy this p.m. I'm blinking around making potato salad this morning. My BF is bringing something called "Frog Eye" salad tomorrow. She swears it's yummy. :eek:

She won't disclose if actual frog eyes are involved.

TOTD: Sadly, I have no outstanding stories to tell. We have always celebrated the Fourth at home or in a camp. However, we always manage to have a good time. Well, the humans do anyway, the dogs - not so much.

I once had a Sheltie who was so freaked out by fireworks that she had to professionally drugged for about 10 days in July. This dog would actually climb up your body and attempt to perch on your head if she heard any explosions. It made for a bad hair day.

Power CUer
    Quote Originally Posted by DarkScribe View Post
    Geez, I would think the WH ice-cream social would be a top 4th event, for sure. I don't know what we're doing tomorrow, but one of Tristan's best friends (he has many) parents in our neighborhood is having the usual 4th block party and we've been invited, I think. They're flaming libs, but nice people despite the politics.
    That is only a "runner up" because it was up against the bicentennial in London. :p As to mingling with your neighbors, I think it's nice to be exposed to other cultures! I'm defrosting a huge pork shoulder at the moment, since I've had confirmation that neighbors will be joining us for pulled pork, coleslaw, corn on the cob, and peach pie.
    Last edited by linda22003; 07-03-2008 at 09:33 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gingersnap View Post
    Yawn......It will be cooler today (great weeding weather) and stormy this p.m. I'm blinking around making potato salad this morning. My BF is bringing something called "Frog Eye" salad tomorrow. She swears it's yummy. :eek:

TOTD: Sadly, I have no outstanding stories to tell. We have always celebrated the Fourth at home or in a camp. However, we always manage to have a good time. Well, the humans do anyway, the dogs - not so much.

I once had a Sheltie who was so freaked out by fireworks that she had to professionally drugged for about 10 days in July. This dog would actually climb up your body and attempt to perch on your head if she heard any explosions. It made for a bad hair day.
    Yeah, our dog, Sandy, isn't too crazy about the fireworks noise...in fact, some dork was firing off stuff the other night and freaked her out...the cats aren't too crazy about it either, but I recall last year, our cat, Maggie, who loves to sit in her window surveying her domain (she's the haughty princess), liked looking out at all the flashing fireworks lights.

Nothing wrong with the low-key, staying-at-home 4th, grilling and chilling. Burgers and beer, sounds good to me! :D

I was about 10 or 11, my sister 8 or 9. My family parked in downtown Phoenix (always a risk at night) and walked over to the park where the fireworks were being set off. When we returned to our van after the show, the engine wouldn't start. This was back before cell phones so we went up to a house to ask to use their phone.

The house smelled like urine and feces and there were roaches (*waves to Shannon* :D ) all over. The lady who answered the door was dressed in a real mumu and had only a few teeth left. My dad told my mom, my sister and me to stay outside while he used the woman's phone.

He called a taxi to get us home while my dad stayed back and worked on the van at night in downtown Phoenix. I remember laying in bed waiting to hear the front door open. I wasn't able to sleep until I knew Dad made it home okay.

To thank the lady for letting us use her phone, my dad went to Costco (it was Price Club back then) and bought 24 packs of Coca-Cola, Budweiser, and a few other things. She was absolutely thrilled.
    2011 CU Fantasy Baseball Champion

Quote Originally Posted by Gingersnap View Post

It's just a pasta salad with lots of fruit.

Odd but my best fourths have all been celebrated outside the USA!!
    This is bigger than presidential politics. This is a battle for America.