1. #1 No Notice of the Colombian Hostage Rescue?? 
    Power CUer
    I know it hardly compares with what critters live in Shannon's garage, or what Patriot might be putting on the grill for the 4th, but I'm surprised to see no reaction to this story.

Even if you haven't followed it (and the FARC) for years, as I have (as part of my job, and that's really all I can say about it), I would think the liberation of people who have been held for so many years and their reuniting with their families would be a human interest story, but I don't see anything about it here.

It's because Ingrid Betancourt is French, isn't it?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by linda22003 View Post
    I know it hardly compares with what critters live in Shannon's garage, or what Patriot might be putting on the grill for the 4th, but I'm surprised to see no reaction to this story.

Even if you haven't followed it (and the FARC) for years, as I have (as part of my job, and that's really all I can say about it), I would think the liberation of people who have been held for so many years and their reuniting with their families would be a human interest story, but I don't see anything about it here.

It's because Ingrid Betancourt is French, isn't it?
    Damn Frenchies with their snails, their wine, and their loose women! :D

Seriously, I've not followed it particularly closely but have watched the extensive coverage this morning on CNN (damn Commie Network). It's a pretty incredible story and a success for both the Columbian and the American government as we evidently used our surveillance capabilities to locate and track FARC's every move. A piece of good news as oil passes $145, the DJIA formally enters a bear phase, and the GBP approaches 2:1 to the dollar.

Power CUer
    I've had to really hunt for updates sometimes, over the years. It happens that way with stories where there are not day to day developments. A friend of mine from school was the daughter of the President of the American University in Beirut; when he was kidnapped, the only publication that followed the story consistently was the Chronicle of Higher Education.

I follow the stories in South America but know many people here don't.

Are you talking about the Dodge family? My Mom went to AUB and when I went to my last reunion for the American High School in Beirut, we had several people who had lost parents to murder or kidnapping related to the situation there.
    AUB campus is so beautiful..
    This is bigger than presidential politics. This is a battle for America.

Power CUer
    Yes, the Dodges. Welcome back, LL! I sent you a "library" for your birthday greeting, but you weren't around so you probably didn't see it. Here is is again, just one room of a lovely private library I used to belong to in Boston:

I actually did see it, beautiful.:)
    I logged on at my Mom's but her dialup drove me crazy. She came in and read the thread and said "They really are a nice group of cyber-friends, aren't they?"
    That was quite an admission for her; she teases me about CU.:o

This is bigger than presidential politics. This is a battle for America.

Quote Originally Posted by linda22003 View Post
    I've had to really hunt for updates sometimes, over the years. It happens that way with stories where there are not day to day developments. A friend of mine from school was the daughter of the President of the American University in Beirut; when he was kidnapped, the only publication that followed the story consistently was the Chronicle of Higher Education.
    They're doing stories almost nonstop on that eeevil Fox News. It is good news for all the hostages released. I wish there were more coverage on those released other than the 3 Americans and the one French/Columbian.

They also were doing some fairly thoughtful pieces (for any news media--have to make that qualification) on the adjustment the hostages will have to do upon their return.