Thread: If this were the Old Testament, Harry Potter would be executed

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 35
  1. #1 If this were the Old Testament, Harry Potter would be executed 
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Pleasant Valley
    Posts
    639
    Sitting here in Lexington, KainTuck watching TV, waiting for a 10:30 conference call to India. BIO has "Jesus Camp" on. There's this fat blonde woman preaching to a bunch of weirded out kids saying that the devil's gonna get them if they don't watch out. Interestingly enough, one of her analogies is a baby tiger doll which she represents as Satan. She talks about nurturing Satan (sin) and then substitutes a larger tiger doll, which she swings about by the tail. Her conclusion is that if you lead a life of sin, "you've got a tiger by the tail." Oddly enough, that reminded me of my high-school principal, many, many years ago, telling us if we did drugs we'd have "a monkey on our backs."

    I don't know the background, the fallacies, the truths of this documentary, but these kids are really, really demented. In one scene, they're in a bowling alley and one little girl walks up to some broad and tells her that Jesus wants to love her. It's not a bad looking broad, so I can see the point. But hey!!!

    In another scene they recite the pledge of allegiance to the Christian States of America. Seems like we have our own madrases.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  2. #2  
    An Adversary of Linda #'s
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    22,891
    Quote Originally Posted by Water Closet View Post
    Sitting here in Lexington, KainTuck watching TV, waiting for a 10:30 conference call to India. BIO has "Jesus Camp" on. There's this fat blonde woman preaching to a bunch of weirded out kids saying that the devil's gonna get them if they don't watch out. Interestingly enough, one of her analogies is a baby tiger doll which she represents as Satan. She talks about nurturing Satan (sin) and then substitutes a larger tiger doll, which she swings about by the tail. Her conclusion is that if you lead a life of sin, "you've got a tiger by the tail." Oddly enough, that reminded me of my high-school principal, many, many years ago, telling us if we did drugs we'd have "a monkey on our backs."

    I don't know the background, the fallacies, the truths of this documentary, but these kids are really, really demented. In one scene, they're in a bowling alley and one little girl walks up to some broad and tells her that Jesus wants to love her. It's not a bad looking broad, so I can see the point. But hey!!!

    In another scene they recite the pledge of allegiance to the Christian States of America. Seems like we have our own madrases.
    CW/WC You finally found a new supplier of some strong stuff .Day tripping is bad for business and you may never make it back to your pad in Hartford.Try the magic mushrooms .
    Reply With Quote  
     

  3. #3  
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Pleasant Valley
    Posts
    639
    Quote Originally Posted by megimoo View Post
    CW/WC You finally found a new supplier of some strong stuff .Day tripping is bad for business and you may never make it back to your pad in Hartford.Try the magic mushrooms .
    As usual megs, the subtlety of your argument is too much for me, a poor Berkley graduate who toils away at a job in the State Department. However, these kids are Gremlin material. Here's the scene in the bowling alley (forgive the subtitles)...

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ExlFnLx_YVE
    Reply With Quote  
     

  4. #4  
    Senior Member AlmostThere's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    A Great Red State
    Posts
    1,920
    Quote Originally Posted by Water Closet View Post
    As usual megs, the subtlety of your argument is too much for me, a poor Berkley graduate who toils away at a job in the State Department. However, these kids are Gremlin material. Here's the scene in the bowling alley (forgive the subtitles)...

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ExlFnLx_YVE
    Are we supposed to be impressed by your Alma Mater or current employer? Does that give your religious bigotry some kind of legitimacy?
    Seems like we have our own madrases.
    If you equate these kids with some of the madrases we've seen on television, you should fit right in at State. I find it really interesting how people who speak the most on the evils of intolerance are often themselves, the most intolerant.
    Better to die on your feet than live on your knees.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  5. #5  
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Pleasant Valley
    Posts
    639
    Quote Originally Posted by AlmostThere View Post
    Are we supposed to be impressed by your Alma Mater our current employer? Does that give your religious bigotry some kind of legitimacy?

    If you equate these kids with some of the madrases we've seen on television, you should fit right in at State. I find it really interesting how people who speak the most on the evils of intolerance are often themselves, the most intolerant.
    You need some context. I neither graduated from Berkley nor do I work at the State Department (who works for the government but slugs). Megs, in his own world, has accused (guessed) that regarding me over the past year, as he has guessed similar things about Linda.

    It's interesting how, when presenting perfect examples of intolerance -- Harry Potter should be executed (an actual quote, btw) -- people are themselves accused of being intolerant. Yes, I'm intolerant regarding those who would use government power to impose their desert-based religious views on me. Mea culpa.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  6. #6  
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Thailand/Arizona
    Posts
    766
    WC,

    You know, I usually stay out of religious arguments cause I am an atheist. Candidly, I don't give a damn what anyone needs to believe to get through life. Islam, Jesus, Buddha, whatever.

    But if you think the madrases, which teach hate, intolerance, and extol violence as a method of converting the world compare to ANYTHING Christian then you lose your card as a person worth reading.

    Will you retract that ridiculous comparison? People can make mistakes. Was that one?
    Reply With Quote  
     

  7. #7  
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Redondo Beach, CA
    Posts
    1,003
    Quote Originally Posted by expat-pattaya View Post
    WC,

    You know, I usually stay out of religious arguments cause I am an atheist. Candidly, I don't give a damn what anyone needs to believe to get through life. Islam, Jesus, Buddha, whatever.

    But if you think the madrases, which teach hate, intolerance, and extol violence as a method of converting the world compare to ANYTHING Christian then you lose your card as a person worth reading.

    Will you retract that ridiculous comparison? People can make mistakes. Was that one?
    Promises, promises...

    What a tease!
    Reply With Quote  
     

  8. #8  
    An Adversary of Linda #'s
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    22,891
    Quote Originally Posted by Water Closet View Post
    You need some context. I neither graduated from Berkley nor do I work at the State Department (who works for the government but slugs). Megs, in his own world, has accused (guessed) that regarding me over the past year, as he has guessed similar things about Linda.

    It's interesting how, when presenting perfect examples of intolerance -- Harry Potter should be executed (an actual quote, btw) -- people are themselves accused of being intolerant. Yes, I'm intolerant regarding those who would use government power to impose their desert-based religious views on me. Mea culpa.
    I wasn't aware that you and the Nazi were a thing, perhaps I should drop the charges against her for witchcraft .

    Tell the bartender to change the channel and have something to eat to blot up the drugs.What's this thing you have for Potter ?Are you in your tripping an old graduate of Hogwarts University ?

    If you start casting spells in that bar they will dump you quick and leave you without an abode during the daytime.Do you find the level of cultural exchange here to be more to your liking than your own site ?

    Ask the barkeep to find a cultural channel that will show some Frankish history,perhaps something on the French King Henry the second and Single malt your day away in bliss .If the bar has a DVD player you could bring a Few Harry Potters with you Or better yet you could Wi_Fi your BlackBerry to the TV !

    By the by I too find Francois Rabelais to be very crude .I much prefer
    Honoré de Balzac's droll stories or Guy de Maupassant the graveyard sisterhood,Cuckold, A Coup D'etat
    Last edited by megimoo; 05-21-2009 at 01:15 AM.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  9. #9  
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    3,852
    Not like the madrases?

    http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x5l...mp-part-1_news

    Skip to minute 10 and watch this woman fawn over the effectiveness of Islamic indoctrination.... and admits to trying to emulate their radicalism.... but she has the truth, or so she says... so its all good.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  10. #10  
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Redondo Beach, CA
    Posts
    1,003
    Quote Originally Posted by Water Closet View Post
    Sitting here in Lexington, KainTuck watching TV, waiting for a 10:30 conference call to India. BIO has "Jesus Camp" on. There's this fat blonde woman preaching to a bunch of weirded out kids saying that the devil's gonna get them if they don't watch out. Interestingly enough, one of her analogies is a baby tiger doll which she represents as Satan. She talks about nurturing Satan (sin) and then substitutes a larger tiger doll, which she swings about by the tail. Her conclusion is that if you lead a life of sin, "you've got a tiger by the tail." Oddly enough, that reminded me of my high-school principal, many, many years ago, telling us if we did drugs we'd have "a monkey on our backs."

    I don't know the background, the fallacies, the truths of this documentary, but these kids are really, really demented. In one scene, they're in a bowling alley and one little girl walks up to some broad and tells her that Jesus wants to love her. It's not a bad looking broad, so I can see the point. But hey!!!

    In another scene they recite the pledge of allegiance to the Christian States of America. Seems like we have our own madrases.
    That was a great documentary. I know I'm going to get blasted for this, but there does seem to be an anti-education, anti-college vibe among some Christian groups. I mean the Harry Potter books got kids reading--let's keep our kids from reading and thinking. I just think they are limiting their kids options in life when they stop them from reading great books and teach them that dinosaurs were around 5000 years ago.

    Another great film you should check out is called Hell House. It is about a Evangelical haunted house attraction where kids audition to play the abortion girl and aids patient who are dragged off to hell.

    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0301235/

    You can watch it on Netflix.
    Last edited by hazlnut; 05-21-2009 at 07:55 AM.
    Reply With Quote  
     

Bookmarks
Bookmarks
Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •