Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Water Closet View Post
    Sitting here in Lexington, KainTuck watching TV, waiting for a 10:30 conference call to India. BIO has "Jesus Camp" on. There's this fat blonde woman preaching to a bunch of weirded out kids saying that the devil's gonna get them if they don't watch out. Interestingly enough, one of her analogies is a baby tiger doll which she represents as Satan. She talks about nurturing Satan (sin) and then substitutes a larger tiger doll, which she swings about by the tail. Her conclusion is that if you lead a life of sin, "you've got a tiger by the tail." Oddly enough, that reminded me of my high-school principal, many, many years ago, telling us if we did drugs we'd have "a monkey on our backs."

I don't know the background, the fallacies, the truths of this documentary, but these kids are really, really demented. In one scene, they're in a bowling alley and one little girl walks up to some broad and tells her that Jesus wants to love her. It's not a bad looking broad, so I can see the point. But hey!!!

In another scene they recite the pledge of allegiance to the Christian States of America. Seems like we have our own madrases.
    Well,some drugs DO leave you with a monkey on your back. Watch another one of A&E/Bio channels offerings. . .Intervention. Those people suffer badly, along with their families. You can't tell me that at some point, the drugs stop being fun and hold on deeply, like a monkey on your back. Some sins DO lead to holding onto something dangerous in an untenable position... the abuse of the body via hard drug use definitely can be one of them.

If you don't know the background or anything about this documentary, why make the judgment? I understand if you've got an ought against Christianity, but based on your posts, your beliefs don't offer an alternative other than being judgmental in the other direction...post/anti-Christian judgementalism is still judgementalism, except the lines are a hell of a lot more arbitrary.

Madrassas? Seriously. . .when I see them sending kids as suicide bombers, you may have a point.

Your scare comparison just sounds like "EEEEKKK! A CHRISTIAN!"

<spit>

Pussy.

~QC

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by expat-pattaya View Post
    WC,

You know, I usually stay out of religious arguments cause I am an atheist. Candidly, I don't give a damn what anyone needs to believe to get through life. Islam, Jesus, Buddha, whatever.

But if you think the madrases, which teach hate, intolerance, and extol violence as a method of converting the world compare to ANYTHING Christian then you lose your card as a person worth reading.

Will you retract that ridiculous comparison? People can make mistakes. Was that one?
    When I see a cute little girl saying she wants to go out and kill people who don't believe in her god, I think the comparison is valid. Clearly within Christianity, such teachings are not anywhere near as prevelant as they are in the organized madrasses of Islam. However, in places like that shown in the film, the seeds do exist.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by megimoo View Post
    I wasn't aware that you and the Nazi were a thing, perhaps I should drop the charges against her for witchcraft .

Tell the bartender to change the channel and have something to eat to blot up the drugs.What's this thing you have for Potter ?Are you in your tripping an old graduate of Hogwarts University ?

If you start casting spells in that bar they will dump you quick and leave you without an abode during the daytime.Do you find the level of cultural exchange here to be more to your liking than your own site ?

Ask the barkeep to find a cultural channel that will show some Frankish history,perhaps something on the French King Henry the second and Single malt your day away in bliss .If the bar has a DVD player you could bring a Few Harry Potters with you Or better yet you could Wi_Fi your BlackBerry to the TV !

By the by I too find Francois Rabelais to be very crude .I much prefer
    Honoré de Balzac's droll stories or Guy de Maupassant the graveyard sisterhood,Cuckold, A Coup D'etat
    megs, I gotta tell ya'. After reading your post (or attempting to, at least), I'd be wary if I were you of warning others of the dangers of drugs or alcohol. :D

I saw Jesus Camp a while ago on cable. It's a good documentary, but it is not fair to paint all evangelicals and even all fundamentalists or pentecostals with the same brush as this one. To be honest, I thought Becky Fisher was brilliant, with a real gift for teaching children and youth. It is unfortunate she has such demented beliefs that she was conveying to them through her gift.

Shortly after I saw it, for example, at DU someone had posted a topic about the movie. Another poster compared his Young Life camp experience with that movie. I thought that was total BS, I was involved in YL in high school and it was fun. It was definitely evangelical, but there was more of an emphasis on the "God Loves You" message, not so much on the eternal fires of hell thing. I also went to a camp in Colorado, and it was one of the most fun experiences of my teen years. My beliefs have evolved since I was 16, and I am a liberal christian, but I value the experiences I had with Young Life and believe that the love of God worked through the adult leaders to help kids like me get through adolescence.

One of my favorite things to do online is check out church websites, of all denominations and backrounds. Here's one I found in my hometown that I thought looked interesting-a somewhat liberal, evangelical church, that I found through the Sojourner's website:

www.marshill.org

Sometime when I'm in Grand Rapids on a Sunday morning, I might go check it out. It's at the old Grand Village Mall.

All belief systems or organized training systems (not just religions) have some weird or radical expressions. You wouldn't believe the nutty stuff I endured at band camp and that is not an opening for a string of salacious jokes, either. I'm talking about some seriously weird "team building" stuff. The cheerleaders did the same kinds of things at their camp. Anybody on the outside looking in would have been amused, astonished, or revolted by turns.

Anybody who has done Outward Bound or any kind of similar survival training will be able to add to the scary/goofy story library. It's a good thing those organizations don't allow cameras or the whole bunch of them would be jailed for.....something. But the training is truly excellent.

I'm sure I would find a documentary about a progressive environmental camp (yes, they have them) to be horrifying. I once left a three day yoga seminar due the High Weirdness and I'm not exactly easily spooked. :eek:

You wouldn't believe the nutty stuff I endured at band camp and that is not an opening for a string of salacious jokes, either.
    O no band camp! This is taking away from my imaginary image of you. Strawberry blonde, perfect body, splash of freckles. Is there a tuba in this picture and a chubby little girl just wanting to be noticed.

Quote Originally Posted by Gingersnap View Post
    All belief systems or organized training systems (not just religions) have some weird or radical expressions. You wouldn't believe the nutty stuff I endured at band camp and that is not an opening for a string of salacious jokes, either. I'm talking about some seriously weird "team building" stuff. The cheerleaders did the same kinds of things at their camp. Anybody on the outside looking in would have been amused, astonished, or revolted by turns.

Anybody who has done Outward Bound or any kind of similar survival training will be able to add to the scary/goofy story library. It's a good thing those organizations don't allow cameras or the whole bunch of them would be jailed for.....something. But the training is truly excellent.

I'm sure I would find a documentary about a progressive environmental camp (yes, they have them) to be horrifying. I once left a three day yoga seminar due the High Weirdness and I'm not exactly easily spooked. :eek:

I went to "band camp", although I was in orchestra (violin). I went to Blue Lake Fine Arts Camp twice, and to the All-State program at Interlochen (the Hogwarts of the music world). I know what you mean.

The stuff Becky Fisher had the kids doing in the movie was extreme by anyone's standard-it was the whole "warriors for Christ" speech taken very seriously by both the teacher and the children. If someone who has little exposure to evangelical christianity saw this movie, he wouldn't understand just how extreme this camp program was. As I said, this was not your typical evangelical kids' camp.

The ministers brought the children, some of them pretty young, to an anti-abortion protest in DC. All the participants put duct tape over their mouths. The same ministers sent the kids to witness to people in a public park in DC, also, and there was this little girl named Rachel who was about 7 or 8 who was walking up to strangers to tell them about Jesus. I really don't have a problem with street preachers, but I don't think that it is a safe thing to have young kids doing, either. I hope they were just doing it for the cameras, since having a film crew around probably made it a little safer for the kids.

There are evangelical teens and young adults who do outreach in Detroit in some pretty scary areas, but they are older, and many are adults.

Quote Originally Posted by Rockntractor View Post
    O no band camp! This is taking away from my imaginary image of you. Strawberry blonde, perfect body, splash of freckles. Is there a tuba in this picture and a chubby little girl just wanting to be noticed.
    No, we didn't have any fat kids in band when I played. How could a fat kid spend two hours of drill in 90 degree heat? Besides, the uniforms didn't go up that big.

Quote Originally Posted by Gingersnap View Post
    No, we didn't have any fat kids in band when I played. How could a fat kid spend two hours of drill in 90 degree heat? Besides, the uniforms didn't go up that big.
    Thank you my imaginary picture is safe then.

Power CUer
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockntractor View Post
    Thank you my imaginary picture is safe then.
    You notice she didn't deny a tuba, though.
    "Today, [the American voter] chooses his rulers as he buys bootleg whiskey, never knowing precisely what he is getting, only certain that it is not what it pretends to be." - H.L. Mencken