Thread: Taps

1. #1 Taps 
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1lNVTjS_5sQ

Tom Day, founder of Bugles Across American, runs his organization from the basement of his home near Chicago. Each year, his organization runs in the red, with Tom covering about $10,000 himself. God Bless this man. Donations can be made at the website. I found this a fitting story for Memorial Day. With up to 2000 WW II vets passing away every day, Tom makes sure that any family that wishes to have live Taps, is able to do so at the funeral.

http://xeml.buglesacrossamerica.org

More recent interview. Fox did a segment on this yesterday but could not find it online...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8iXBjHRepYU

Senior Betwixt Member Bubba Dawg's Avatar
    In my own private Alamo on The Mountain in Georgia
    Nice Rob.

Good stories. It is sobering to think of the number of World War Two vets who pass each day. When my father-in-law died last year, we did not have a bugler for taps but we did have an American Flag for the graveside service and a very nice metal plaque for the granite slap detailing his wartime service.

For every one's information, the flag and the metal plaque are available through the VA.

Per my father-in-law's request I am flying an American Flag on this Memorial Day weekend in memory of nine of his fellow servicemen from the little town of Cottondale Florida who died in service in WW2. He always flew the flag for them and I promised I wold continue this tradition.

Respect to all the vets today.
    Hey careful man! There's a beverage here!

Power CUer
    He was the "Power Player of the Week" on Fox News Sunday yesterday. He operates at a $10k a year deficit which he makes up out of his own pocket. After yesterday's news story, I hope that deficit will disappear. My husband wants to send him a donation, because he was unhappy that his father had recorded Taps at his funeral.

http://www.buglesacrossamerica.org
    "Today, [the American voter] chooses his rulers as he buys bootleg whiskey, never knowing precisely what he is getting, only certain that it is not what it pretends to be." - H.L. Mencken

Quote Originally Posted by Bubba Dawg View Post
    Nice Rob.

Per my father-in-law's request I am flying an American Flag on this Memorial Day weekend in memory of nine of his fellow servicemen from the little town of Cottondale Florida who died in service in WW2. He always flew the flag for them and I promised I wold continue this tradition.
    That is great.

Praying for your wife's comfort as she remembers her father today.

Power CUer
    The Fox News Sunday site does have a section for "Power Player of the Week", which seems to run a week behind. Last week's power player is currently featured, so presumably the Tom Day segment will be posted in due course. It's worth seeing.
    "Today, [the American voter] chooses his rulers as he buys bootleg whiskey, never knowing precisely what he is getting, only certain that it is not what it pretends to be." - H.L. Mencken

Quote Originally Posted by linda22003 View Post
    The Fox News Sunday site does have a section for "Power Player of the Week", which seems to run a week behind. Last week's power player is currently featured, so presumably the Tom Day segment will be posted in due course. It's worth seeing.
    Thanks for letting us know. It's very sobering for me daily. I've sold to the fed gov't for years. Last week I had a rush order for a department at the VA---for recent multiple amputees returning from Iraq and Afghanistan. I was proud of the manufacturer who got it there in world record time, at least for them.

The folks at the Jefferson Barracks National Cemetery sadly are kept way too busy with the loss of World War II vets and returning from overseas. Today is the funeral for a brave young woman, a graduate of John Burroughs (a fancy private school) and a 2nd Lt. She was killed by a roadside bomb and is being buried at the National Cemetery.

Thanks to all the veterans for all you have done for our country.

Senior Betwixt Member Bubba Dawg's Avatar
    In my own private Alamo on The Mountain in Georgia
    Quote Originally Posted by RobJohnson View Post
    That is great.

Praying for your wife's comfort as she remembers her father today.
    Thanks. The first Christmas, the first Father's Day and other first holidays after a loved one passes are particularly hard.
    Hey careful man! There's a beverage here!

Quote Originally Posted by Bubba Dawg View Post
    Thanks. The first Christmas, the first Father's Day and other first holidays after a loved one passes are particularly hard.
    I agree.