1. #1 How soup can help you lose weight 
    An Adversary of Linda #'s
    In the battle to lose weight, hunger is the dieter's worst enemy. But research has revealed a simple aid to taming the appetite: soup. It's dieting's best kept secret says one science writer. Imagine a typical lunchtime meal - say, chicken and vegetables with a glass of water. If you eat the food and drink the water, you will feel full for a couple of hours before hunger kicks in. But if you blend the food with the water - to make soup - you will stay hunger-free for much longer, and less likely to snack through the afternoon. How...
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/magazine/8068733.stm

I believe in soup. Chicken and veggie soup is a lot more satisfying than a piece of baked chicken and a cup of broccoli. I could easily live off of different kinds of soup if Mr. Snaps would let me. :)

Quote Originally Posted by Gingersnap View Post
    I believe in soup. Chicken and veggie soup is a lot more satisfying than a piece of baked chicken and a cup of broccoli. I could easily live off of different kinds of soup if Mr. Snaps would let me. :)
    You need steaks and chops. Large chunks of meat you can sink your teeth into. You eat like a girl!

Quote Originally Posted by Rockntractor View Post
    You need steaks and chops. Large chunks of meat you can sink your teeth into. You eat like a girl!
    With Ginger red hair and green eyes and very thin she looks a lot better than you !

Quote Originally Posted by megimoo View Post
    With Ginger red hair and green eyes and very thin she looks a lot better than you !
    I would have to do more than eat soup to look like her.

Hey, thats the way I make soup!:D

Technically stew.;)

: “Grow your own dope. Plant a liberal.”
    ” Obummercare, 20 percent of the time it works everytime.

You eat like a girl!
    That's why I don't look like a cow. Seriously, soup is about the perfect diet food. It's filling and you can cram a lot of nutrition in there.

Quote Originally Posted by patriot45 View Post
    Hey, thats the way I make soup!:D

Technically stew.;)
    How about a smoked ham and split pea soup with about four loves of homemade sour dough Focaccia rye bread with crushed rosemay and sea salt and A few buckets of beer ?Or Sourbrotten with Bacon, pickled red cabbage and new boiled potato or potato dumplings and noodles !
    I Make a lot of Hash from left over roasts and steaks .I found that one of the best tasting hashes is made from left over pot roast.I chop up the leftover beef in the food processor ,add boiled potatoes and onion
    mixed by hand other wise it would end up mashed and stash in the refrigerator.

Next morning put hash in a tin pie pan, make three pockets in the hash and drop in three eggs .Broil until the eggs are still runny and just set !Lots of pepper .
    Bridgets American Sauerbraten
    2 pounds Boneless roast beef
    ˝ litre Buttermilk
    1 cup Red wine
    1 Bayleaf
    1 Onion, sliced
    2 Cloves
    2 Peppercorns
    5 Strips of bacon
    ˝ litre Water
    1 can (small) tomato paste
    3 tablespoons Cornstarch
    2 Carrots, sliced

1. Put the meat in a ceramic or glass bowl ,no alluminum . Pour the buttermilk, wine, and bayleaf over the meat. Add the peppercorns and onions. Keep in the refrigerator for at least 3 days, marinating the meat daily. 2. After 3 days, remove meat from the refrigerator. In a deep Dutch oven, fry the bacon and set aside. Put meat in the bacon drippings and brown on all sides quickly. Add 3 Tablespoons of the marinade (liquid only) and cover and simmer for 10 minutes. Add the water, tomato paste, and carrots. Crumble the bacon and add to the meat. 3. Cover and simmer for about 1 1/2 hours, making sure to watch the level of fluids in the dutch oven. Replace with water if it gets too low. When the meat is done, remove the meat and the carrots and keep warm. Stir in the cornstarch to thicken the juices and boil for a short time to the desired consistency. 4. Slice the meat and serve with the gravy and potato dumplings or wide noodles (other German choices include boiled potatoes or baked potatoes) and the carrots. Source: Brigitte Sealing, originally from Berlin, Germany ,Serve them with boiled potatoes, dumplings or noodles........the German way.

Bavarian Sauerbraten ..try this one .It's much better .

Serves 4 Hot Beef Main Course Germany Europe.......at least double/tripple this .

Ingredients

480ml/16fl.oz. Dry Red Wine
    240ml/8fl.oz. Red Wine Vinegar
    120ml/4fl.oz. Water
    2 Onions, cut into wedges
    Leaves from 1 bunch of celery
    Salt
    1 tbsp Sugar
    2 teasp Mustard Seeds
    Freshly grated Nutmeg
    5 Cloves
    1 teasp Black Peppercorns, lightly crushed
    4 Sprigs Fresh Parsley
    2 Bay Leaves, crumbled
    1kg/2.2lb Beef Roasting Joint (Topside, bottom round)Try an eight pound bottom round roast !
    2 tbsp Lard or Vegetable oil
    50g/2oz Gingernut Biscuits, crushed..(.Use GingerSnapps cookies to thicken the red gravey !)

Instructions
    1. Place the wine, vinegar, water, onions, celery leaves, salt, sugar, mustard seeds, nutmeg, cloves, peppercorns, parsley, and bay leaves in a large mixing bowl and mix well.
    2. Add the meat, cover and leave to marinate for 2-3 days (or at least 24 hours) in a cool place, turning several times.
    3. Remove the meat from the marinade (reserving the marinade) pat dry on kitchen paper and season with salt and pepper.
    4. Heat the lard or oil in a large saucepan, add the meat and brown on all sides.
    5. Add the reserved marinade, bring to the boil then reduce the heat, cover and simmer gently for at least 3 hours.
    6. Strain the cooking liquor into a measuring jug then pour about 120ml/4fl.oz. of the liquor into a saucepan. B bring to the boil, then add in the crushed gingernuts and the remaining liquid, a little at a time, stirring constantly.
    7. Continue to boil the sauce, stirring, until thickened. Adjust the seasoning.
    8. To serve - slice the meat and transfer to a warmed serving platter. Pour a little of the sauce over the top and serve the remaining sauce separately in a gravy boat.
    SOUR BEEF WITH GINGER SNAP GRAVY
    (GERMAN) Be sure to make the sweet sour red cabbage to go with it, the tastes complement each other .

1 1/2 lbs. less expensive cut of beef ... Again Abudanza !Use about eight pounds for some leftovers .
    Equal parts of water and vinegar
    1 lg. onion, sliced
    1 tsp. salt
    1/4 c. sugar
    2 tbsp. mixed pickling spices (tied in cloth bag)

Place meat in large bowl and cover with equal parts vinegar and water. Add onion and spices. Let stand overnight or longer (as much as several days). Remove meat from liquid. (Save liquid). Brown meat in heavy skillet in 3 tablespoons shortening. Cook meat slowly for 2 hours or more until tender in the saved pickling liquid. Remove meat, add ginger snaps which have been dissolved in cold water. Cook until thickened. Slice meat and return to gravy.

POTATO DUMPLINGS (To serve with Sour Beef and gravy)
    2 1/2 c. mashed potatoes
    1 1/2 tsp. salt
    1 egg
    Flour
    Croutons or crisp squares of toast

Mix and add enough flour to keep from sticking to hands. Form into balls and use approximately 4 small croutons or toast squares in center to form balls. Boil in salted water (tightly covered vessel) for 20 minutes. Serve with sour beef and gravy. Serves 4.
    Serve on a bed of buttered pan fried german style egg noodles with black beer and sour rye bread .
    GERMAN SWEET - SOUR RED CABBAGE

3 - 4 slices bacon, cut in 1 inch pieces
    1 head thin sliced red cabbage
    1 lg. sliced onion (red preferred)
    2 apples, peeled and sliced
    1/2 c. vinegar
    1/4 c. packed brown sugar (or honey)
    Salt and pepper to taste
    Pinches of choice of spices: Cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice, ginger, saffron

In a large sauce pan, saute bacon until limp but not crisp. Add cabbage, onion and apple slices. Toss to coat with bacon drippings. Cover and simmer until cabbage becomes limp. Add vinegar (red wine vinegar or balsamic vinegar particularly good), honey or sugar and other seasoning. Continue simmering, covered; the longer you simmer, the better the flavor. You may need to add a little more water; check curing the simmering process. Taste and adjust seasoning before serving. Really good leftover and reheated.