1. #1 Some more DUnial 
    BigDaddy44 (943 posts) Wed Jul-02-08 09:34 AM
    Original message
    Limbaugh gets $400 Million
    Advertisements [?]He has evidently signed a new contract through 2016 which includes a 9 figure signing bonus. The link is on the Drudgereport with the big siren. (Yes, its Drudge, I know, but given how he is "in" in right wing circles, I would assume this to be true)

I think (but could be wrong) that Obama's insistence that he doesn't support the Fairness Doctrine might have put this deal over the top. If the Fairness Doctrine DID come back, all bets would be off, and no one would be signing a long term deal like this until they saw what the ramifications would be.

KharmaTrain (1000+ posts) Wed Jul-02-08 09:47 AM
    Response to Original message
    3. Fairness Never Had Anything To Do With It
    In several ways. The misconception that Rushbo the "entertainer" would have been covered by the Fairness Doctrine. That only pertained to public affairs programming and advertising...Rushbo's handlers re-defined talk radio from public service to "entertainment" and thus hate radio was born. It was Deregulation that allowed companies like Cheap Channel and Salem to amass thousands of stations that accelerated the growth of hate radio. Rushbo saved stations lots of money as all they had to do was plug into the satellite rather than hire their own talent...and the saturation of his program has led to the perception that he's a big money personality...in essence he isn't.
    The current move by repugnicans for preventing a new Fairness Doctrine is a black flag operation to prevent re-regulation of broadcasting...something that is badly needed. Their "bill" would prohibit stations from changing formats or even ownership if it meant removing assclowns like Rushbo from the air and opening it up for other voices.

Here's hoping Rushbo is getting paid in stock from these companies...the financial woes of radio have made these stocks all but worthless.
    I wonder how much this DUmmie makes if it thinks $400 million isn't big money.

Not many posts yet but this thread should get fun:
    http://www.democraticunderground.com...ss=389x3553157

Nice to see that the Moonbats haven't given up on their hunt. They won't be happy until the see the Bill Of Right stuffed and hanging over their fire place.

They just hate the idea that people aren't forced to listen to them 24/7 and everyone else is forced to keep their mouth shut.
    CU's Paranormal Expert.

Keep your powder dry, your sword sharp and your wits intact.

Quote Originally Posted by FDK View Post
    This is what happens when poorly educated people discuss economics.

Quote Originally Posted by Gingersnap View Post
    This is what happens when poorly educated people discuss economics.

A lot of educated people can get Masters and still have no common sense. Can't get that in school, not even the Ivy League's

Quote Originally Posted by FDK View Post
    It's too big a number for them to wrap their mind around. They cannot contemplate how many years worth cheetos that would buy.

Of course these are the same folks who have no issue with their multimillionaire liberal leaders calling for higher taxes on the rich. They know nothing about money and it's value, they just follow the bouncing ball.
    Romans 6:18 You have been set free from sin and have become slaves to righteousness.

Differences between Obama and God: God's plan to save us is actually written down for people to read. Rush Limbaugh.

My blog: How Things Look From Here Politics, religion, random stuff, now on Wednesdays!