Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Quote Originally Posted by gator View Post
    "We" wouldn't be asking for it or demanding it. As the leader of the country I would be doing it to help right a wrong. The people of the South were hurt tremendously by the invasion and the murder and it is time to make it right.
    For instance, since the Union sent the 54th Massachusetts Colored Regiment to Florida to kill Floridians and destroy Florida then I think it would be right to require that Massachusetts pay the state tax for Florida for say five years or so.
    Since troops from Illinois help to burn down Atlanta then the State of Illinois should pay the cost of government for Georgia for a few years.
    Does something like that sound equitable?
    Nope. As in the other reparations argument, most of the people living in Georgia and Florida are not descended from people who were there at the time. By the same token, most of the people in Massachussetts and Illinois who live there now are not descended from those who lived there then. In fact, a lot of southerners moved north after the war, and a lot of northerners have moved south in the last few decades, so simply shifting money geographically makes no sense. And even those who are descendents and whose families stayed put can argue that they are not responsible for the actions of their great-great-grandparents, many of whom were drafted or otherwise compelled to fight.
    --Odysseus
    Sic Hacer Pace, Para Bellum.

Before you can do things for people, you must be the kind of man who can get things done. But to get things done, you must love the doing, not the people!

gator
    Quote Originally Posted by Odysseus View Post
    Nope. As in the other reparations argument, most of the people living in Georgia and Florida are not descended from people who were there at the time. By the same token, most of the people in Massachussetts and Illinois who live there now are not descended from those who lived there then. In fact, a lot of southerners moved north after the war, and a lot of northerners have moved south in the last few decades, so simply shifting money geographically makes no sense. And even those who are descendents and whose families stayed put can argue that they are not responsible for the actions of their great-great-grandparents, many of whom were drafted or otherwise compelled to fight.
    This is a discussion for those whose loyalties lie with America. You know, real Americans.

You don't need to concern yourself with things like this. Go read the Tel Aviv News or something instead of concerning yourself with American issues. Maybe you should spend your time figuring out how you can contribute money to the National Israeli Maritime Museum. I saw a report last year that showed they have a memorial to the brave Israeli military that attacked the USS Liberty on June 9th, 1967. You must be very proud.

Goldwater
    This is a discussion for those whose loyalties lie with America. You know, real Americans.

You don't need to concern yourself with things like this. Go read the Tel Aviv News or something instead of concerning yourself with American issues. Maybe you should spend your time figuring out how you can contribute money to the National Israeli Maritime Museum. I saw a report last year that showed they have a memorial to the brave Israeli military that attacked the USS Liberty on June 9th, 1967. You must be very proud.
    lol, your posts are amazing.

<3

I know real Americans. You're not one of them. You abrogated that right when you declared allegiance to a dead secessionist movement. Americans are loyal to the United States of America, not the Confederate States. But, since your reaction to any intelligent disagreement is to get viciously personal, I'll leave you to your little fantasy of slaughtering Israelis and refighting the Civil War. It's better that you have some sort of release, given your mental state and arsenal.
    Last edited by Odysseus; 07-19-2008 at 12:52 AM.
    --Odysseus
    Sic Hacer Pace, Para Bellum.

Before you can do things for people, you must be the kind of man who can get things done. But to get things done, you must love the doing, not the people!